Author Topic: UPDATE: Smart undergoes surgery, out indefinitely  (Read 23686 times)

Re: UPDATE: Smart undergoes surgery, out indefinitely
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
His last game as a Celtic has been played, sucks to see him go out like that.
I think it's entirely possible he is back either in the playoffs or next year.

Me too.

Which team is going to give Smart $9 million plus. The guy is worth bringing back at that amount.

+1

« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Me too.

Which team is going to give Smart $9 million plus. The guy is worth bringing back at that amount.
Ultimately, I think Smart gets more than that in the open market.  It's going to be a tough decision if he gets to unrestricted free agency.
I find it hard to see Smart getting more than the $8+ million a year that an MLE player gets. Roberson got $10 million a year in a better market. Lou Williams got only $8 million a year in this market. Smart shot like crap this year. Was out 11 games because of a maturity issue when he punched a picture. Now he's out for weeks with another injury.

Smart might need to take the qualifying offer and attempt to significantly improve his shot while establishing value greater than the MLE to get a big payday.
Lou Williams wasn't in the market

While true, his agent surely assessed the upcoming market.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2018, 04:21:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Me too.

Ultimately, I think Smart gets more than that in the open market.  It's going to be a tough decision if he gets to unrestricted free agency.
I find it hard to see Smart getting more than the $8+ million a year that an MLE player gets. Roberson got $10 million a year in a better market. Lou Williams got only $8 million a year in this market. Smart shot like crap this year. Was out 11 games because of a maturity issue when he punched a picture. Now he's out for weeks with another injury.

Smart might need to take the qualifying offer and attempt to significantly improve his shot while establishing value greater than the MLE to get a big payday.
Splitting hairs here Moranis. Maybe more accurate to say Lou Williams only got $8 million a year just a couple of months ago with a contract extension, but I think the vast majority of people, like everyone but you, know what I meant by saying what I did.
extensions though are limited in what they can be.  He just wanted stability, but he wasn't in the market so you can't really use him as an example of the market.

I think there is a chance Phoenix offers Smart 10+ million a year.  He would be a very nice fit with Booker and they have a real need at that position (Payton trade not with standing) and the cap space to do it.  I don't think Phoenix is the only team with cap space that will look at Smart either.  This won't be a crazy market like a couple of seasons ago, but there will be teams with room that will look very hard at signing Smart at a fairly reasonable price (like 10-11 million a year). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2018, 04:31:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think we need to make an updated free agent to be list and see where Smart ranks, taking into account he is a RFA. I know most of us love Smart and people outside of Boston also appreciate his hustle and grit, but cap room is already at a minimum and I think we will be surprised by how many other players are at least comparable to him. It is going to take a pretty gutsy GM to skip over more gifted offensive players to sign Smart to a big contract - especially if it is a GM of a team that isn't very good. Smart has always struck me as the kind-of player to make a good team better, not a bad team good.

Anyway, I hope he comes back for the playoffs and I hope we can re-sign him for a bargain deal. He is a fantastic player and a lot fun to watch even if some of his shots are cringeworthy  :o

« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2018, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think most teams view Smart as great bench guy but not a starter. That impacts his market value a lot.

« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2018, 05:04:02 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It comes mostly down to supply and demand, and also his RFA status to determine what he gets.  There are roughly 5 or 6 teams that will have real cap space beyond the mid level exception.  Then you have to look at the talent available for guards as free agents.  You have RFAs such as Smart, Lavine, and Exum and UFAs like IT, Bradley, Evans, Caldwell Pope, and Evans.  It will be interesting to see if one of the teams with cap space like the 76rs, Bulls, Suns, or Mavs can pry him away, or settle on an UFA.

« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I’m gonna assume he is back in six weeks until told otherwise. Only way it’ll keep me from moping about all the injuries this season lol

6 weeks would put him back right at the end of the first round.

Seems like the recovery timeframe is roughly 4-6 weeks with most trending toward the latter end of that timeframe before coming back. Hopefully it’s sooner than that, but I’d be happy to have him back at the end of the first round.

