Author Topic: Cousins to Vikes, Brees re-signs, and other NFL free agency news  (Read 21828 times)

Re: Cousins to Vikes, Brees re-signs, and other NFL free agency news
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Only the Jets would pay a ransom to move up in the draft and select the 3rd best QB. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Only the Jets would pay a ransom to move up in the draft and select the 3rd best QB. 

It really does seem like a wild overpay for the #3 pick.

But...

I'd be mildly surprised if the Giants select a QB at #2, as they have more pressing needs. I think they'll probably draft either Nelson or Chubb.

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2018, 09:05:48 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
7-time Patriot Pro-Bowler Matthew Slater in Pittsburgh for a visit, sources say.

Holy molyyyy

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
7-time Patriot Pro-Bowler Matthew Slater in Pittsburgh for a visit, sources say.

Holy molyyyy
I cant even imagine something that would hurt Belichick more.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2018, 09:37:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Maybe they are very high on 3, but not 4, QB’s in the draft. If so, it makes total sense.

« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2018, 11:03:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Maybe they are very high on 3, but not 4, QB’s in the draft. If so, it makes total sense.
Even if they are, they still very possibly get the 3rd best one, which makes it a silly trade to do at this point.  Now sure, at the draft if their guy was still on the board, you make that trade, but right now it is ridiculous.

« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Browns fans are ecstatic with the Jets trade as they now believe they will get their QB at 1 (Darnold is the front runner) and the best non-QB at 4 (Barkley and Chubb are fairly evenly split).  The Giants could still ruin that, but most people seem to think the Giants will either take a QB at 2 or trade the pick to a team that will take a QB.  However even if they take Barkley, that still leaves Chubb for the Browns since the Jets are clearly taking a QB. 

« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2018, 02:31:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Browns fans are ecstatic with the Jets trade as they now believe they will get their QB at 1 (Darnold is the front runner) and the best non-QB at 4 (Barkley and Chubb are fairly evenly split).  The Giants could still ruin that, but most people seem to think the Giants will either take a QB at 2 or trade the pick to a team that will take a QB.  However even if they take Barkley, that still leaves Chubb for the Browns since the Jets are clearly taking a QB. 

It seems very unlikely the Giants will draft a QB with that pick. They just paid out a $5m roster bonus to Eli yesterday and the ownership has seemingly been steadfast in their intentions of keeping him around for at least a few more years. They still believe they can win with him.

I'm really hoping they draft either Nelson or Chubb. I'd be fine with Barkley, too, but drafting an offensive or defensive lineman at the top of the draft would just make so much more sense. Both are positions of great need, and are more important positions than RB anyways.

Trading the pick is another possibility, but I'm hoping that if they do, it's only because someone was willing to offer an overpay like the Jets just did.

« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2018, 02:47:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It seems very unlikely the Giants will draft a QB with that pick. They just paid out a $5m roster bonus to Eli yesterday and the ownership has seemingly been steadfast in their intentions of keeping him around for at least a few more years. They still believe they can win with him.

I'm really hoping they draft either Nelson or Chubb. I'd be fine with Barkley, too, but drafting an offensive or defensive lineman at the top of the draft would just make so much more sense. Both are positions of great need, and are more important positions than RB anyways.

Trading the pick is another possibility, but I'm hoping that if they do, it's only because someone was willing to offer an overpay like the Jets just did.
You just never know when you will be high again and it is hard to pass up on a potential franchise altering QB.  I mean the last time the Giants had a top 5 pick, was the Eli draft.  They may pass on a QB, but it seems like the type of move the Browns would make and you never want to be in that company, especially in a draft that is supposed to be pretty deep at the position at the top. 

« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2018, 03:10:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
If the Giants can get a godfather offer from someone (say the Bills) for that #2 pick, they should jump all over it if they have any hesitation about going QB with 2nd pick.   The Jets set the market with that overpay so the Giants have the starting price for negotiations. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You just never know when you will be high again and it is hard to pass up on a potential franchise altering QB.  I mean the last time the Giants had a top 5 pick, was the Eli draft.  They may pass on a QB, but it seems like the type of move the Browns would make and you never want to be in that company, especially in a draft that is supposed to be pretty deep at the position at the top.
If the NFL draft has proven anything its that drafting a QB at the top of the draft doesn't mean you are drafting a franchise altering QB and its proven you can draft franchise altering QBs in just about any round.

