Author Topic: UPDATE: Smart undergoes surgery, out indefinitely  (Read 23670 times)

Re: Smart has torn tendon - out indefinitely.
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2018, 05:29:56 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
As much as I love off-topic Len Bias conversation...

I was simply responding to what someone said, lol. Next time I won't post that, but I don't know..... Maybe you could just scroll past any of the 'Off-topic,' Len Bias conversations?

To stay on topic:

Mark Murphy

@Murf56

League source says Celtics don't know probability of Marcus Smart playing again this season. "(They're) waiting for that second opinion. Don't know if it's a 50 percent chance or a 30 percent chance. Just don't know."
2:39 PM - Mar 13, 2018

So nothing is set in stone as of yet; losing Marcus will undoubtedly hurt our playoff chances of going past first round.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Have to feel given the way the team looked when Smart was back, Smart's agent has to be saying don't play if not 100%. I expect Smart to be out

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2018, 05:44:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Have to feel given the way the team looked when Smart was back, Smart's agent has to be saying don't play if not 100%. I expect Smart to be out

Have to say I agree 100%, same goes for Gordon Hayward. There should be no pressure to come back, re-group for next year, try to get some developmental playoff experience for our youngsters, and see what happens in the post-season.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
People don't realize how good Bias was. He up there with Jordan.
Is this a joke?

I hope this is a joke.

No, a lot of people think that Bias and Jordan would've been the two primer players during the late 80's and early 90's.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R8qmwgciyB8
And those people fell prey to classic draft overhype.

Remember the Wiggins hype? The Okafor hype? The Fultz hype?

That's just in the last 4 years!
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2018, 09:23:21 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Shoot it up and get back on the court!

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2018, 09:36:17 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Is this a joke?

I hope this is a joke.

No, a lot of people think that Bias and Jordan would've been the two primer players during the late 80's and early 90's.

Apples and oranges comparison. Bias played 4 years in college and dominated throughout. Plus, he did so in a time where the talent level was really high because there was no one and done. Bias was bigger, just as athletic, better rebounder, and a better shooter than Jordan.

Photo displaying his unreal hops-
https://umdarchives.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/len-bias-vs-duke-1985/

“This is my 24th year at Duke,” Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Boston Globe’s Bob Ryan in 2003, “and in that time there have been two opposing players who have really stood out: Michael Jordan and Len Bias. Len was an amazing athlete with great competitiveness. My feeling is that he would have been one of the top players in the NBA. He created things. People associate the term “playmaking” with point guards. But I consider a playmaker as someone who can do things others can’t, the way Jordan did. Bias was like that. He could invent ways to score, and there was nothing you could do about it. No matter how you defended him, he could make a play.”
Tony Kornheiser, now with ESPN but then a columnist at The Washington Post, wrote on June 20, 1986, about mourners who were drawn to Cole Field House, where so many of Bias’s great memories were made.

“He’d jump and his knees would be in my teeth, and I’m 6-2,” said Reginald Adams, a junior at Drexel University in Philadelphia who had played against Bias in high school and came here because he idolized Bias. “The way he played motivated me so. I’d look at him play and say I wish I could do that. He’d intimidate you with words, talk about your mother. But when you tried it on him, go to him on the line and say, ‘You’re gonna miss,’ he’d smile and say, ‘No. Too good.'”

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2018, 09:41:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Is this a joke?

I hope this is a joke.

Apples and oranges comparison. Bias played 4 years in college and dominated throughout. Plus, he did so in a time where the talent level was really high because there was no one and done. Bias was bigger, just as athletic, better rebounder, and a better shooter than Jordan.

“This is my 24th year at Duke,” Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Boston Globe’s Bob Ryan in 2003, “and in that time there have been two opposing players who have really stood out: Michael Jordan and Len Bias. Len was an amazing athlete with great competitiveness. My feeling is that he would have been one of the top players in the NBA. He created things. People associate the term “playmaking” with point guards. But I consider a playmaker as someone who can do things others can’t, the way Jordan did. Bias was like that. He could invent ways to score, and there was nothing you could do about it. No matter how you defended him, he could make a play.”
Tony Kornheiser, now with ESPN but then a columnist at The Washington Post, wrote on June 20, 1986, about mourners who were drawn to Cole Field House, where so many of Bias’s great memories were made.

“He’d jump and his knees would be in my teeth, and I’m 6-2,” said Reginald Adams, a junior at Drexel University in Philadelphia who had played against Bias in high school and came here because he idolized Bias. “The way he played motivated me so. I’d look at him play and say I wish I could do that. He’d intimidate you with words, talk about your mother. But when you tried it on him, go to him on the line and say, ‘You’re gonna miss,’ he’d smile and say, ‘No. Too good.'”

Gotta admit, the lift on that jump shot is impressive

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2018, 10:50:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If Smart's value has skyrocketed by coming back and playing well for a few games after his 'punching' injury, then I would rather he would have just torn a tendon during that incident. The whole point of having Smart on your team is for him to play great in big moments. Being out for the entire playoffs would obviously nullify that.

Hopefully GMs remember his lapse in judgment in punching a picture frame rather than the 8 games in which he played after he returned (about 4 of which he didn't play that well). Keeping him on a value contract is fairly important for the Cs moving forward.

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2018, 12:24:11 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Is this a joke?

I hope this is a joke.

I don't doubt he would have been really good. I think it's hugely presumptuous and Green goggles to just assume he would have been some Jordan-tier player.

Why did Daugherty go ahead of him? I mean Daugherty was awesome but no one considered him so foul to Jordan
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2018, 12:29:40 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Is this a joke?

I hope this is a joke.

I don't doubt he would have been really good. I think it's hugely presumptuous and Green goggles to just assume he would have been some Jordan-tier player.

Why did Daugherty go ahead of him? I mean Daugherty was awesome but no one considered him so foul to Jordan

We will never know, but its not presumptuous. That comparison was written by independent NBA analysts long ago, derived from quotes obtained before he was drafted by the Celtics, from several people who had followed Bias closely. It's not something made up by Celticsbloggers.

As for Daugherty, he was awesome, injuries robbed him of some of his potential greatness, and keep in mind that was early in the era of big men, nobody in there right mind would have passed up a top big man prospect for a wing or a guard, hence Bias and MJ taken later. Bias was taken in 2nd in 1986 after Daugherty. Jordan was taken 3rd in 1984 after Olajuwon and Bowie. We don't question MJ's greatness because two teams passed on him for top big men prospects.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:37:31 AM by hpantazo »

« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2018, 05:38:36 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Is this a joke?

I hope this is a joke.

It was a different era when centers were frequently taken ahead of smaller players that were more talented. It's similar to how QB's are usually taken ahead of better players.

Embry was totally in favor of sending Roy Hinson and other considerations to Philadelphia for the rights to draft Daugherty, who was considered soft by Katz and the Sixers.

"When I got the call the evening before as to whether that would be a move to make, I said, 'By all means,' " said Embry, now a consultant with the Toronto Raptors. "It was my opinion that the Cavs needed a center. I thought Brad Daugherty was a future star. He was the best center in the draft that year. That's why I insisted they make the trade.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:56:59 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2018, 07:54:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Wiggins is pretty decent, and played at a winning program in college.   One can't say that of Fultz who hid for half the year.  With Fultz, face it, his one year in college was one big shell game.

« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2018, 08:50:21 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The Celtics aren’t suffering from lack of depth. They’re suffering from a ridiculous number of injuries. Technically, the people who are out are:
Kyrie
Smart
Brown
Hayward
Theis

If that was your starting 5, that’s good enough to get out of the first round in the playoffs, TBH. Second round too, actually. We can kiss our chances of getting the first seed goodbye. Can we get another DPE?
- LilRip

« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
The Celtics aren’t suffering from lack of depth. They’re suffering from a ridiculous number of injuries. Technically, the people who are out are:
Kyrie
Smart
Brown
Hayward
Theis

If that was your starting 5, that’s good enough to get out of the first round in the playoffs, TBH. Second round too, actually. We can kiss our chances of getting the first seed goodbye. Can we get another DPE?

For now we can also add Horford to that list

« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Call up jabari Bird and see what he's got

He's injured too  :-\