Author Topic: Should we even care about seeding?  (Read 3553 times)

Re: Should we even care about seeding?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 08:48:31 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
If the Celtics enter the playoffs healthy and relatively rested, then seeding shouldn't make a difference. I don't want to see them go all out for the number 1 seed and get burnt out before the playoffs even start. I'd like to see guys get days off now to re-energize before the playoffs. Besides Irving resting his knee, I still believe Tatum could benefit from sitting a few games. He is the only player on the Celtics to start every game. I don’t think it’s fair to assume that he could go from starting 27 games in college to starting 82 regular season games plus hopefully a long playoff run.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Boston needs the path that does not have Toronto or Cleveland until the ECF.  So the most likely way that happens is Toronto 1, Boston 2, and Cleveland falling to 4 or 5.  I don't think Cleveland falls to 4 or 5, but that would be the best case scenario.

Yep I could go with this.  Plus we need to make sure our main cogs are fresh and ready to go for the playoffs.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 10:06:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Boston needs the path that does not have Toronto or Cleveland until the ECF.  So the most likely way that happens is Toronto 1, Boston 2, and Cleveland falling to 4 or 5.  I don't think Cleveland falls to 4 or 5, but that would be the best case scenario.

Yep I could go with this.  Plus we need to make sure our main cogs are fresh and ready to go for the playoffs.
I think the best scenario is Boston overtaking Toronto for the 1 and then Cleveland hangs onto the 3, but Boston overtaking Toronto seems less likely than Cleveland falling out of the 3 (though sadly I do think the most likely scenario is Toronto 1, Boston 2, and Cleveland 3). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Now that we're virtually locked into the second seed, I guess it's time to stop caring about it.

We're not.

We still play TOR twice.

Smart punching a picture is the only reason we're not still number 1.  We deserve it, and we should take it back.
We don't, really, but it's nice to dream. Also, we're already 3 games behind Toronto in the loss column.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
As others have said, I think the only thing that really matters is avoiding a path with both Cleveland and Toronto.

Toronto and Boston will be 1/2 in some order; that’s pretty much a given at this point. And though Toronto has a fairly tough schedule the rest of the way, I think we’ll prioritize resting down the stretch and be content with the 2 seed.

But Cleveland is in serious danger of dropping to 4 or below, as they’re just starting a 6 game road trip with games against Denver, LAC, and the red-hot Lakers and Trailblazers, let alone remaining games against Milwaukee, Philly, Toronto x 2, Washington, and New Orleans.

Indiana, Washington, and Philly are all within 2 losses of Cleveland and are legitimate threats to pass them up. And given (a) Cleveland’s tough schedule down the stretch, (b) Lebron’s long-standing preference of rest over seeding, and (c) the fact that there’s no real incentive for Cleveland to stay in that 3 spot but only remain at 4 for homecourt advantage in the first round, I definitely see Cleveland dropping to 4 or 5.

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not terribly.  Although, I certainly would prefer home court for at least the first two rounds.

Health, as always, is my larger concern.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

I think the best scenario is Boston overtaking Toronto for the 1 and then Cleveland hangs onto the 3, but Boston overtaking Toronto seems less likely than Cleveland falling out of the 3 (though sadly I do think the most likely scenario is Toronto 1, Boston 2, and Cleveland 3).

I think they’re both about equally as likely. Toronto’s schedule is *rough* down the stretch, with 13 of their remaining 19 games against playoff teams or good teams fighting for a playoff spot (e.g. play twice at Detroit), including 7 games against top-4 Conference seeds in Boston (x2), Cleveland (x2), Houston, and Indy (x2), let alone playing OKC and Denver, too.

As for Cleveland, they also have a decently difficult schedule down the stretch. What helps them is that both Indy and Washington also have difficult remaining schedules, and while Philly looks to have the easiest schedule, they might be too young still to take advantage of it.

But I think Cleveland ends up prioritizing rest and falls to 4 or so, and I think we’ll also do the same and let Toronto have the number one seed, which benefits us better anyways by avoiding both Toronto and Cleveland.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I think they’re both about equally as likely. Toronto’s schedule is *rough* down the stretch, with 13 of their remaining 19 games against playoff teams or good teams fighting for a playoff spot (e.g. play twice at Detroit), including 7 games against top-4 Conference seeds in Boston (x2), Cleveland (x2), Houston, and Indy (x2), let alone playing OKC and Denver, too.

As for Cleveland, they also have a decently difficult schedule down the stretch. What helps them is that both Indy and Washington also have difficult remaining schedules, and while Philly looks to have the easiest schedule, they might be too young still to take advantage of it.

But I think Cleveland ends up prioritizing rest and falls to 4 or so, and I think we’ll also do the same and let Toronto have the number one seed, which benefits us better anyways by avoiding both Toronto and Cleveland.
Boston's schedule isn't exactly easy, 10 games against playoff teams, and a road game against Utah (so 11 of 17 against teams with winning records).  10 of the 17 on the road, including a 4 game west trip and 3 sets of back to backs with travel in between. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It is nearing Spring

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Celts will need to face Cleveland and Toronto at some point in the playoffs if they want to make the Finals.  It would be nice to have home court advantage against Cleveland but I don't think it will matter that much.  The winning team will win a game on the road.

There should be some incentive to avoid a bad first round matchup.  I think I'd rather the Celts face the Sixers or Heat, for example, than the Wizards or the Bucks.  The Pacers don't scare me but I think they'd give the Celts a good series.  The Wizards and the Bucks have the talent to make the ECF.  The Sixers and Heat don't have enough offense, in my view.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 05:48:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
The Celts will need to face Cleveland and Toronto at some point in the playoffs if they want to make the Finals.  It would be nice to have home court advantage against Cleveland but I don't think it will matter that much.  The winning team will win a game on the road.

There should be some incentive to avoid a bad first round matchup.  I think I'd rather the Celts face the Sixers or Heat, for example, than the Wizards or the Bucks.  The Pacers don't scare me but I think they'd give the Celts a good series.  The Wizards and the Bucks have the talent to make the ECF.  The Sixers and Heat don't have enough offense, in my view.

76ers turnovers will not work in the playoffs

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
WE ARE GOING TO BEAT ANY AND EVERY TEAM THAT WE FACE!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Cleveland has a very good chance of being alone in 4th place after tonight. I feel like some people are not even looking at the standings here

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 06:07:47 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
WE ARE GOING TO BEAT ANY AND EVERY TEAM THAT WE FACE!

^^ This! Line em up we'll knock em down!
ok fine

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 06:07:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
As others have said, I think the only thing that really matters is avoiding a path with both Cleveland and Toronto.

This.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008