Author Topic: Lebron James "if I come into your building for game 1,I can be very challenging"  (Read 8080 times)

Re: Lebron James "if I come into your building I can be very challenging"
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 09:24:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's not wrong but I think the supporting case will ultimately be his undoing this playoff run.

Serious chance that his NBA finals streak is snapped.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 11:05:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I can understand Kobe hate, but I will never get LeBron hate. Dude is an priceless ornament to the NBA and the USA.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 11:18:55 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I can understand Kobe hate, but I will never get LeBron hate. Dude is an priceless ornament to the NBA and the USA.

What do Lebron, Arod, and Brady have in common? They have all been the best at their game, and they have all received a disproportionate amount of hate from fans.

I don't know the reason why normal people get satisfaction from talking smack about athletes that they don't know. There must be some type of emotional release for some guys to call Lebron a bum.

It's not enough to say that you don't like him- you then have to go look for quotes and find faults. "But he said I'm a challenge, not the Cavs are a challenge".  Ok, I get your point. I still think its a weak one, and demonstrates a bias. Go back through the history of sports- I think you will find other athletes talking about themselves.

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

What do Lebron, Arod, and Brady have in common? They have all been the best at their game, and they have all received a disproportionate amount of hate from fans.

I don't know the reason why normal people get satisfaction from talking smack about athletes that they don't know. There must be some type of emotional release for some guys to call Lebron a bum.

It's not enough to say that you don't like him- you then have to go look for quotes and find faults. "But he said I'm a challenge, not the Cavs are a challenge".  Ok, I get your point. I still think its a weak one, and demonstrates a bias. Go back through the history of sports- I think you will find other athletes talking about themselves.

ARod?   Guy treated PEDs like tic-tacs.

I think he deserves a lot of criticism he gets.  He brought it upon himself.

Lebron & Brady, not so much.   A-Rod doesn't belong in that echelon.

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

ARod played in an era where steroids were rampant. Guys like Manny and Papi were outed for PED use. Why is ARod considered to be a national villain, and guys like Papi skate scott free?

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

ARod played in an era where steroids were rampant. Guys like Manny and Papi were outed for PED use. Why is ARod considered to be a national villain, and guys like Papi skate scott free?

You put a guy who admitted to PED use & got caught up in the Biogenesis scandal on the same level of Lebron & Brady and wondered why he gets the level of criticism that he did.   There's your answer right there.   

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

You put a guy who admitted to PED use & got caught up in the Biogenesis scandal on the same level of Lebron & Brady and wondered why he gets the level of criticism that he did.   There's your answer right there.

I put ARod on the same level as Brady for one reason: the national media created the narrative that they alone were violating rules. In 2018, steroid use is almost a laughable offense in major league sports. They are so rampant that it is hard to determine who is right and who is wrong.

Nobody cares about what Ryan Tannehill does with his footballs. Very few care that Miguel Tejada, Dee Gordon, and Starling Marte were suspended for banned substances.

People care about the top guys that will leave a legacy (Bonds, Clemens, ARod, Lance Armstrong, etc, etc). Why? Because we're jealous, and we want to see the King's crown get knocked off.

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 11:59:06 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Now that I'm not on my phone, I can actually put the full quote since clay decided to skip parts of it.

"If I come into your building for a Game 1, I can be very challenging."

Before that he was talking about seeding, so here is the full context.

"Listen, it doesn't matter to me if I'm a 6-seed or a 3-seed or a 2-seed, 8-seed," James said. "If I come into your building for a Game 1, I can be very challenging."

When you have the full quote and the full context, it gives a much different impression of what James was saying and his meaning.
I don't get the difference at all.  He still says "I" instead of "WE".  He's certainly very arrogant.

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
At least quote what he actually said if you are going to put quote marks.  Very poor form to not do so

I got to say I am pretty baffled to call this "very poor form." For those that don't know what is being referenced here Lebron did say exactly what I included and the spirit of his comments was the exact same with the addition of the phrase "for game 1". If this somehow caused confusion for anyone I apologize for this bad form.

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 01:14:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Now that I'm not on my phone, I can actually put the full quote since clay decided to skip parts of it.

"If I come into your building for a Game 1, I can be very challenging."