I am thinking this as well, and if they need him to win the first round then there is no point for him coming back because there is no way they will make ECF.

« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2018, 06:04:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It comes mostly down to supply and demand, and also his RFA status to determine what he gets.  There are roughly 5 or 6 teams that will have real cap space beyond the mid level exception.  Then you have to look at the talent available for guards as free agents.  You have RFAs such as Smart, Lavine, and Exum and UFAs like IT, Bradley, Evans, Caldwell Pope, and Evans.  It will be interesting to see if one of the teams with cap space like the 76rs, Bulls, Suns, or Mavs can pry him away, or settle on an UFA.
Yeah, except it doesn't really. There's only one Smart, and a limited number of teams that can sign him. NBA free agency is all about leverage, not supply and demand.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Me too.

Splitting hairs here Moranis. Maybe more accurate to say Lou Williams only got $8 million a year just a couple of months ago with a contract extension, but I think the vast majority of people, like everyone but you, know what I meant by saying what I did.
extensions though are limited in what they can be.  He just wanted stability, but he wasn't in the market so you can't really use him as an example of the market.

I think there is a chance Phoenix offers Smart 10+ million a year.  He would be a very nice fit with Booker and they have a real need at that position (Payton trade not with standing) and the cap space to do it.  I don't think Phoenix is the only team with cap space that will look at Smart either.  This won't be a crazy market like a couple of seasons ago, but there will be teams with room that will look very hard at signing Smart at a fairly reasonable price (like 10-11 million a year).
If I were the Phoenix owner and the GM suggested signing Smart, I'd fire him on the spot.  The Suns are a lousy team.  If they sign Smart, they'd still be a lousy team but have 10-11M less cap space per your suggestion.   Assuming they can't sign a star caliber player, they need to use their cap space for taking on salary dumps.   

« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2018, 06:17:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://twitter.com/celtics/status/974756141069754369

6-8 weeks. That’s going to be really pushing it for Smart.

« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2018, 06:34:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Me too.

If I were the Phoenix owner and the GM suggested signing Smart, I'd fire him on the spot.  The Suns are a lousy team.  If they sign Smart, they'd still be a lousy team but have 10-11M less cap space per your suggestion.   Assuming they can't sign a star caliber player, they need to use their cap space for taking on salary dumps.
they don't need more young guys or later 1st round picks.  They have plenty of young players.  What they need is someone like Smart that hustled, defends, does the dirty work, etc.  He is worth a lot more to a team like Phoenix then he would be worth to a contender.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2018, 07:05:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Me too.

they don't need more young guys or later 1st round picks.  They have plenty of young players.  What they need is someone like Smart that hustled, defends, does the dirty work, etc.  He is worth a lot more to a team like Phoenix then he would be worth to a contender.
Completely disagree.  Smart makes a lot more sense for a contender with good offense players that needs to shore up its defense.  Smart wouldn't make the Suns significantly better.  Most of their young players aren't even mediocre.   

« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2018, 07:26:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
http://twitter.com/celtics/status/974756141069754369

6-8 weeks. That’s going to be really pushing it for Smart.

I could see Smart making it back by sometime in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Even if he can't shoot well with it, just being a defensive pest could help us a lot.

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2018, 07:28:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Me too.

Completely disagree.  Smart makes a lot more sense for a contender with good offense players that needs to shore up its defense.  Smart wouldn't make the Suns significantly better.  Most of their young players aren't even mediocre.

I agree, Smart is a way better player on a contender that already has guys who can score.  He fits our team really well for next year with Kyrie, Gordon, Brown, Tatum, Morris all guys who can score the ball.  I hope we can resign him next year to a sub 10mil deal.

« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2018, 07:31:57 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Yeah, except it doesn't really. There's only one Smart, and a limited number of teams that can sign him. NBA free agency is all about leverage, not supply and demand.

Well it’s not an exact comparison because of Smart’s bird right’s and we can go over the cap to sign him, but he is competing with the supply of free agents, and the available cap space of other teams.  If the amount of teams say 20 had lots of cap space with the current crop of free agents I’d be a lot more worried losing him.