Author Topic: Is this the 2nd time Euros brought something good that ruined the game for years  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Did Arvydas Sabonis, Dirk, and Peja introduce the era of the 3 ball and basically accidentally ruin the game the same way that Vlade Divac brought flopping from soccer and accidentally introduced a horrid era of flopping for a decade?

How do we end this era?

If the NBA insists on continuing to do this then they can't cry about lower ratings. It's the same thing in the NFL where they have no idea what a catch is and where defensive players can just give a guy a concussion and get him out of the game. 

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Meh....Laimbeer was a flopping piece of crap for Detroit.  Rodman too.  They just played physical also to cancel it out.

Offline Grindfather

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • First Team All-Defense
No, math introduced the "era of the 3 ball"

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
No, math introduced the "era of the 3 ball"

Yeah, pretty much this.

And it is true that Europeans brought what we know as modern math to N. America, so it looks like we can blame Europe.

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
personally i blame everyone else for everything.

its working out pretty good for me.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Meh....Laimbeer was a flopping piece of crap for Detroit.  Rodman too.  They just played physical also to cancel it out.

Yeah, Reggie Miller also turned flopping into an art form. He was a true pioneer.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Simple math brought the prevalence of the three.

Three is worth fifty percent more than two. Crazy. Scary. Real.

Hard to get around it. Teams are finally pushing the math toward it's logical conclusion.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i dont know if it was really the euros.
 honestly,looking back antoine walker took a ton of criticism but was actually just ahead of his time.
he shot a lot of 3s because there are no 4's
 maybe we should heed his prescient words of wisdom :)

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I wonder if it's simple math that ushered in the 3 ball era of if it's not more of a combination of that with a lack of quality big men? If prime Shaq, David Robinson, Hakeem, Ewing were in the league now would we be seeing more low post play? It's a tough question to answer but I do think the league does not have the overall quality of bigs it did even a decade ago.

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
It's not math that brought in the 3 ball era.  I'll let you guys in on a little secret...3 was always more than 2.  Since the beginning of time 3 was more than 2. 

What brought in the 3 ball era was the zone defenses.  They turned the NBA into college basketball where the three ball (see Rick Patino) and guard play have been dominate for decades.  With defenses collapsing on the paint whenever the ball gets anywhere near it it has become much harder to score in the post and guys are standing wide open in three point land all game. 

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Also, the flopping is because of the refs.  If a guy with the ball backs into a defender and the defender stands there it's not a foul.  If the defender falls, It's a foul.  So of course they fall down.  The act of banging into the defender is either a foul or not, the result shouldn't matter.  If the defender slaps you on the arm and the shot still goes in, it's still a foul.  Or if a defender nudges you on a dunk it's still a foul.  Why does the result of the action on the other end determine weather or not it's a foul?   If I have to fall down for it to be a foul, I 'm falling down. 

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
NBA ratings relative to other pro Sports has increased, thanks in part to the 3 ball. I love watching NBA games more than ever. And there was no 3 point line when I played in HS and college.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Anyone who thinks the game's been ruined should go back and watch some typical games from 94-03 or so. Not highlights, the full games, every last grueling, tedious, bricky possession. 

I learned the other day that Houston, who draws fouls at the highest rate in the NBA this year, would've been 21st by the same measure 20 years ago.  And that's on top of the far slower pace back then.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I like good basketball and I think the Celtics play good basketball most of the time.
ok fine

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Anyone who thinks the game's been ruined should go back and watch some typical games from 94-03 or so. Not highlights, the full games, every last grueling, tedious, bricky possession. 

I learned the other day that Houston, who draws fouls at the highest rate in the NBA this year, would've been 21st by the same measure 20 years ago.  And that's on top of the far slower pace back then.

This! ^^^^
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.