Author Topic: Ray Allen - Book excerpts - merged thread  (Read 13779 times)

Ray Allen - Book excerpts - merged thread
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:13:13 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:13:21 PM by Moranis »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Is this true...??
Oh my...!!
What's wrong with you Doc??
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2763962-ray-allen-doc-rivers-called-off-chris-paul-trade-to-celtics-in-2011/

And why wouldn't you just do it Danny??
Ainge should have just pulled that trigger!! Argh!!

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'd have to see the full quote because that excerpt could mean we cancelled a trade that was on the table, or that we just didn't pursue one, or a few other possibilities.

The justification also seems a little odd since everybody knew Paul was getting traded somewhere, it was just a question of where. 

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
That would have been Danny Ainge's call.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The justification also seems a little odd since everybody knew Paul was getting traded somewhere, it was just a question of where.

I think you may be reading that wrong. The thing that Doc allegedly didn’t want to do to Monty Williams was trading him Rondo, not taking away Chris Paul. The original TSN article makes that context a bit clearer.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/ray-allen-celtics-news-rumors-book-kevin-garnett-paul-pierce-rajon-rondo-relationship-heat-trade/8ff8ps2z45om1rxr5z8zti32a
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:47:45 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
So, after Pierce , KG and Ray reportedly bury the hatchet and Rondo states that Ray is invited to the 2008 team reunion this summer, Ray goes and publishes a book trashing Rondo. Way to let things go Ray. It should be an interesting reunion

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

I think you may be reading that wrong. The thing that Doc allegedly didn’t want to do to Monty Williams was trading him Rondo, not taking away Chris Paul. The original TSN article makes that context a bit clearer.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/ray-allen-celtics-news-rumors-book-kevin-garnett-paul-pierce-rajon-rondo-relationship-heat-trade/8ff8ps2z45om1rxr5z8zti32a

Hahaha that's really funny then - we'd love Paul but I just can't subject my friend to Rondo.

That would make a bit more sense from Doc's perspective, but I still have a hard time imagining Danny scuttling a viable trade because his coach doesn't want his buddy to have to deal with our PG. And Ray's not exactly an objective source on Rondo. Grains of salt remain in place.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Hahaha that's really funny then - we'd love Paul but I just can't subject my friend to Rondo.

That would make a bit more sense from Doc's perspective, but I still have a hard time imagining Danny scuttling a viable trade because his coach doesn't want his buddy to have to deal with our PG. And Ray's not exactly an objective source on Rondo. Grains of salt remain in place.
Isn't that what Bill did with Jimmy G, but in reverse?  Now I get Bill has way more power than Doc did, but supposedly Bill didn't bother to contact any team other than the Niners because he thought that would be a good fit for Jimmy G, even though the Pats could have gotten a lot more for Jimmy G had they been willing to move him to other teams (like the Browns).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Isn't that what Bill did with Jimmy G, but in reverse?  Now I get Bill has way more power than Doc did, but supposedly Bill didn't bother to contact any team other than the Niners because he thought that would be a good fit for Jimmy G, even though the Pats could have gotten a lot more for Jimmy G had they been willing to move him to other teams (like the Browns).

Don't know, I don't follow football.  But someone else can maybe speak on it.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If anyone believe this happened, they are delusional.

I mean, Ray Allen is seriously suggesting that we chose not to do a trade because we felt too bad for the opposing team. Thats a joke.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:28:51 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Re: Ray Allen: "Doc-rivers-called-off-chris-paul-trade-to-celtics-in-2011"
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 01:29:09 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don't see how this makes sense......

Doc considered Rondo as bit of a trouble but chose not to trade him for Chris Paul because he wanted to protect his friend..... and not multiply his chances for a second championship

Seriously ??????

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I don't see how this makes sense......

Doc considered Rondo as bit of a trouble but chose not to trade him for Chris Paul because he wanted to protect his friend..... and not multiply his chances for a second championship

Seriously ??????
Ray Allen is living in a fantasy land.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 01:44:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My guess is the trade didn't happen (because not even New Orleans was dumb enough to trade Chris Paul for Rajon Rondo) and Doc was just talking out of his bum, like he was always doing, and Allen believed that is why the trade fell through (even though it likely had nothing to do with it).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Anyone believe this? Danny Ainge (Mr. "I just traded you after you led us to the ECF after your sister died") not jumping on Paul for Rondo because Doc didn't want to hurt his friend's team?

Assuming all of that is true, Stern would have vetoed it faster than he did the Lakers one.

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 01:58:27 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Did Doc not want to bother with offering Rondo for Paul? Or was the trade already agreed upon between the two GM's, and then Doc came in to reject the idea before final approval?

I doubt this story is true. However, assuming it was, then I'm leaning towards thanking Doc. I highly doubt Danny ever makes the Nets trade if Chris Paul was on the team. I'm not sure how much better the Celtics would have done during the 2011-2012 season. Or how much KG had left in the tank during the following season. Maybe the Celtics would have had a two year window with Paul, followed by a possible long rebuild, in which Chris Paul would have wanted out. I think I'd rather stick to the current path, where a possible extended reign is on the horizon.