Author Topic: Lebron James "if I come into your building for game 1,I can be very challenging"  (Read 8082 times)

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
"I know how good I am. Everybody in this league knows how good I am. All the fans know. No matter how much they try to deny it, or hate, or tell you anything different. They know when I step on the court, they fear me, as fans of the game. I'm not saying my opponents fear me, but when I get a wide-open shot, I hear the crowd. Before I shoot it, I hear. They all respect it."

This was from 2 days ago.  Any guess as to who said it?

Again Moranis the issue is he is talking about his team in the playoffs and using the first person. This new quote is just talking about someone having confidence in their own shot. That is very common.  There is a big difference in my opinion between these types of comments. I can respect if they are the same to you. It is nuanced. What I do have an issue with is you saying I have very bad form when I share a quote from a front page article and leave out the phrase "game 1" while also providing a link to everyone for full context. You wouldn't have done that if I shared an article about Demarcus Cousins or James Harden. You did it cause you like James a lot.
that isn't true at all, I think the game 1 part makes the quote much different, especially when you put the part before it about the seeding.  James was asked a specific question about seeding, and in that context his full answer makes a lot more sense and is far less arrogant then your initial post lets on.  I suspect if it was Durant you wouldn't have made this post at all.

I actually really don't like Durant for joining the warriors so you are wrong on that aspect of it. However I can be an adult about and admit that you are correct. If a player I really liked (like Leonard) said this I wouldn't share it on the forum. I would still think it was kind of crappy for Leonard to talk about himself like that in reference to his team, but I wouldn't share it. Now in that same vein and me being honest I would appreciate it if you could admit that my quote missing "in game 1" was actually an honest mistake and (note I also included the link for reference) and isn't some "very bad form" worthy of derision from you. Are you able to do that?

Both of you guys are being a little sensitive, no?

I don't think it matters that clay missed a couple words. The quote didn't read that much differently after it was corrected, at least in my eyes. If you don't like Lebron, I could see how you think he's arrogant with this post. If you like Lebron, you're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, as many athletes say similar things. Many high performers are narcissists. This shouldn't shock anyone.

Also, Moranis may have criticized you, but it wasn't that big of a deal, at least in my eyes. Nothing deserving of an apology.

The Celtics are a top 5 team- it's all good!

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He's simply the best (cue the Tina Turner song), and has been for the last several years.

The key to beating him is the limit his TEAM.

Even Jordan couldn't do it by himself.

BOS has a good shot if we meet them in the playoffs. Kyrie Irving has a LOT to prove, himself.

Re: Lebron James "if I come into your building I can be very challenging"
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 04:06:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I can understand Kobe hate, but I will never get LeBron hate. Dude is an priceless ornament to the NBA and the USA.
LOL ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Lets see how he brags once he suffers a significant injury that will hamper his speed and athleticism.
The guy is very lucky never to have had a significant amount of time off due to injury.. He is due for one.. All players have haf their share even the great ones.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
"To be the man, you have to beat the man"

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Lets see how he brags once he suffers a significant injury that will hamper his speed and athleticism.
The guy is very lucky never to have had a significant amount of time off due to injury.. He is due for one.. All players have haf their share even the great ones.
Its not about being very lucky.  Some players like Lebron are just a lot more durable.  Lebron also works hard to keep himself in good shape. 

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm going to paraphrase some sentiments that I read today on basketballmonster by a couple users which I agree with.

Lebron came from an environment that was setup for him to fail.  At just age 16, he was anointed by ESPN, Sports illustrated, etc. as "The Chosen one", "The King", "The next big thing", etc.  He didn't choose these labels.  The hype machines did it to keep driving the hype and make money off of him.

He then came into the NBA at just 18 yrs old with unprecedented hype & pressure to be "the next big thing".  If his career ended today, with 3 titles and 4 MVPS before retiring at age 33, his lasting legacy will be that he lived up to the unbelievable hype & pressure.  Seeing that he is still playing at the top of his game, he could end up surpassing even optimistic career and life projections.

I don't have issue with him having bought into all the hype that we are all guilty of having bought into ourselves.  If he was a Celtic throughout his career, we would be more obnoxiously egotistical about him than he is about himself.

Oh and on top of all that, he's not even once been in trouble with the law or had any iota of a scandal arise with his name off the court.  As he's being held by so many people to an impossibly high standard of a human being, I choose to give him a break on any of his egotistical off-court quotes.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm going to paraphrase some sentiments that I read today on basketballmonster by a couple users which I agree with.

Lebron came from an environment that was setup for him to fail.  At just age 16, he was anointed by ESPN, Sports illustrated, etc. as "The Chosen one", "The King", "The next big thing", etc.  He didn't choose these labels.  The hype machines did it to keep driving the hype and make money off of him.

He then came into the NBA at just 18 yrs old with unprecedented hype & pressure to be "the next big thing".  If his career ended today, with 3 titles and 4 MVPS before retiring at age 33, his lasting legacy will be that he lived up to the unbelievable hype & pressure.  Seeing that he is still playing at the top of his game, he could end up surpassing even optimistic career and life projections.

I don't have issue with him having bought into all the hype that we are all guilty of having bought into ourselves.  If he was a Celtic throughout his career, we would be more obnoxiously egotistical about him than he is about himself.

Oh and on top of all that, he's not even once been in trouble with the law or had any iota of a scandal arise with his name off the court.  As he's being held by so many people to an impossibly high standard of a human being, I choose to give him a break on any of his egotistical off-court quotes.