I can see where a team could value a high quality DE or OL over a QB when they already have a QB, this high in the draft.

The NFL has to be hoping that each NY team takes a QB though. As they develop the comparisons to each other, both being young QBs in NY at the same time, will drive storylines in the NFL for a decade, if they are good.

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If the NFL draft has proven anything its that drafting a QB at the top of the draft doesn't mean you are drafting a franchise altering QB and its proven you can draft franchise altering QBs in just about any round.

I can see where a team could value a high quality DE or OL over a QB when they already have a QB, this high in the draft.

The NFL has to be hoping that each NY team takes a QB though. As they develop the comparisons to each other, both being young QBs in NY at the same time, will drive storylines in the NFL for a decade, if they are good.
I'd have no issue with the Giants not taking a QB if Eli was younger or wasn't showing significant signs of aging, but he is trending downward and you usually don't stop a multiple year trend at his age.  I can totally see them giving a last hurrah (while still drafting his replacement at 2), but that seems like what this is, and frankly even at his best Eli was never a guy consistently good enough that you could always count on him like you could with his brother, Brady, and Brees.  I mean his record as a starter is 111-103.  If not for the 2 Super Bowl wins, he would never have a shot at the HOF (and even with the 2 Super Bowls might not even make it).  Eli was a good QB with impeccable health and a long career, but he isn't worth the Giants heavily investing in him at age 37. 

« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

I'd have no issue with the Giants not taking a QB if Eli was younger or wasn't showing significant signs of aging, but he is trending downward and you usually don't stop a multiple year trend at his age.  I can totally see them giving a last hurrah (while still drafting his replacement at 2), but that seems like what this is, and frankly even at his best Eli was never a guy consistently good enough that you could always count on him like you could with his brother, Brady, and Brees.  I mean his record as a starter is 111-103.  If not for the 2 Super Bowl wins, he would never have a shot at the HOF (and even with the 2 Super Bowls might not even make it).  Eli was a good QB with impeccable health and a long career, but he isn't worth the Giants heavily investing in him at age 37.
Well not only do they have their starter right now in Eli, but they also have Davis Webb, who they are high on and took in the 3rd round last year. Plus none of these quarterback prospects are can't miss prospects. The real blue chip guys are Chubb and Barkley. Plus the Giants have a lot of holes, it's not like they're a QB away from being contenders. Add in the fact that they could potentially trade down, land a draft pick haul, and still pick one of their guys, it would be very surprising if the Giants stay at 2 and take a QB.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Well, it seems pretty clear their ownership doesn't share your view of Eli. Paying him the $5m roster bonus pretty much confirms that.

I'd also argue his "decline" has had a lot more to do with his offensive line being complete garbage the last few seasons. Hopefully they've done enough to rectify that.

Also, I don't really view any of the QB's in this draft as can't miss prospects. None of them are on the level Eli was considered as being on coming out of Ole Miss.

Getting an elite DE or OL just seems like the more prudent choice.

« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2018, 06:49:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Well, it seems pretty clear their ownership doesn't share your view of Eli. Paying him the $5m roster bonus pretty much confirms that.

I'd also argue his "decline" has had a lot more to do with his offensive line being complete garbage the last few seasons. Hopefully they've done enough to rectify that.

Also, I don't really view any of the QB's in this draft as can't miss prospects. None of them are on the level Eli was considered as being on coming out of Ole Miss.

Getting an elite DE or OL just seems like the more prudent choice.
them picking up the roster bonus doesn't say that at all, it just says Eli will be on the team this season.  I mean the Browns traded draft picks in this draft to pick up a mid tier starting QB and yet they almost certainly will draft a QB at 1.  Basically all of the major sports sites list QB as a draft need for the Giants.  The draft is loaded with top tier prospects.  If the Giants stay there the odds that they pick a QB at 2 is way over 50%.  They might not of course, but all signs point that way.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:27:08 AM by Moranis »