Author Topic: Nike to decide which color of jerseys get worn by teams during all games  (Read 1577 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/03/bulpett_nike_now_calls_shots_on_what_uniforms_celtics_wear?amp

The NBA and Nike now control the schedule of which uniforms teams wear for specific games. Teams traditionally would wear white at home and dark on the road while players often could decide themselves on alternate uniforms.

“The league gives us a master schedule,” said Celtics travel and equipment coordinator John Connor. “We put it on the wall and we just give out what’s on the wall. We get the schedule and what we’re supposed to wear from the league, and it’s for the whole year.

“It used to be Paul Pierce saying, ‘Hey, let’s wear the green/black ones.’ Not anymore. The players can’t control it.”

Nike is in their first season as the official uniform provider to the NBA.

“They changed the tight colors, too,” said Connor. “Nike will call out, like, they want green tights with the green uniforms or white tights with green uniforms, black tights on white. They actually script for like 50 percent of the games what everything has to be. It’s a lot more restrictive.”

Packing for road trips is now also more difficult for teams.

“Way more,” said Connor. “We’re carrying more bags than ever, because sometimes you’re going on a four-game trip and you’re wearing three different uniforms. Then you need backups for every one.

“I used to travel with 15 bags, and now we’re easily up to 25 or 30 now. That includes basketballs and practice gear and all that stuff. But it’s at least seven or eight more bags just for uniforms now.”

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Finally!

Edit: I just spied LarBrd.  In the e-flesh.  ;askldjf.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Finally!

Edit: I just spied LarBrd.  In the e-flesh.  ;askldjf.

Yeah, he's kind of like Elvis and the Loch Ness monster... only he is actually alive and well.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So this is like totally lame.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This is America, everyone sells out.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Kind of takes some of the fun out of it, I guess.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This is also why we get stuck watching so many games with the ugly ass gray Celtics uniforms.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is also why we get stuck watching so many games with the ugly ass gray Celtics uniforms.

Yeah, this crap drives me nuts. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I hate those uniforms like I hate Hell and all Montagues

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I like the idea of Pierce wanting to wear a separate uniform. I amuse easily.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I hate those uniforms like I hate Hell and all Montagues
You would be more likely to see me wearing a Kobe Lakers jersey as you would one of those grey Celtic jerseys. Thats how much I hate those grey jerseys