Author Topic: UPDATE: Smart undergoes surgery, out indefinitely  (Read 23600 times)

Re: UPDATE: Smart undergoes surgery, out indefinitely
« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2018, 07:34:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
His last game as a Celtic has been played, sucks to see him go out like that.
I think it's entirely possible he is back either in the playoffs or next year.

Me too.

Which team is going to give Smart $9 million plus. The guy is worth bringing back at that amount.
Ultimately, I think Smart gets more than that in the open market.  It's going to be a tough decision if he gets to unrestricted free agency.
I find it hard to see Smart getting more than the $8+ million a year that an MLE player gets. Roberson got $10 million a year in a better market. Lou Williams got only $8 million a year in this market. Smart shot like crap this year. Was out 11 games because of a maturity issue when he punched a picture. Now he's out for weeks with another injury.

Smart might need to take the qualifying offer and attempt to significantly improve his shot while establishing value greater than the MLE to get a big payday.
Lou Williams wasn't in the market
Splitting hairs here Moranis. Maybe more accurate to say Lou Williams only got $8 million a year just a couple of months ago with a contract extension, but I think the vast majority of people, like everyone but you, know what I meant by saying what I did.
extensions though are limited in what they can be.  He just wanted stability, but he wasn't in the market so you can't really use him as an example of the market.

I think there is a chance Phoenix offers Smart 10+ million a year.  He would be a very nice fit with Booker and they have a real need at that position (Payton trade not with standing) and the cap space to do it.  I don't think Phoenix is the only team with cap space that will look at Smart either.  This won't be a crazy market like a couple of seasons ago, but there will be teams with room that will look very hard at signing Smart at a fairly reasonable price (like 10-11 million a year).
If I were the Phoenix owner and the GM suggested signing Smart, I'd fire him on the spot.  The Suns are a lousy team.  If they sign Smart, they'd still be a lousy team but have 10-11M less cap space per your suggestion.   Assuming they can't sign a star caliber player, they need to use their cap space for taking on salary dumps.
they don't need more young guys or later 1st round picks.  They have plenty of young players.  What they need is someone like Smart that hustled, defends, does the dirty work, etc.  He is worth a lot more to a team like Phoenix then he would be worth to a contender.
Completely disagree.  Smart makes a lot more sense for a contender with good offense players that needs to shore up its defense.  Smart wouldn't make the Suns significantly better.  Most of their young players aren't even mediocre.
the Suns have a lot of offense in Booker and Warren on the wing. Smart is the perfect compliment to them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2018, 08:10:56 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Me too.

Which team is going to give Smart $9 million plus. The guy is worth bringing back at that amount.
Ultimately, I think Smart gets more than that in the open market.  It's going to be a tough decision if he gets to unrestricted free agency.
I find it hard to see Smart getting more than the $8+ million a year that an MLE player gets. Roberson got $10 million a year in a better market. Lou Williams got only $8 million a year in this market. Smart shot like crap this year. Was out 11 games because of a maturity issue when he punched a picture. Now he's out for weeks with another injury.

Smart might need to take the qualifying offer and attempt to significantly improve his shot while establishing value greater than the MLE to get a big payday.
Splitting hairs here Moranis. Maybe more accurate to say Lou Williams only got $8 million a year just a couple of months ago with a contract extension, but I think the vast majority of people, like everyone but you, know what I meant by saying what I did.
extensions though are limited in what they can be.  He just wanted stability, but he wasn't in the market so you can't really use him as an example of the market.

I think there is a chance Phoenix offers Smart 10+ million a year.  He would be a very nice fit with Booker and they have a real need at that position (Payton trade not with standing) and the cap space to do it.  I don't think Phoenix is the only team with cap space that will look at Smart either.  This won't be a crazy market like a couple of seasons ago, but there will be teams with room that will look very hard at signing Smart at a fairly reasonable price (like 10-11 million a year).
If I were the Phoenix owner and the GM suggested signing Smart, I'd fire him on the spot.  The Suns are a lousy team.  If they sign Smart, they'd still be a lousy team but have 10-11M less cap space per your suggestion.   Assuming they can't sign a star caliber player, they need to use their cap space for taking on salary dumps.
they don't need more young guys or later 1st round picks.  They have plenty of young players.  What they need is someone like Smart that hustled, defends, does the dirty work, etc.  He is worth a lot more to a team like Phoenix then he would be worth to a contender.
Completely disagree.  Smart makes a lot more sense for a contender with good offense players that needs to shore up its defense.  Smart wouldn't make the Suns significantly better.  Most of their young players aren't even mediocre.
the Suns have a lot of offense in Booker and Warren on the wing. Smart is the perfect compliment to them.
The Suns offensive rating is at the bottom of the league.  They're only scoring 104.3 ppg even though they are 2nd in pace.  They're defense is at the bottom of the league too but adding Smart isn't going to do much to improve that. 

« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2018, 08:13:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Me too.

The Suns offensive rating is at the bottom of the league.  They're only scoring 104.3 ppg even though they are 2nd in pace.  They're defense is at the bottom of the league too but adding Smart isn't going to do much to improve that.

They’ve got to hope Josh Jackson fills the Smart role, right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2018, 10:43:01 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
http://twitter.com/celtics/status/974756141069754369

6-8 weeks. That’s going to be really pushing it for Smart.

I could see Smart making it back by sometime in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Even if he can't shoot well with it, just being a defensive pest could help us a lot.
Should we read anything into the wording?  6-8 for basketball activities doesn’t sound like 6-8 weeks to come back.

« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
It seems we won't see much from Smart till the end of season. A little bit more than Hayward.

« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

Me too.

"what they need is someone like smart that hustles and defends"

Its about time I read a worth while take on what Smart brings to Boston. You nailed it!

These so called Fans who want Smart gone haven't a clue about team Basketball. Its not all about jacking up three's and hanging out with Durant. Just ask Larry Brown who built a Champion out of lunch pail type players back in 04 and 05..

Smart haters "please go back to the basement" please!

« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2018, 10:42:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Me too.

a large part of that is they have pretty poor offensive players at the 1, 4, and 5 spots on the floor.  I realize Smart is also a poor offensive player, but he is a much better fit next to Warren and Booker (who are both excellent offensive players) than Payton and everyone else on the Suns.  They may just decide to re-up Payton and not risk Boston matching, but Phoenix makes a heck of a lot of sense as a destination for Smart, and if they let Payton walk, they will have 10 million+ to offer Smart.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2018, 10:55:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Bullpett thinks Danny will re-sign him, especially since the market will be soft.

« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2018, 12:12:35 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Me too.

a large part of that is they have pretty poor offensive players at the 1, 4, and 5 spots on the floor.  I realize Smart is also a poor offensive player, but he is a much better fit next to Warren and Booker (who are both excellent offensive players) than Payton and everyone else on the Suns.  They may just decide to re-up Payton and not risk Boston matching, but Phoenix makes a heck of a lot of sense as a destination for Smart, and if they let Payton walk, they will have 10 million+ to offer Smart.
A team as bad as the Suns doesn't and shouldn't focus on defensive fit.  Let's say he's a great fit for the Suns which I don't particularly agree with.  What does that make them 5th or 6th worse team rather than the 1st or 2nd worst team?  The Suns need to focus on talent not fit. 

« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2018, 12:19:04 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Bullpett thinks Danny will re-sign him, especially since the market will be soft.
I'd agree with that.  I wouldn't be surprised if Smart takes his qualifying offer and tries again in 2019 free agency as a UFA when teams may have a bit more cap space. 

« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2018, 12:29:14 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Me too.

They’ve got to hope Josh Jackson fills the Smart role, right?

Jackson started off slow and has been up and down, but he has the make-up to be special.  He has twelve 20-point games on the season, including tonight's 36 points (6 rebs, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block) on 60% shooting.   
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2018, 12:30:48 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I'd agree with that.  I wouldn't be surprised if Smart takes his qualifying offer and tries again in 2019 free agency as a UFA when teams may have a bit more cap space.

Well I would. So much can happen in a year and taking the QO practically means your removing a year of your earning potential.

I think Smart and the Celts figure out a number that works for both parties and get the deal done.

« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2018, 12:35:38 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Well I would. So much can happen in a year and taking the QO practically means your removing a year of your earning potential.

I think Smart and the Celts figure out a number that works for both parties and get the deal done.

Straight from the horse's mouth.  TP.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2018, 01:42:21 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I said I wouldn't be surprised not that I think it is likely.  Smart's QO is 6.05M.  He's not going to get much more than that this offseason.  The biggest risk with taking the QO is injury. 

One question is how much Ainge values Smart versus Rozier and Brown.  With Hayward coming back, there will be 30+ minutes less to go around.  Smart doesn't have Brown's upside and Rozier has another year on his rookie contract and is likely to be easier to be re-signed.  Another question is Smart's ego.  He's not going to start for us, his minutes are likely to get cut significantly and he's probably not going to get the offer he wants from Ainge (or probably any other team). 

« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2018, 02:20:41 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Oh well. Just get Smart back. He's not a star but the C's are clearly a better team with him in the fold.
I moved the cheese.