Author Topic: Cousins to Vikes, Brees re-signs, and other NFL free agency news  (Read 21831 times)

Re: Cousins to Vikes, Brees re-signs, and other NFL free agency news
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Solder will receive a four-year, $60 million contract, with a guarantee of about $35 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

That’s got to put him at or near the top for OL, right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2018, 11:39:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Solder will receive a four-year, $60 million contract, with a guarantee of about $35 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Precise figure is $62 million. Top paid OL in the league by a good margin (second highest is something like $13.4 million this season).

Say hello to Marcus Cannon, your day 1 starting LT.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Solder gone now too.

What's the difference in quality between the Pats roster and the rest of the awful AFC East?  Just Tom Brady and Gronk, right?  And Gronk might retire and is injured half the time even if he doesn't.

Unless there's some other shoe to drop here it feels like the Pats are heading for another mediocre "Brady and a bunch of guys win the AFC East by default and are otherwise unremarkable" type season.

If they don't shore up the offensive line, though, maybe they won't even manage that.  Brady might not be able to play the full season if he gets knocked around a bunch.

I don't know what they're gonna do, but I'm not having visions of sugar plums dancing in my head. Even when the Pats technically have the players they need, they still oftentimes end up in trouble via injuries, so now that they don't even technically have the players they need? ... Could get ugly.

Belichick's pretty good at taking castoffs from other teams and making them productive players, but that works only when the team has studs at certain positions, and then Bill fills in around them with the reclamation projects. Right now, though, it seems the team has too many fill-in players and not enough studs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »

• Satch Sanders

Precise figure is $62 million. Top paid OL in the league by a good margin (second highest is something like $13.4 million this season).

Yikes.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Yikes.
What, you'd rather have Cam Flemming? Because those were the guys they had in at LT when Solder had to miss snaps.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yikes.
What, you'd rather have Cam Flemming? Because those were the guys they had in at LT when Solder had to miss snaps.

Cannon's adequate.  Pretty safe bet that they'll got O-Line with either their 1st rounder or one of their two 2nd rounders.  Probably can get a guy that'll start Day 1.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Yikes.

Cannon's adequate.  Pretty safe bet that they'll got O-Line with either their 1st rounder or one of their two 2nd rounders.  Probably can get a guy that'll start Day 1.
The problem with Cannon is that he's one season removed from being a turnstile. Also he seemed to tail off down the road this season.

I'm not big on college football, but is there even a guy who's ready to come in and start right away? I can't imagine they'll go with a revolving door at LT. At any other position, worst-case scenario is giving up a TD or having to punt... at LT, you risk having someone take your 40-odd year old QB's head off.

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2018, 12:19:00 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Yikes.

No, I'd rather have someone who's really good, which isn't either of those guys.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2018, 01:01:34 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
There are many reasons why a free agent will leave a team. Would one of them, for some of the now former Patriot players this offseason, be the uncertainty surrounding this team? I’m sorry, but Brady has become a circus attraction and feels bigger than the team. Brady's age has to be a major concern from year-to-year now. Would their decisions have been different if Garoppolo was the starting QB going forward?

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
No, I'd rather have someone who's really good, which isn't either of those guys.
Well, market says that's going to cost you $15 million per :P

But even that's moot, because there really isn't anyone available at this stage.

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2018, 01:18:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

To answer your question, he is the highest paid offensive lineman ever.

Can't blame NE for balking here. All 4 guys who have left, have been overpaid. Tough to see all these guys gone.

We have 22 mil in cap now, and 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. Also worth noting we are likely to pick up 4 comp picks in next years draft including 3rd round comp picks for Solder and Butler.

We have a gaping need at tackle. We are desperate for linebacker and cornerback depth and need a QB prospect.

I'd like to take a tackle in the first. Maybe even use a future pick to move up and get one. Then address CB and QB in the rest of the draft.

Sign some linebackers in free agency and pray Brady still has another year or 2 of MVP caliber play.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2018, 01:20:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
There are many reasons why a free agent will leave a team. Would one of them, for some of the now former Patriot players this offseason, be the uncertainty surrounding this team? I’m sorry, but Brady has become a circus attraction and feels bigger than the team. Brady's age has to be a major concern from year-to-year now. Would their decisions have been different if Garoppolo was the starting QB going forward?
Nate Solder became the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history.

That's why he's gone.

If you think Danny Amendola left because he didn't want to play with Tom Brady I don't know what to tell you.

Butler was gone no matter what and Dion got paid too.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:26:08 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Nate Solder became the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history.

That's why he's gone.

If you think Danny Amendola left because he didn't want to play with Tom Brady I don't know what to tell you.

Butler was gone no matter what and Dion got paid too.
All four guys left because they were offered considerably more money than they would have gotten in New England. There are only that many team-friendly deals one can take.

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Those guy should get paid too.

Earning window is so darn narrow with NFL players.  The nature of the contracts suck too.  Those guys should be chasing every guaranteed dollar they can.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2018, 01:40:01 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kind of funny to see the mass exodus of talent leaving the Patriots. Players are realizing the writing is on the wall and the franchises time in the sun is over. Once Brady retires soon they'll be back in the basement, with little hope of getting out any time soon. Should have kept Jimmy G.