Author Topic: Cousins to Vikes, Brees re-signs, and other NFL free agency news  (Read 21825 times)

Re: Cousins to Vikes, Brees re-signs, and other NFL free agency news
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2018, 03:59:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Well, after you go 0-16, there really is only one direction to go by default so.....
true, but I actually think they will be a good bad team.  What I mean is a 6 or 7 win team that is in every game and is a tough out.  Obviously they could still royally mess up the draft, but I like what they've done this off season.  Taylor is a good solid consistent QB.  Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson are a nice combo at RB.  Jarvis Landry paired with Josh Gordon is a crazy good 1/2 punch at WR (that is of course if Gordon can keep his head on straight).  Randall should be a lot better at FS and they already had talent in the secondary.  Put them with all their young defensive talent, like Garrett, plus whatever they get at 1 and 4 and there other 4 picks in the top 70 or so, and they should be a young team on the rise, but finally should have fairly stable QB play (while they groom whomever they take in the draft).

They now have a former head coach in both the Defensive Coordinator and Offensive Coordinator slots, so they have good coaching on both sides.  And they brought in an established experienced GM that has put together a very nice off season.  The draft is obviously the key, but the Browns should be a team on the rise.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2018, 05:27:22 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Pats re-signed Burkhead, which is big, especially after losing Lewis. Hopefully Burkhead is healthier this season, but despite injuries last season he produced 500 total yards and 8 total touchdowns. He and White are a great tandem.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Not feeling good about losing Lewis.  I thought he was really underrated.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2018, 07:39:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Pats re-signed Burkhead, which is big, especially after losing Lewis. Hopefully Burkhead is healthier this season, but despite injuries last season he produced 500 total yards and 8 total touchdowns. He and White are a great tandem.

The Pats really need a Blount replacement, somebody who can eat yards and clock with a lead, or power for a key 1-3 yards in big spots.  I imagine Gilislee was supposed to be that guy, but wasn't able to stay healthy and/or produce last year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

The Pats really need a Blount replacement, somebody who can eat yards and clock with a lead, or power for a key 1-3 yards in big spots.  I imagine Gilislee was supposed to be that guy, but wasn't able to stay healthy and/or produce last year.

Gillislee was totally supposed to be that guy but struggled all season, though maybe injuries had something to do with that.

But you're right, they need someone who's good in goal-line and other short-yardage situations.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2018, 08:34:34 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Kind of funny to see the mass exodus of talent leaving the Patriots.

Um, no.
The players are just going to places where they are getting paid more. Period.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Pats acquired the other McCourty for a 6th round pick swap. Good deal.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

So Belichick has made two subsequent deals with CLE after the bruhahah about the Jimmy G no deal.

Seems to lend more credence to the idea that he was doing Jimmy G a favor with the SF deal/CLE no deal.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2018, 04:36:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

So Belichick has made two subsequent deals with CLE after the bruhahah about the Jimmy G no deal.

Seems to lend more credence to the idea that he was doing Jimmy G a favor with the SF deal/CLE no deal.
Oh, I have no doubts about that. Remember how he waxed poetic about Jimmy at the presser after the trade? I've only heard him talk like that when he traded Vince.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
3 mil cap hit for McCourty who figures to be a high end #2 corner if he stays healthy (this has been an issue for him).

Terrific trade. Feel pretty good about Gilmore-McCourty-Jones-Rowe at the corner position.

Now we need to address the LT position, acquire a few linebackers, and draft a QB to develop.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2018, 04:57:58 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Good deal. Ensures they get him on his reasonable salary (instead of trying to sign him as a FA), and preserves their ability to get two third round compensatory picks next year (Butler and Solder). EDIT: It turns out it doesn't matter how a player is acquired; whether trade or sign as a FA, it still affects compensatory draft pick formula.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:06:11 PM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Now we need to address the LT position, acquire a few linebackers, and draft a QB to develop.
And hope we won't need a new TE.

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2018, 08:12:51 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
We are being linked to Jeremy Hill and Adrian Clayborn now.

Clayborn sounds a little expensive but would love hill on a cheap contract.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2018, 10:28:52 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987

You spoke too soon; Lions TE Eric Ebron is going to pay a visit to the Patriots this Sunday.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2018, 07:30:07 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

You spoke too soon; Lions TE Eric Ebron is going to pay a visit to the Patriots this Sunday.

A dual TE lineup of Gronk and Ebron, along with getting Edelman back should make our offense even better than last year. Assuming Brady doesn't get blown up from the edge every drive.
#JKJB