Author Topic: Cousins to Vikes, Brees re-signs, and other NFL free agency news  (Read 21830 times)

Re: Cousins to Vikes, Brees re-signs, and other NFL free agency news
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2018, 10:17:25 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
7-time Patriot Pro-Bowler Matthew Slater in Pittsburgh for a visit, sources say.

Holy molyyyy
Well, they got Patterson who plays gunner, so Slater might be gone.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2018, 11:15:56 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Browns fans are ecstatic with the Jets trade as they now believe they will get their QB at 1 (Darnold is the front runner) and the best non-QB at 4 (Barkley and Chubb are fairly evenly split).  The Giants could still ruin that, but most people seem to think the Giants will either take a QB at 2 or trade the pick to a team that will take a QB.  However even if they take Barkley, that still leaves Chubb for the Browns since the Jets are clearly taking a QB. 

It seems very unlikely the Giants will draft a QB with that pick. They just paid out a $5m roster bonus to Eli yesterday and the ownership has seemingly been steadfast in their intentions of keeping him around for at least a few more years. They still believe they can win with him.

I'm really hoping they draft either Nelson or Chubb. I'd be fine with Barkley, too, but drafting an offensive or defensive lineman at the top of the draft would just make so much more sense. Both are positions of great need, and are more important positions than RB anyways.

Trading the pick is another possibility, but I'm hoping that if they do, it's only because someone was willing to offer an overpay like the Jets just did.
You just never know when you will be high again and it is hard to pass up on a potential franchise altering QB.  I mean the last time the Giants had a top 5 pick, was the Eli draft.  They may pass on a QB, but it seems like the type of move the Browns would make and you never want to be in that company, especially in a draft that is supposed to be pretty deep at the position at the top.
If the NFL draft has proven anything its that drafting a QB at the top of the draft doesn't mean you are drafting a franchise altering QB and its proven you can draft franchise altering QBs in just about any round.

I can see where a team could value a high quality DE or OL over a QB when they already have a QB, this high in the draft.

The NFL has to be hoping that each NY team takes a QB though. As they develop the comparisons to each other, both being young QBs in NY at the same time, will drive storylines in the NFL for a decade, if they are good.
I'd have no issue with the Giants not taking a QB if Eli was younger or wasn't showing significant signs of aging, but he is trending downward and you usually don't stop a multiple year trend at his age.  I can totally see them giving a last hurrah (while still drafting his replacement at 2), but that seems like what this is, and frankly even at his best Eli was never a guy consistently good enough that you could always count on him like you could with his brother, Brady, and Brees.  I mean his record as a starter is 111-103.  If not for the 2 Super Bowl wins, he would never have a shot at the HOF (and even with the 2 Super Bowls might not even make it).  Eli was a good QB with impeccable health and a long career, but he isn't worth the Giants heavily investing in him at age 37. 

Well, it seems pretty clear their ownership doesn't share your view of Eli. Paying him the $5m roster bonus pretty much confirms that.

I'd also argue his "decline" has had a lot more to do with his offensive line being complete garbage the last few seasons. Hopefully they've done enough to rectify that.

Also, I don't really view any of the QB's in this draft as can't miss prospects. None of them are on the level Eli was considered as being on coming out of Ole Miss.

Getting an elite DE or OL just seems like the more prudent choice.
them picking up the roster bonus doesn't say that at all, it just says Eli will be on the team this season.  I mean the Browns traded draft picks in this draft to pick up a mid tier starting QB and yet they almost certainly will draft a QB at 1.  Basically all of the major sports sites list QB as a draft need for the Giants.  The draft is loaded with top tier prospects.  If the Giants stay there the odds that they pick a QB at 2 is way over 50%.  They might not of course, but all signs point that way.

You don't pay out that kind of roster bonus to a player who isn't part of your future, and you don't draft a QB with the #2 pick if you are going to have them sit behind someone else for a couple years. All signs coming out of NY seem to point to them selecting someone else besides a QB. Anyone who is paying attention can see this.

The only way I see the Giants taking a QB is if the Browns screw up and don't draft Darnold, as he really the only one that even remotely resembles a "can't miss franchise QB".   Even then, I think the Giants would be more likely to trade the pick for a haul that exceeds what the Jets received.

The Browns are in a great position, having picks 1 and 4. But expecting them to get the best QB and best non-QB, seems like wishful thinking.   The Giants would be making a huge mistake to take the 2nd best QB when they have other bigger needs. And I don't expect them to make such mistake, they usually make smarter decisions than that.