Before that he was talking about seeding, so here is the full context.

"Listen, it doesn't matter to me if I'm a 6-seed or a 3-seed or a 2-seed, 8-seed," James said. "If I come into your building for a Game 1, I can be very challenging."

When you have the full quote and the full context, it gives a much different impression of what James was saying and his meaning.
I don't get the difference at all.  He still says "I" instead of "WE".  He's certainly very arrogant.

Thank you liber. Moranis that is the whole point. He is talking about he has playing at an all time level and talking about himself rather than his team and how great he is. Obviously there are quite a number of posters in this thread that see why that is an interesting discussion point. Adding the phrase game 1 or seeding context doesn't change that all.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
"I know how good I am. Everybody in this league knows how good I am. All the fans know. No matter how much they try to deny it, or hate, or tell you anything different. They know when I step on the court, they fear me, as fans of the game. I'm not saying my opponents fear me, but when I get a wide-open shot, I hear the crowd. Before I shoot it, I hear. They all respect it."

This was from 2 days ago.  Any guess as to who said it?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Or maybe this guy from a couple of seasons ago

Are you the best player in the world right now?

"In my mind, yes. That’s how I have confidence out there that I can play at a high level every night. I don’t get into debates, arguing with people about why I am versus somebody else. I feel like anybody who’s at the level I’m trying to be at, if you don’t think that when you’re on the floor, then you’re doing yourself a disservice."

Or maybe this guy (also from a couple of seasons ago)

who is the league’s best player at his position?

“Best point guard or best player?”

Either one.

“I am”

“I thrive on scoring the basketball and creating shots for my teammates” 

This notion that all great players aren't confident, if not arrogant, is just silly.  They all believe these things, that is what makes them so great.  And if they didn't answer the questions asked, they would get a bunch of crap for avoiding the question.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
"I know how good I am. Everybody in this league knows how good I am. All the fans know. No matter how much they try to deny it, or hate, or tell you anything different. They know when I step on the court, they fear me, as fans of the game. I'm not saying my opponents fear me, but when I get a wide-open shot, I hear the crowd. Before I shoot it, I hear. They all respect it."

Again Moranis the issue is he is talking about his team in the playoffs and using the first person. This new quote is just talking about someone having confidence in their own shot. That is very common.  There is a big difference in my opinion between these types of comments. I can respect if they are the same to you. It is nuanced. What I do have an issue with is you saying I have very bad form when I share a quote from a front page article and leave out the phrase "game 1" while also providing a link to everyone for full context. You wouldn't have done that if I shared an article about Demarcus Cousins or James Harden. You did it cause you like James a lot.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Again Moranis the issue is he is talking about his team in the playoffs and using the first person. This new quote is just talking about someone having confidence in their own shot. That is very common.  There is a big difference in my opinion between these types of comments. I can respect if they are the same to you. It is nuanced. What I do have an issue with is you saying I have very bad form when I share a quote from a front page article and leave out the phrase "game 1" while also providing a link to everyone for full context. You wouldn't have done that if I shared an article about Demarcus Cousins or James Harden. You did it cause you like James a lot.
that isn't true at all, I think the game 1 part makes the quote much different, especially when you put the part before it about the seeding.  James was asked a specific question about seeding, and in that context his full answer makes a lot more sense and is far less arrogant then your initial post lets on.  I suspect if it was Durant you wouldn't have made this post at all.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

that isn't true at all, I think the game 1 part makes the quote much different, especially when you put the part before it about the seeding.  James was asked a specific question about seeding, and in that context his full answer makes a lot more sense and is far less arrogant then your initial post lets on.  I suspect if it was Durant you wouldn't have made this post at all.

I actually really don't like Durant for joining the warriors so you are wrong on that aspect of it. However I can be an adult about and admit that you are correct. If a player I really liked (like Leonard) said this I wouldn't share it on the forum. I would still think it was kind of crappy for Leonard to talk about himself like that in reference to his team, but I wouldn't share it. Now in that same vein and me being honest I would appreciate it if you could admit that my quote missing "in game 1" was actually an honest mistake and (note I also included the link for reference) and isn't some "very bad form" worthy of derision from you. Are you able to do that?