Author Topic: Ray Allen - Book excerpts - merged thread  (Read 13655 times)

Re: Ray Allen - Book excerpts - merged thread
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2018, 02:38:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Rondo responds.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/03/18/just-wants-attention-rajon-rondo-responds-ray-allen-book-excerpts/ueY0vXHLwaOlUDjwOdMWwJ/story.html

Gotta give credit to Rondo for saying he would be glad to talk one on one with Ray and settle their differences. Interesting to hear him say he was one of Ray's biggest supporters in the locker room and that its really the other guys who dont like Ray

I would take both Ray’s and Rondo’s comments with a grain of salt. I don’t think either has any plans to settle the beef.

Agreed, I doubt this gets settled anytime soon.  But that is life.  I just wish they would all shut up about it.  Pointless drama.

The only difference as I see it is Rondo is reacting to something bad said about him.  Ray has a choice what to put in his book about his old team mates.  He could have taken the high road in the book if he wanted.  Rondo is just responding to media asking him about the quotes.  I see that as something anyone would do if they are asked about someone making negative remarks about them.
no one would want to read the book if he took the high road lol.

that is 100% true, why would I be so stupid to think that someone might want to read a book that doesn't trash other people, what was I thinking? lol
Can't tell if you are joking, but 100% of the publicity Ray has gotten from this book has been because of leaked ecxerpts of him NOT taking the high road.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
Rondo responds.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/03/18/just-wants-attention-rajon-rondo-responds-ray-allen-book-excerpts/ueY0vXHLwaOlUDjwOdMWwJ/story.html

Gotta give credit to Rondo for saying he would be glad to talk one on one with Ray and settle their differences. Interesting to hear him say he was one of Ray's biggest supporters in the locker room and that its really the other guys who dont like Ray

I would take both Ray’s and Rondo’s comments with a grain of salt. I don’t think either has any plans to settle the beef.

Agreed, I doubt this gets settled anytime soon.  But that is life.  I just wish they would all shut up about it.  Pointless drama.

The only difference as I see it is Rondo is reacting to something bad said about him.  Ray has a choice what to put in his book about his old team mates.  He could have taken the high road in the book if he wanted.  Rondo is just responding to media asking him about the quotes.  I see that as something anyone would do if they are asked about someone making negative remarks about them.
no one would want to read the book if he took the high road lol.

that is 100% true, why would I be so stupid to think that someone might want to read a book that doesn't trash other people, what was I thinking? lol
Can't tell if you are joking, but 100% of the publicity Ray has gotten from this book has been because of leaked ecxerpts of him NOT taking the high road.

I was being sarcastic...

Obviously Ray's book sells more if he has controversial / non-high road content.  He chooses what he wants in his book.  That is the starting point for the issue.

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2018, 02:46:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Bill Russell wrote several books. All excellent reads, without trashing anyone.

Ray's goal was to to trash Rondo and turn public opinion on his side. It backfired. We all could have told him it would, you are not going to get many people to turn against Pierce, KG, and Rondo after you ditched them for the Lebron Heat. His only hope would have been to say 'my bad, I made some mistakes, we talked things through, its all good now'. Then some fans would have embraced him again.

He should have left things alone after him and Pierce buried the hatchet. Now he just looks like a big jerk trashing his former teammates after everything was supposed to be over with.

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Ray's goal was to to trash Rondo and turn public opinion on his side. It backfired. We all could have told him it would, you are not going to get many people to turn against Pierce, KG, and Rondo after you ditched them for the Lebron Heat. His only hope would have been to say 'my bad, I made some mistakes, we talked things through, its all good now'. Then some fans would have embraced him again.

He should have left things alone after him and Pierce buried the hatchet. Now he just looks like a big jerk trashing his former teammates after everything was supposed to be over with.

This is pretty much my take on it as well.

TP

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is the book out? Did Ray dish on any of the happenings going down in the Heat lockerroom? Or did he just decide to talk about the lockerroom in Boston?

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I just wished they'd ALL just take a step back, let whatever bitterness (if any) go and just reflect on what WAS (07-08) and what COULD HAVE BEEN (08-09).

Too many great memories.

I could FINALLY (after 20 years) go to work (on a NAVY ship full of basketball fans, no less) and TALK SMACK....

Stop being petty and have a true reunion. Grab Posey, Big Baby, Perk and the crew and reminisce about something that was NEVER done before and what will probably NOT ever happen again....

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2018, 05:11:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I just wished they'd ALL just take a step back, let whatever bitterness (if any) go and just reflect on what WAS (07-08) and what COULD HAVE BEEN (08-09).

Too many great memories.

I could FINALLY (after 20 years) go to work (on a NAVY ship full of basketball fans, no less) and TALK SMACK....

Stop being petty and have a true reunion. Grab Posey, Big Baby, Perk and the crew and reminisce about something that was NEVER done before and what will probably NOT ever happen again....
Never done before and never will happen again is such Green goggles revisionist history.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2018, 06:02:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237

Too many great memories.

Count Tommy as being "petty" too. (And I agree with him and don't think he's being petty.)

Just now on the Pre-Game:

When asked if he thought that all the negativity toward Allen leaving would've been the same if he went to Milwaukee or some other team, he said no. Then he said

" Yeah, it (Allen leaving for MIAMI) goes down as (he) is .........like he is a traitor. I mean it's like wearing one of those 3 corner Revolutionary War hats and putting on a...a ....a... bathing suit (referencing the beach, obviously). C'mon"

Tommy caught himself and tried to make light of something that bothers him.

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2018, 06:14:09 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Too many great memories.

Never done before and never will happen again is such Green goggles revisionist history.

I could very well be wrong but prove me wrong.

When has an NBA team EVER went 24-58 one season, have such a massive turnover and THEN turn around, dominate the next season AND win a 'Chip?

CLE came close in 2010-11.

If it was the LAKERS (Media Darlings) that did this then ESPN be ALL OVER THAT....

What BOS did that year was SPECIAL. I'd hope that Ray, Rondo, KG, Paul and Co. could focus on that instead of the back and forth.

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2018, 06:23:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Too many great memories.

When has an NBA team EVER went 24-58 one season, have such a massive turnover and THEN turn around, dominate the next season AND win a 'Chip?

If it was the LAKERS (Media Darlings) that did this then ESPN be ALL OVER THAT....

What BOS did that year was SPECIAL. I'd hope that Ray, Rondo, KG, Paul and Co. could focus on that instead of the back and forth.

Yeah, the +42 wins from one season to the next smashed the prior record.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Too many great memories.

smashed? I don't think 6 wins is a smashing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2018, 07:04:04 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Too many great memories.

That's 16.7%  more wins than the previous record for largest season-to-season improvement.  That's pretty substantial.

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2018, 08:36:42 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Is the book out? Did Ray dish on any of the happenings going down in the Heat lockerroom? Or did he just decide to talk about the lockerroom in Boston?
No. The book will be out on the 27th of March. Given that the book is about his basketball career, I assume that he will also touch upon the things he experienced while playing in Miami.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2018, 09:53:22 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

This is pretty much my take on it as well.

TP

Can we all bump this forever? 100% this? For anyone defending ray over the last few years this was a turning point. Larry bird's book drive was amazing, and while I have read it ten years ago, I don't remember it bashing anyone

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2018, 11:29:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Too many great memories.

6 wins is a huge amount.

If the Celts win 79 games next year, they will have smashed the Warriors’ record.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes