Author Topic: Which 6 Guards Make Your All NBA Teams?  (Read 5309 times)

Re: Which 6 Guards Make Your All NBA Teams?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 08:39:50 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
1st team - Harden and Curry
2nd team - Lillard and Derozan
3rd team - Kyrie and Westbrook

That's what I would have if the season ended today. I think people are sleeping on Lillard though. He should be 2nd team at least, and if Curry misses a couple more games and the Blazers stay red hot, I think he could pass him.

Yeah, it hurts to say, and don't anyone ever let indeedproceed find out about this, but Lillard has been better than Kyrie this season.

Based on what? Kyrie has been significantly more efficient than Lillard in pretty much every measure outside of free throws, and pretty much every other statistical difference disappears or favors Kyrie (except assists) when the minute difference is accounted for (per 36). Plus, Kyrie is on the better team, so I don’t see any justification for this argument.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi

Both are having great seasons.  Regarding efficiency, being on a better team makes life easier for Kyrie, yet, Lillard has lead the Blazers to the #3 seed in the brutal West. He should make an all NBA team this season.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:57:47 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
1st - Curry, Harden

2nd - Lillard, Irving

3rd - Oladipo, Derozan

Reject empty Westbrook calories.

Chris Paul has only played 47 games, so doesn't qualify for me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 09:12:34 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
1st: Harden & Curry
2nd: Irving & Lillard
3rd: CP3 & DeRozan

If CP3 & Jimmy G don't miss so much time, they both make 2nd team and Irving & Lillard drop to 3rd. 

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 10:04:28 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

That's what I would have if the season ended today. I think people are sleeping on Lillard though. He should be 2nd team at least, and if Curry misses a couple more games and the Blazers stay red hot, I think he could pass him.

Yeah, it hurts to say, and don't anyone ever let indeedproceed find out about this, but Lillard has been better than Kyrie this season.

Based on what? Kyrie has been significantly more efficient than Lillard in pretty much every measure outside of free throws, and pretty much every other statistical difference disappears or favors Kyrie (except assists) when the minute difference is accounted for (per 36). Plus, Kyrie is on the better team, so I don’t see any justification for this argument.

Kyrie is slightly more efficient, but overall Lillard has played more, and all of his points, assists, and rebounds per game are higher than Kyrie. When you're that good, it matters when you play more. The Blazers get 4 more minutes than we do from Kyrie every night. Lillard also has .8 more win shares, and more defensive win shares.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 10:50:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ranked by wins shares the top guards are:

1. Harden - 12.8
2. Lillard- 9.9
3. Kyrie - 9.1
4. Curry - 9.0
5. DeRozan - 8.6
6. Butler - 8.6
7. Paul - 8.4
8. Lowry - 8.2
9. Westbrook - 8.0

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 04:20:53 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Kyrie is slightly more efficient, but overall Lillard has played more, and all of his points, assists, and rebounds per game are higher than Kyrie. When you're that good, it matters when you play more. The Blazers get 4 more minutes than we do from Kyrie every night. Lillard also has .8 more win shares, and more defensive win shares.

So you are telling me that Lillard is better than Curry? Coz you know, win shares...

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 09:15:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Mine
1st - Harden, Irving
2nd - Curry, DeRozan
3rd - Westbrook, Lillard

What I think will happen
1st - Harden, Curry
2nd - Wetbrook, DeRozan
3rd - Lillard, Paul
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think it will be:
1st - Harden, Curry
2nd - Westbrook, Irving
3rd - DeRozan, Lillard

Oladipo should make it, but hasn't yet earned the name recognition that the others have. CP3 would normally make it, but has missed too many games. And no way Lowry pushes any of the above out of their spots.

DeRozan deserves 2nd team over Westbrook (and probably Irving).

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Have a feeling they will go

1st. Harden, Curry
2nd. Lillard, DeRozan
3rd. Irving, CP3

Irving and DeRozan will flip depending on which team gets the 1 seed

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 11:19:35 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
This might not be a popular opinion but I think there is a very strong argument that Kyrie isn't among the top 6 guards. I love Kyrie, I am not someone who hated the trade or are still in love with IT. I think Irving has been great this year but a lot of other guards have been too. I could see an argument for:

1st Team: Harden, Curry
2nd Team: Westbrook, DeRozan
3rd Team: Lillard, Oladipo or Paul

I agree with this (mostly)

1st Team: Harden, Curry
2nd Team: Westbrook, Lillard
3rd Team: DeRozan, Paul/Irving

Harden and Curry are far and away the better guys.

Westbrook puts up just absurd stats and I don't see a guy who is close to another triple-double being left off the list. I slot in Lillard up there too because he's statistically superior to anyone else and leads a resurgent Portland team. 

To me those are clear choices. So now it comes down to DeRozan, Oladipo, Paul, Irving and Butler. Frankly, that's a toss up. I give a nod to DeRozan because I think he's really been the reason for the resurgence of Toronto. Paul gets the final spot because he's made life easier for Harden while putting up outstanding performances. But if he misses too many other games then I'd give the final nod to Irving over Olapido and Butler.

It's interesting to see these rankings. How is it again that Irving is a top 10 superstar in the NBA when on many lists he's not even a top 5 guard?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:24:43 AM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Just don’t see CP3 being at the very top anymore. The stats favor Kyrie, even though he’s the Cs’ only real threat to create his own shot and defenses are keying on him. If you traded Paul and KI at the start of this year, I think the Rockets improve and the Cs are a little worse. 

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 02:21:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Just don’t see CP3 being at the very top anymore. The stats favor Kyrie, even though he’s the Cs’ only real threat to create his own shot and defenses are keying on him. If you traded Paul and KI at the start of this year, I think the Rockets improve and the Cs are a little worse.
The Rockets are 40-7 in games Paul plays. He scores 19 a game with 2 more rebs per game than Kyrie and 3 more assists per game than Kyrie while playing All-Defense team, quality defense.

Pretty hard for me to believe Kyrie would make the Rox any better than that. If Paul hadn't missed so many games, I don't think there is any question he is a top 4 guard in the league this year.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2018, 02:23:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Harden, Curry, Irving, Lillard, Westbrook, DeRozan

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The Rockets are 40-7 in games Paul plays. He scores 19 a game with 2 more rebs per game than Kyrie and 3 more assists per game than Kyrie while playing All-Defense team, quality defense.

Pretty hard for me to believe Kyrie would make the Rox any better than that. If Paul hadn't missed so many games, I don't think there is any question he is a top 4 guard in the league this year.
Kyrie shoots a higher EFG on a higher usage rate than Paul, with every team keying their defense on him. Wonder what he’d do playing with Harden and the rest of the Rockets. I’d be stunned if his efficiency didn’t improve. On defense you have a point.

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 03:09:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Kyrie shoots a higher EFG on a higher usage rate than Paul, with every team keying their defense on him. Wonder what he’d do playing with Harden and the rest of the Rockets. I’d be stunned if his efficiency didn’t improve. On defense you have a point.
40-7...That's pretty darn spectacular and hard to believe Kyrie could improve on that.