Author Topic: Current GS playoff match-ups could open door for Eastern Team  (Read 1282 times)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Golden State would currently have to face Oklahoma City in the first round (that is a horrible first round match-up for the Warriors), then either Portland or Minnesota in round 2 (both physical big teams with some pure scorers) before the likely WCF match-up against the Rockets.  The only way this path gets harder is if San Antonio gets back Kawhi and ends up either 3 or 6 (3 to 6 are all within a game of each other and OKC is 1.5 out of 3rd).  Remember, the one year Cleveland beat Golden State was the one year the Warriors were challenged in the western playoffs and they just wore down against the Cavs.  If they do end up with OKC, SAS, and Houston I could see all of those series going 6 or 7 games, leaving the Warriors (if they even advance) being beat up and tired when they hit the finals.  Now it would be easier if they overtook Houston for that 1 seed, and there is so much basketball left and the west is so volatile anything can happen with the seedings (Utah is currently 10th but only 4 games from 3rd), but right now GS is looking at a pretty difficult road to the finals.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Current GS playoff match-ups could open door for Eastern Team
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:43:58 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Agreed. That’s not a current playoff seeding path that GS wants, especially OKC in the first round.

How awesome would it be if OKC and Russ knocked off KD and GS in the first round, though?

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
On a side note, Cleveland is also trending toward a really rough playoff path, especially if they fall back to 4th. That’d set up a likely first round matchup with Indy, Washington, or Philly, who they’re a combined 5-5 against this year. Then they’d have to most likely go against both the red-hot Raptors and the similarity hot Celtics, which is really difficult to see them winning both series, especially without homecourt advantage. I actually don’t know if they get past Toronto in round two.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I agree that the competition is deep in the West.  Unfortunately Golden State's talent and depth is still far too much for any of those teams.  The biggest threat to the Warriors is their own complacency.  The Thunder don't score efficiently enough to keep up with G-State.  The games have the potential to be close but I don't see a series going past 5 games.   Their margin for error is just too slim IMO.  The Blazers have been impressive but I can't see them maintaining their level of play in the postseason.  A series against Golden State would be similar to the Celtics vs Cavs from last season.

The Rockets on paper should be VERY competitive but I'm not convinced they have the intangibles to win close playoff games.  In 25 playoff losses with James Harden the Rockets have lost by an average of 15 PPG.  Most of the single digit losses came in Hardens first two years with the Rockets, meaning that things have only gotten worse.  Can you wear a team down if your leader doesn't compete in losses?  Hopefully Chris Paul has changed their identity.

As a fan I wish the Timberwolves were a much better defensive team.  They have the talent to be an elite team on both ends of the floor.  Hopefully they will become a legitimate threat to Golden State in the coming years.

The Warriors might stumble into a 6 game playoff series but will it truly wear them out if they aren't dialed in?  I'm just not convinced that anyone can take them to the limit when they are playing with 100% focus and effort.  Hopefully I am dead wrong about this.   

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I still think they're the team to beat but it certainly looks like they'll have a more difficult path this year especially since I think HOU is for real and has a legit shot on knocking them off.

Could bode well for the Celtics come June.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:03:27 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
How awesome would it be if OKC and Russ knocked off KD and GS in the first round, though?

Or if the Durant/Warriors super team only ended up with 1 ring.

With that potential gauntlet they might have to go through this year, and that 2019 could look really different with LeBron possibly on the move and Hayward back (obviously I'm hoping that will be the C's year),  I wouldn't be surprised if GS comes up empty the next couple of years.

Of course, GS could still win the next 2-3 championships, and are still the favorite to do so, but it definitely doesn't look like a sure thing from where I'm sitting.

Could bode well for the Celtics come June.

Would love a potential playoff path of MIA/IND/TOR/HOU (really anybody other than GS).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:38:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't see OKC as any competition for GSW. OKC are top heavy and have failed to gel as a team. They are not a threat to GSW. GSW will smoke them in a playoff series. 5 games.

Portland are not talented enough to threaten GSW either. Lillard and McCollum will give them a scare in one game or two but GSW will walk the rest of the series.

Minnesota have the talent but lack the maturity. Wiggins and Towns are not ready. They do not compete hard enough on defense and Wiggins doesn't understand how to help his team outside of scoring the ball. The talent is there but the maturity is not. GSW will make short work of them too.

Houston are a threat. They will give the Warriors a legit run for their money.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I don't see OKC as any competition for GSW. OKC are top heavy and have failed to gel as a team. They are not a threat to GSW. GSW will smoke them in a playoff series. 5 games.
Even without Roberson (and Brewer will help them), OKC is a horrible match-up for the Warriors because they can win the PG battle and they can make Durant work on both ends of the floor like very few teams.  There is a reason that OKC has beaten the Warriors by 17 and 20 (they did get crushed in the 3rd and most recent game, though PG and RW were a combined 5 of 29 and CA wasn't a much better 6 of 17).  The Thunder are definitely thin, but in the playoffs when you can realistically play 8 or 9 man rotations, that thinness is less important (Adams, Anthony, George, Huestis, Westbrook, Patterson, Grant, Felton, and Brewer is a pretty solid 9).  They have the right mix of scoring, defense, rebounding, etc. to really push the Warriors and make them work.  And more importantly Westbrook isn't afraid of that team.  He will physically brutalize Curry on both ends of the floor.  George seems to relish the Durant match-up as well, and if they put Green on George, then Durant still has to guard Anthony so he can't just hide on that end of the floor.  Klay is the key to that series.  If he is on, then GS can certainly win in 4 or 5 (though they will be physically tough games), but if he is off a bit, I'd expect that series to be very close and very tough for the Warriors.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

But OKC is 2-1 against GS so far, and being top heavy isn't much of a factor in a first round matchup, especially when I expect Westbrook and George to play 40mpg.  If it was a WCF or Finals matchup, it'd be a little different though, but in a first round matchup, being top heavy won't hurt OKC.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 12:43:39 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Don't forget, GS can opt to play dirty by sending in their secret weapon: Zaza Pachulia.  ::)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 08:30:00 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Curry with his 4th ankle related tweak this year.  The Warriors are only 10-7 without Curry and are a vastly different team without him.  If he is ailing at all, the Warriors won't win the west.

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 09:34:21 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Portland are not talented enough to threaten GSW either. Lillard and McCollum will give them a scare in one game or two but GSW will walk the rest of the series.

Minnesota have the talent but lack the maturity. Wiggins and Towns are not ready. They do not compete hard enough on defense and Wiggins doesn't understand how to help his team outside of scoring the ball. The talent is there but the maturity is not. GSW will make short work of them too.

Houston are a threat. They will give the Warriors a legit run for their money.

But you should expect GSW to walk through the 7/8 seed in a sweep.  GSW is 12-1 in their last three first round series with their only loss coming without Curry.  I think OKC would give them more of a scare than they should expect in a first round matchup.  Typically, like in 2016, GSW could still win a first round matchup even with an injury to Curry.  Against OKC, that wouldn't be so clear.

Of course, if OKC keeps their spot further up the standings this is all irrelevant.  But with SA now falling back into a tie for that 7/8 seed, them with Kawhi back now could also serve as a formidable first round scare.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur