Author Topic: Ray Allen - Book excerpts - merged thread  (Read 13688 times)

Re: Ray Allen - Book excerpts - merged thread
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 08:10:29 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Some of the stories alluded to in that article above--like KG saying he was a better tipper, or even Rondo saying saying he carried the team in 2008-- sound like jokes, the kind of thing you say when you're clowning around/trash talking your teammates in practice. Maybe the issue is that Allen was simply too humorless to get along with those guys.

Either way, all of this finger-pointing and tattle-tale telling makes Ray seem childish. Pierce gave him an opportunity to bury the hatchet--Ray could easily have said, "yeah, our personalities clashed, there were some issues behind the scenes that the media didn't know about, but we won a championship" and left it at that. Talking about proposed trades that upset him/made him feel undervalued is fair and reasonable. But airing all this dirty laundry about locker room stuff betrays his reputation for maturity. Even if I were someone who had no emotional investment in his time as a Celtic, I'd find it disappointing and unnecessary.

I agree. I still appreciate Ray, but dang, let it go.  And take a joke; KG paid for you’re dinner and you’re hung up on the dude making a joke at your expense?

You are also talking about a 35 year old man that had his momma at all the home ganes.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 08:28:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Some of the stories alluded to in that article above--like KG saying he was a better tipper, or even Rondo saying saying he carried the team in 2008-- sound like jokes, the kind of thing you say when you're clowning around/trash talking your teammates in practice. Maybe the issue is that Allen was simply too humorless to get along with those guys.

Either way, all of this finger-pointing and tattle-tale telling makes Ray seem childish. Pierce gave him an opportunity to bury the hatchet--Ray could easily have said, "yeah, our personalities clashed, there were some issues behind the scenes that the media didn't know about, but we won a championship" and left it at that. Talking about proposed trades that upset him/made him feel undervalued is fair and reasonable. But airing all this dirty laundry about locker room stuff betrays his reputation for maturity. Even if I were someone who had no emotional investment in his time as a Celtic, I'd find it disappointing and unnecessary.

I agree. I still appreciate Ray, but dang, let it go.  And take a joke; KG paid for you’re dinner and you’re hung up on the dude making a joke at your expense?
maybe it was a joke, maybe it wasn't.  With KG it is really hard to tell because there are all sorts of stories about how much of an **** he could be.  So I can totally see Allen taking that the wrong way when they barely knew each other, and that type of behavior contributing to Allen not wanting to hang out with KG much socially.  Especially since Allen was offering to pay and then KG comes in and challenges Ray in that manner and usurps Ray's offer. 

Sounds like two grown men in a p---ing contest, not necessarily a joke fest.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 09:06:54 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm sure Ray was upset at certain things for valid reasons.  Unfortunately he has done nothing but tarnish the memory Celtics fans will have of him.  The Miami move did permanent damage but he could have restored a positive image by showing some humility, especially in regards to the Pierce jersey retirement.  His bitterness only makes me view him as the "hired gun" of the KG and Pierce era.  Ray did his job very well but nostalgia wont treat him nearly the same as Pierce, KG, and even Rondo when I watch old games from that era.

Chalk me up as a fan that has become disinterested in Ray Allen.  I'm past disliking him at this point.  He's just irrelevant. 

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2018, 10:00:15 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics

You are also talking about a 35 year old man that had his momma at all the home ganes.

So, what is negative in having your mother or any other member of your family in audience at home games?! I mean, when you say this, it sounds like his mother is still waiting him in a car after the game (and she's driving him home).

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2018, 10:42:51 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm sure Ray was upset at certain things for valid reasons.  Unfortunately he has done nothing but tarnish the memory Celtics fans will have of him.  The Miami move did permanent damage but he could have restored a positive image by showing some humility, especially in regards to the Pierce jersey retirement.  His bitterness only makes me view him as the "hired gun" of the KG and Pierce era.  Ray did his job very well but nostalgia wont treat him nearly the same as Pierce, KG, and even Rondo when I watch old games from that era.