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2018, 11:24:29 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Browns fans are ecstatic with the Jets trade as they now believe they will get their QB at 1 (Darnold is the front runner) and the best non-QB at 4 (Barkley and Chubb are fairly evenly split).  The Giants could still ruin that, but most people seem to think the Giants will either take a QB at 2 or trade the pick to a team that will take a QB.  However even if they take Barkley, that still leaves Chubb for the Browns since the Jets are clearly taking a QB. 

It seems very unlikely the Giants will draft a QB with that pick. They just paid out a $5m roster bonus to Eli yesterday and the ownership has seemingly been steadfast in their intentions of keeping him around for at least a few more years. They still believe they can win with him.

I'm really hoping they draft either Nelson or Chubb. I'd be fine with Barkley, too, but drafting an offensive or defensive lineman at the top of the draft would just make so much more sense. Both are positions of great need, and are more important positions than RB anyways.

Trading the pick is another possibility, but I'm hoping that if they do, it's only because someone was willing to offer an overpay like the Jets just did.
You just never know when you will be high again and it is hard to pass up on a potential franchise altering QB.  I mean the last time the Giants had a top 5 pick, was the Eli draft.  They may pass on a QB, but it seems like the type of move the Browns would make and you never want to be in that company, especially in a draft that is supposed to be pretty deep at the position at the top.
If the NFL draft has proven anything its that drafting a QB at the top of the draft doesn't mean you are drafting a franchise altering QB and its proven you can draft franchise altering QBs in just about any round.

I can see where a team could value a high quality DE or OL over a QB when they already have a QB, this high in the draft.

The NFL has to be hoping that each NY team takes a QB though. As they develop the comparisons to each other, both being young QBs in NY at the same time, will drive storylines in the NFL for a decade, if they are good.
I'd have no issue with the Giants not taking a QB if Eli was younger or wasn't showing significant signs of aging, but he is trending downward and you usually don't stop a multiple year trend at his age.  I can totally see them giving a last hurrah (while still drafting his replacement at 2), but that seems like what this is, and frankly even at his best Eli was never a guy consistently good enough that you could always count on him like you could with his brother, Brady, and Brees.  I mean his record as a starter is 111-103.  If not for the 2 Super Bowl wins, he would never have a shot at the HOF (and even with the 2 Super Bowls might not even make it).  Eli was a good QB with impeccable health and a long career, but he isn't worth the Giants heavily investing in him at age 37. 

Well, it seems pretty clear their ownership doesn't share your view of Eli. Paying him the $5m roster bonus pretty much confirms that.

I'd also argue his "decline" has had a lot more to do with his offensive line being complete garbage the last few seasons. Hopefully they've done enough to rectify that.

Also, I don't really view any of the QB's in this draft as can't miss prospects. None of them are on the level Eli was considered as being on coming out of Ole Miss.

them picking up the roster bonus doesn't say that at all, it just says Eli will be on the team this season.  I mean the Browns traded draft picks in this draft to pick up a mid tier starting QB and yet they almost certainly will draft a QB at 1.  Basically all of the major sports sites list QB as a draft need for the Giants.  The draft is loaded with top tier prospects.  If the Giants stay there the odds that they pick a QB at 2 is way over 50%.  They might not of course, but all signs point that way.

You don't pay out that kind of roster bonus to a player who isn't part of your future, and you don't draft a QB with the #2 pick if you are going to have them sit behind someone else for a couple years. All signs coming out of NY seem to point to them selecting someone else besides a QB. Anyone who is paying attention can see this.

The only way I see the Giants taking a QB is if the Browns screw up and don't draft Darnold, as he really the only one that even remotely resembles a "can't miss franchise QB".   Even then, I think the Giants would be more likely to trade the pick for a haul that exceeds what the Jets received.

The Browns are in a great position, having picks 1 and 4. But expecting them to get the best QB and best non-QB, seems like wishful thinking.   The Giants would be making a huge mistake to take the 2nd best QB when they have other bigger needs. And I don't expect them to make such mistake, they usually make smarter decisions than that.

A roster bonus doesn't count toward the cap and $5m is peanuts to an NFL owner.  In New York, $5m is well worth preventing the fan base from revolting after choosing to get worse than 1-15 or whatever they finished last year.  And maybe in recent years a QB getting drafted #2 means he'll start right away, but certainly QBs get drafted high and sit for a year or two.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2018, 11:45:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

They picked up the roster bonus because it is either pick up the roster bonus or cut Eli, leaving them with Davis Webb and a rookie, which is a terrible spot to be in.  In addition, the dead cap money on Eli would have been over 12 million in lost money.  Cutting him just didn't make sense and with the roster bonus, Eli's contract is 22.2 million next year.  It isn't a completely crippling contract. And they can cut him next off season with a dead cap hit of just 6.2 million.

I guess only time will tell, but if they stay at 2 and pass on a QB, they will almost certainly be drafting one in the first round next year, and probably from a much worse draft spot, which could easily lead to them picking QB's off and on for years. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

A roster bonus doesn't count toward the cap and $5m is peanuts to an NFL owner.  In New York, $5m is well worth preventing the fan base from revolting after choosing to get worse than 1-15 or whatever they finished last year.  And maybe in recent years a QB getting drafted #2 means he'll start right away, but certainly QBs get drafted high and sit for a year or two.

Eli's roster bonus absolutely counts against the Giants salary cap. It's right here: http://spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning-4348/

The bottom line is, the Giants have made it known they believe Eli still has multiple years left as a guy that can lead the team, with new head coach Mike Shurmur going so far as to state, "We believe Eli has got years left as a starting quarterback in this league, and we're excited that he's here". Also, you must remember, the former GM and head coach were both fired literally the week after Eli was benched for a single game. Ownership was furious about that. So right or wrong, Eli is clearly their guy.

« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Eli's roster bonus absolutely counts against the Giants salary cap. It's right here: http://spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning-4348/

The bottom line is, the Giants have made it known they believe Eli still has multiple years left as a guy that can lead the team, with new head coach Mike Shurmur going so far as to state, "We believe Eli has got years left as a starting quarterback in this league, and we're excited that he's here". Also, you must remember, the former GM and head coach were both fired literally the week after Eli was benched for a single game. Ownership was furious about that. So right or wrong, Eli is clearly their guy.
What is the new coach supposed to say?  I fully expect Eli to start at QB for the year, while the QB they draft at 2 learns behind him.  I mean that is exactly what the Giants did with Eli.  They brought Kurt Warner in to start until they felt Eli was ready. 

« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

What is the new coach supposed to say?  I fully expect Eli to start at QB for the year, while the QB they draft at 2 learns behind him.  I mean that is exactly what the Giants did with Eli.  They brought Kurt Warner in to start until they felt Eli was ready. 

If you can't or aren't willing to recognize the difference between the Giants bringing in an at the time thought to be washed up Kurt Warner to act as a stop gap until Eli was ready (Eli was widely recognized as a true franchise QB, something none of this year's QB's are though to be), and the Giants sticking with said franchise QB of the last decade plus, and building around him, then there's no point in discussing this with you further. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point and are ignoring all the obvious signs.

Literally every action the Giants have taken up until now point to them viewing Eli as someone they can still build around. But even more important than any of that is the simple fact none of the QB's in this draft are good enough to warrant throwing away the opportunity to build around the franchise QB they already have.

We'll see what happens next month.

« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
7-time Patriot Pro-Bowler Matthew Slater in Pittsburgh for a visit, sources say.

Holy molyyyy
yeah, the Patterson move was not a good sign for Slater, but we also did lose Bademosi who was a great ST guy and Jonathan Jones presumably will play a larger role on defense next year so we probably want to keep him off ST as much as possible. Furthermore, we lost Lewis and Amendola and probably won't bring Reedy back, so we are pretty devoid of guys who can return kicks.

It's possible Patterson was brought in as a response to losing Bademosi/Jones as gunners and Lewis/Reedy as returners rather than in anticipation of losing Slater, but I wouldnt expect Slater back at this point. We already are paying Ebner and Patterson fairly big money to be special teamers.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2018, 01:53:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If you can't or aren't willing to recognize the difference between the Giants bringing in an at the time thought to be washed up Kurt Warner to act as a stop gap until Eli was ready (Eli was widely recognized as a true franchise QB, something none of this year's QB's are though to be), and the Giants sticking with said franchise QB of the last decade plus, and building around him, then there's no point in discussing this with you further. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point and are ignoring all the obvious signs.

Literally every action the Giants have taken up until now point to them viewing Eli as someone they can still build around. But even more important than any of that is the simple fact none of the QB's in this draft are good enough to warrant throwing away the opportunity to build around the franchise QB they already have.

We'll see what happens next month.
um, the Jets gave up the farm to move up to 3.  The Bills have contacted both the Browns and Giants about 1 and 2.  I'm not sure why you don't think these QB's are thought of highly because teams in the league absolutely do, that is why they are all trying to move up.  Eli is on a pretty steady 3 year decline.  he is 37.  The Giants are saying what they are because he is their guy right now and has been their guy for 12 years, but the writing is all over the wall that he isn't long for the NFL and the Giants absolutely know this. 

« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2018, 02:49:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Holy molyyyy
yeah, the Patterson move was not a good sign for Slater, but we also did lose Bademosi who was a great ST guy and Jonathan Jones presumably will play a larger role on defense next year so we probably want to keep him off ST as much as possible. Furthermore, we lost Lewis and Amendola and probably won't bring Reedy back, so we are pretty devoid of guys who can return kicks.

