Other Discussions > Other / General Sports

The cricket thread

(1/3) > >>

Eja117:
I did my best to read about it after watching this advertisement too many times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeFQBKIQhJ4

The video also discusses a balk in baseball which I also find a bit confusing

I think I get the rules of cricket except I'm still stumped on being stumped. It seems to be a kind of run out that only the wicket keeper can do.

Phantom255x:
Actually being stumped would be the batsmen stepping past the white line on the pitch, missing and then the wicketkeeper throws the ball or hits the stumps (ball in hand) before the batsmen steps back on to or behind the line.

Think of it like the batters box in baseball, or the restricted area in basketball.

Similar in cricket.

csfansince60s:
Any sport where the terms "donkey drop" and "sticky wicket" and/or any combination of those words (donkey wicket, sticky donkey, sticky drop) are used , count me out.

Eja117:

--- Quote from: Phantom255x on March 03, 2018, 05:00:18 PM ---Actually being stumped would be the batsmen stepping past the white line on the pitch, missing and then the wicketkeeper throws the ball or hits the stumps (ball in hand) before the batsmen steps back on to or behind the line.

Think of it like the batters box in baseball, or the restricted area in basketball.

Similar in cricket.

--- End quote ---
I thiiiinnkkk I get that. But it's still just a tad confusing. If that were a thing why would they leave the "batters box" prematurely? The odds? Kinda like....in baseball....sorta like running before the pitch? Like they just assume they'll hit it or that the wicket keeper won't catch it?

Eja117:

--- Quote from: csfansince60s on March 03, 2018, 05:01:28 PM ---Any sport where the terms "donkey drop" and "sticky wicket" and/or any combination of those words (donkey wicket, sticky donkey, sticky drop) are used , count me out.

--- End quote ---
They had me at googley. But ...I am not watching a 5 day match or an all day match with a tea break.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version