Chalk me up as a fan that has become disinterested in Ray Allen.  I'm past disliking him at this point.  He's just irrelevant.
Well said.  I grew up in Connecticut, my sister went to UConn (I almost did), and have always been partial to UConn players.  I was happy when he came to Boston and I respect him for his contributions to the chip that year.  Since then it's been all downhill with RA in my eyes.

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2018, 10:55:48 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Well said.  I grew up in Connecticut, my sister went to UConn (I almost did), and have always been partial to UConn players.  I was happy when he came to Boston and I respect him for his contributions to the chip that year.  Since then it's been all downhill with RA in my eyes.
You know what guys, as you, I liked Allen much more as a Celtic player than in his career after (pension) and I think that is perfectly fine. 
I enjoyed his contributions a lot back in a day. Now, he can talk all he wants, I don't have to agree, he deserved to have his say.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Rondo responds.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/03/18/just-wants-attention-rajon-rondo-responds-ray-allen-book-excerpts/ueY0vXHLwaOlUDjwOdMWwJ/story.html

Gotta give credit to Rondo for saying he would be glad to talk one on one with Ray and settle their differences. Interesting to hear him say he was one of Ray's biggest supporters in the locker room and that its really the other guys who dont like Ray

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The last Rondo quote from that article:

"“If everybody in the league came out and wrote a book about what happens in the locker room . . .”
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2018, 02:09:47 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
The last Rondo quote from that article:

"“If everybody in the league came out and wrote a book about what happens in the locker room . . .”

Yeah seriously. I remember Shaq mentioned in his biography that the infamous fight between Von Wafer and Delonte West in 2010 was definitely not the last fight in the locker room that season. It was just the most publicized.

I really hope Scal goes into great detail about what those locker rooms were like from 2008 to 2010 someday.

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2018, 02:19:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Rondo responds.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/03/18/just-wants-attention-rajon-rondo-responds-ray-allen-book-excerpts/ueY0vXHLwaOlUDjwOdMWwJ/story.html

Gotta give credit to Rondo for saying he would be glad to talk one on one with Ray and settle their differences. Interesting to hear him say he was one of Ray's biggest supporters in the locker room and that its really the other guys who dont like Ray

I would take both Ray’s and Rondo’s comments with a grain of salt. I don’t think either has any plans to settle the beef.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2018, 02:23:37 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo responds.

I would take both Ray’s and Rondo’s comments with a grain of salt. I don’t think either has any plans to settle the beef.

Agreed, I doubt this gets settled anytime soon.  But that is life.  I just wish they would all shut up about it.  Pointless drama.

The only difference as I see it is Rondo is reacting to something bad said about him.  Ray has a choice what to put in his book about his old team mates.  He could have taken the high road in the book if he wanted.  Rondo is just responding to media asking him about the quotes.  I see that as something anyone would do if they are asked about someone making negative remarks about them.

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2018, 02:26:47 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It seems Ray just cannot let the past go.  I understand he wants to tell his side of the story, and clearly desperately wants to be remembered by Celtics fans as fondly as the others are, but I don't think he realizes he's just not doing himself any favors in terms of earning back any sort of good will with the majority of Celtics fans with the way he is going about all of this.

Ray would be better off to just talk to these guys in private, and publicly just state he appreciates his time here in Boston.  Instead, he continues to be the one that is always stoking the flames.

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Rondo responds.

Agreed, I doubt this gets settled anytime soon.  But that is life.  I just wish they would all shut up about it.  Pointless drama.

The only difference as I see it is Rondo is reacting to something bad said about him.  Ray has a choice what to put in his book about his old team mates.  He could have taken the high road in the book if he wanted.  Rondo is just responding to media asking him about the quotes.  I see that as something anyone would do if they are asked about someone making negative remarks about them.
no one would want to read the book if he took the high road lol.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo responds.

no one would want to read the book if he took the high road lol.

that is 100% true, why would I be so stupid to think that someone might want to read a book that doesn't trash other people, what was I thinking? lol