Lebron got "CHOSEN 1" tattooed across his back during high school, right after an ESPN headline referred to him as such. He inscribed "King James" into basketball cards his rookie season. He's been hyping himself up since he was 16. Him betting on himself (in the form of openly acknowledging his quest to surpass Jordan) has paid off in a tremendous way, making him much more famous than he would have been if he had stayed quiet, but let's not pretend he hasn't been feeding the hype beast himself since he was very young.

LeBron might surpass Jordan's career through longevity (he could be the only 40k-10k-10k player EVER), but the fact of the matter is that he has yet to match Jordan's 6-year peak, despite constantly bragging about his greatness.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Lebron got "CHOSEN 1" tattooed across his back during high school, right after an ESPN headline referred to him as such. He inscribed "King James" into basketball cards his rookie season. He's been hyping himself up since he was 16. Him betting on himself (in the form of openly acknowledging his quest to surpass Jordan) has paid off in a tremendous way, making him much more famous than he would have been if he had stayed quiet, but let's not pretend he hasn't been feeding the hype beast himself since he was very young.

LeBron might surpass Jordan's career through longevity (he could be the only 40k-10k-10k player EVER), but the fact of the matter is that he has yet to match Jordan's 6-year peak, despite constantly bragging about his greatness.

10000 tps. This is a ludicrous take to defend Lebron. He got the tattoo when he was 17!!!!! Jesus

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

10000 tps. This is a ludicrous take to defend Lebron. He got the tattoo when he was 17!!!!! Jesus

And he was dubbed "The Chosen One" by Sports Illustrated as a Junior.

It's a ludicrous take to think that other media outlets were the main drivers of the Lebron hype that he himself bought into?

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

So because he might only be a top 4 player of all time, he should just shut up?

Until somebody surpasses Jordan's dominance of winning 6 titles in 8 seasons, should no player ever be allowed to talk about how dominant they are over their current league?  A guy who has been to seven straight NBA Finals hasn't been dominant enough to talk about how he's not concerned about getting back to the Finals again?

What a boring league some of you guys want.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Get bent LeBrick

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Until somebody surpasses Jordan's dominance of winning 6 titles in 8 seasons, should no player ever be allowed to talk about how dominant they are over their current league?  A guy who has been to seven straight NBA Finals hasn't been dominant enough to talk about how he's not concerned about getting back to the Finals again?

I agree. I would love this quote if he played on the Celtics. I would think he's confident. He plays in CLE, which makes this arrogance.

It is amazing that even with the spotlight on him for the last 17 years, he's been a model citizen. I'm sure I could have figured out how to get into trouble in that situation. Of course, few seem to care about this detail. Picking apart his interviews is more fun.

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

That's not at all what I said, and it's actually the opposite of what I believe.

I love LeBron's confidence. It is something very rarely seen in basketball (or America) these days. He takes pride in his craft, and he's not afraid to let people know about it. That's wonderful. It sets a standard of excellence which he has to push for. It makes the NBA more entertaining to follow. It helps promote sports cars, movies, important social causes, and basketball cards, which I collect (only basketball cards lol). It's made him a household name.

But, with big words comes big backlash. If LeBron wants to say he'll drop 50 on the next team he faces and he drops 10, should we not be allowed to make fun of him because he's "already secured his legacy and Nike promoted his comments way too much?" When he says he wants to surpass Jordan but then backtracks (remember his "Well I've already secured my legacy, so I don't care how this Finals goes" comment before the Finals?), should we not be allowed to mention that just because his counting stats are reaching Jordan's career numbers? When LeBron wants to talk about how dominant he is, can we not bring up that he has not dominated the 2010s like the Warriors have? LeBron sometimes comes off like he wants to convince everyone of how good he is, and it feels like he is compensating for something. He's going to be the greatest of all time on paper, but he's doing it slow-and-steady. And he wants the glory of a decade of dominance which he has not had. Is it out of our ability to point that out?

To suggest that poor, 33-year-old LeBron should not (cannot?) receive backlash when he fails to live up to the expectations he publicly sets for himself is silly. The "the media started it 15 years ago, so anything he says after that is because of big, bad Nike and Sports Illustrated" excuse is very poor. He is an intelligent man who has been in the spotlight for over half his life now. His "I'm so good" persona was and is a calulated risk that has yielded significantly more rewards than pitfalls. So when Lebron is asked about how his team (The Cavailers) would react to not having home court and he only responds with first-person pronouns (well I don't care because I'm good enough to give anyone problems anywhere), darn right we can give him crap for it. When Jordan said stuff like this, everyone shut up and agreed because he was that good.

Basically, LeBron has not reached the level of dominance that warrants the "shut up, he's too good to fall short" reasoning yet, and the "he doesn't want the attention, it's the 'hype machine' doing it all" excuse holds no water.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:00:01 PM by GetLucky »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
But, with big words comes big backlash. If LeBron wants to say he'll drop 50 on the next team he faces and he drops 10, should we not be allowed to make fun of him
Get Lucky, I agree with you that we should absolutely be allowed to make fun of him in that situation and I would join in on that.  If he fails to make the ECF while losing as a lower seed, then yes, we should go back and make fun of him for these recent comments.  But what's happening now is more akin to people getting on him before the game just for being so egotistical to even say he will drop 50.