Author Topic: All-rookie 1st team prediction  (Read 2753 times)

All-rookie 1st team prediction
« on: March 08, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Simmons, Mitchell are locks

Who else ya got?

I'll take Tater, Kuzma, and Markannen
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: All-rookie 1st team prediction
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Who else ya got?

Sounds good to me.

Think you nailed it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Probably right, especially if they keep positions, but Lonzo Ball and Dennis Smith are certainly deserving of consideration.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 11:13:57 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Probably right, especially if they keep positions, but Lonzo Ball and Dennis Smith are certainly deserving of consideration.

I’d have to think Kuzma is the guy that drops if Ball or Smith make 1st team. Tatum is doing too much on a top 5-6 team, and LM is beasting and is the fastest player in NBA history to 100 threes.

Kuzma has been playing great, but the only X factor he has to match up to the other 4 guys is playing for the Lakers. That doesn’t have the luster of what Tatum or LM are doing/have done.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 11:16:40 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Who else ya got?

I think those are the five.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Who do you guys think takes rookie of the year?

It looks like it’s down to Simmons and Mitchell. It’s got to be quite rare that we have 3 rookie of the year candidates who are on playoff teams , Celtics , Sixers, and the Jazz look like they will make it too.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

It looks like it’s down to Simmons and Mitchell. It’s got to be quite rare that we have 3 rookie of the year candidates who are on playoff teams , Celtics , Sixers, and the Jazz look like they will make it too.

Ben Simmons. He is already one of the more interesting players in the league, and his team will make the playoffs. Embiid and Simmons have brought the 76ers back from the dead.

Mitchell is a promising player. I don't think he's as valuable as Simmons.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 12:52:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Ball finishes strong I think the LA bias will put him on 1st team ahead of Markennen.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Lonzo would have to have a ridiculous finish to the season to garner any merit. But being the media darling he seems to be, he probably will get unjustified consideration none the less.

DSJ does deserve some consideration, as I think he is neck and neck with Kuzma for the last spot. Kuzma seems to have really faded over the second half of the season.

I think at this point I'd go with: Smith Jr, Mitchell, Simmons, Tatum, Markkanen

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Lonzo would have to have a ridiculous finish to the season to garner any merit. But being the media darling he seems to be, he probably will get unjustified consideration none the less.

DSJ does deserve some consideration, as I think he is neck and neck with Kuzma for the last spot. Kuzma seems to have really faded over the second half of the season.

I think at this point I'd go with: Smith Jr, Mitchell, Simmons, Tatum, Markkanen
Among rookies, Lonzo is 9th in ppg, 3rd in rpg, 2nd in apg (to Simmons), 2nd in mpg (to Simmons), is 4th in both VORP and BPM, and has gotten his 3PT shooting up to 33.8% after being quite hot the last few months.  The Lakers are 9-2 in Lonzo's last 11 games.  He has put together a pretty good rookie season overall. 

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Just taking another moment to be amazed by what happened to Fultz. If we were projecting this list six months ago, can’t imagine he wouldn’t be in the conversation. He basically hasn’t played at all. Feel bad for the kid.

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 01:43:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Among rookies, Lonzo is 9th in ppg, 3rd in rpg, 2nd in apg (to Simmons), 2nd in mpg (to Simmons), is 4th in both VORP and BPM, and has gotten his 3PT shooting up to 33.8% after being quite hot the last few months.  The Lakers are 9-2 in Lonzo's last 11 games.  He has put together a pretty good rookie season overall. 

Lonzo is currently 10th in PPG, not 9th. He is also shooting a woeful 37% overall, on the season.

But I'm glad you brought this up, because I had not realized DSJ was also shooting sub 40% overall. I think that probably excludes him too, and leaves Kuzma as the last selection.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 03:15:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Lonzo is currently 10th in PPG, not 9th. He is also shooting a woeful 37% overall, on the season.

But I'm glad you brought this up, because I had not realized DSJ was also shooting sub 40% overall. I think that probably excludes him too, and leaves Kuzma as the last selection.
Ah, I forgot about Bogdanovic (since he wasn't drafted and wasn't high profile like Simmons). 

Either way, any player that is top 10 in ppg and bpg and top 3 in rpg, apg, spg shouldn't just be disregarded.  Especially since Simmons is the only other player even in the top 10 in all 5 of those categories (Simmons is ahead of Lonzo in them all).

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 03:36:43 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
IMO this has been a very good year for rookies so far. Only one extremely worrisome player and that is Fultz. A lot of these kids are playing solid and some really well.

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 02:13:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Ben Simmons. He is already one of the more interesting players in the league, and his team will make the playoffs. Embiid and Simmons have brought the 76ers back from the dead.

Mitchell is a promising player. I don't think he's as valuable as Simmons.
When Jaylen Brown was asked about Mitchell:
Other than JT (Jayson Tatum), he is one of the strongest rookie of the Year candidates.
  Biases acknowledged, but still, I like that Simmons gets snubbed.   ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO9r3XzxdvU

Bottom line, IMO:  This is one of the strongest rookie crops in a long time.