It's possible Patterson was brought in as a response to losing Bademosi/Jones as gunners and Lewis/Reedy as returners rather than in anticipation of losing Slater, but I wouldnt expect Slater back at this point. We already are paying Ebner and Patterson fairly big money to be special teamers.
Didn't realize that. It's shocking that he now makes pretty much the same money as Patterson.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Holy molyyyy

Didn't realize that. It's shocking that he now makes pretty much the same money as Patterson.
yeah, he's overpaid a little bit, but he provides solid corner depth and is a great special teamer.

I think his corner play is a bit underrated because people overreacted to his mediocre SB performance. He's pretty decent on that end.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2018, 03:23:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
um, the Jets gave up the farm to move up to 3.  The Bills have contacted both the Browns and Giants about 1 and 2.  I'm not sure why you don't think these QB's are thought of highly because teams in the league absolutely do, that is why they are all trying to move up.  Eli is on a pretty steady 3 year decline.  he is 37.  The Giants are saying what they are because he is their guy right now and has been their guy for 12 years, but the writing is all over the wall that he isn't long for the NFL and the Giants absolutely know this.

Sure but it doesn't necessarily mean they HAVE to go QB in the first round or with the 2nd pick

Just because the Browns & Jets (2 notoriously horrible evaluators of QB talent in recent memory) seem to be high on this QB crop, doesn't mean the Giants & others feel the same way.    If you're going to drafting a QB in the top 5 of the draft, you have to be [dang] sure of the kid (or talked yourself into the kid, which can get you in trouble) because they're going to be the franchise whether its this fall or 3 falls from now.   You swing & miss on a QB here and it can set you back years because of the commitment.

Eli is certainly getting long in the tooth but that doesn't mean that the Giants have to go QB here if they're not enamored with this crop.  They can say the hell with it, stand pat at #2, and draft who they feel is the best non-QB available and perhaps go QB later on in the draft or just say the hell with it for the QB crop for this year.

Or, they can look for another team that seems to be star-eyed about this year's QB crop (looking at you, Buffalo) and trade for a king's ransom of a package (which should use the Jets deal as a starting point).  Then do what they need to do with picks which includes the possibility of going with a QB a tier or two down from where Darnold/Rosen/Allen seem to be with organizations. 

There's also the whole idea that you can address the QB situation via other avenues like trade or FA.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

These are good points, and I think more convincing than the $5m roster bonus.

The roster bonus definitely doesn’t scream that he’s their guy to me, at least not beyond this year. They might want a bridge to their starter next year, or want to “do right” by their franchise guy of the past decade. You could be right, I just don’t think the roster bonus is the most compelling evidence.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
yeah, he's overpaid a little bit, but he provides solid corner depth and is a great special teamer.

I think his corner play is a bit underrated because people overreacted to his mediocre SB performance. He's pretty decent on that end.
He is worse than Rowe and Rowe is pretty bad.

« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Sure but it doesn't necessarily mean they HAVE to go QB in the first round or with the 2nd pick

Just because the Browns & Jets (2 notoriously horrible evaluators of QB talent in recent memory) seem to be high on this QB crop, doesn't mean the Giants & others feel the same way.    If you're going to drafting a QB in the top 5 of the draft, you have to be [dang] sure of the kid (or talked yourself into the kid, which can get you in trouble) because they're going to be the franchise whether its this fall or 3 falls from now.   You swing & miss on a QB here and it can set you back years because of the commitment.

Eli is certainly getting long in the tooth but that doesn't mean that the Giants have to go QB here if they're not enamored with this crop.  They can say the hell with it, stand pat at #2, and draft who they feel is the best non-QB available and perhaps go QB later on in the draft or just say the hell with it for the QB crop for this year.

Or, they can look for another team that seems to be star-eyed about this year's QB crop (looking at you, Buffalo) and trade for a king's ransom of a package (which should use the Jets deal as a starting point).  Then do what they need to do with picks which includes the possibility of going with a QB a tier or two down from where Darnold/Rosen/Allen seem to be with organizations. 

There's also the whole idea that you can address the QB situation via other avenues like trade or FA.   
Oh I don't think they have to, I just think they will, if they stay here.

CBS put out a mock this morning that had the Giants trading with the Bills (2 for 12, 22, 56, 2019 1st) and then had the Giants moving back into the top ten by trading with the Niners for #9 (12, 56, 74) where the Giants then took Mayfield.  Seems strange to project trades like that, but I can totally see the Giants doing both of those trades if the picks work out like that. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/two-round-2018-nfl-mock-draft-giants-trade-down-then-up-as-qbs-go-1-2-3/