Other Discussions > Other / General Sports

U.S. Politics may cost the U.S. the 2026 World Cup

(1/8) > >>

Moranis:
http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3400487/united-states-led-2026-world-cup-bid-in-jeopardy-to-morocco-sources

Not just the current administration's immigration policies (or the President trashing other countries), but also the FBI investigation into FIFA which took down many South American executives. 

According to the article, Morrocco's bid is being heavily supported by Asia, Africa, and South America, while the U.S. bid, which is joint with Canada and Mexico, is being supported by most of Europe, the Oceanias, the rest of North America (since the 3 hosts can't vote), and some Asian countries.

It really seems odd to me that South America wouldn't support a North American bid, especially since 2026 is the first year the field expands to 48 teams and the U.S. (along with Canada and Mexico) is one of the few countries that can easily support an expanded field.  And I could totally understand if a place like England or Germany was the other country, but Morocco is just a strange bed fellow for the world to die on.

Roy H.:

--- Quote ---... but also the FBI investigation into FIFA which took down many South American executives. 

--- End quote ---

I mean, that’s as far as you need to look. Even though some of the corrupt execs were removed, there are no doubt plenty left.  We’re talking about the same voters, and friends of the same voters, who awarded Qatar a bid.

KGs Knee:
Misleading title....it should read "world politics may cost US".

Our politics seem to have little to do with this.  It's much more of the same corrupt officials of the Asian, African, and South American continents supporting each other.

Donoghus:

--- Quote from: Roy H. on February 28, 2018, 10:23:29 AM ---
--- Quote ---... but also the FBI investigation into FIFA which took down many South American executives. 

--- End quote ---

I mean, that’s as far as you need to look. Even though some of the corrupt execs were removed, there are no doubt plenty left.  We’re talking about the same voters, and friends of the same voters, who awarded Qatar a bid.

--- End quote ---

Exactly.  The Qatar selection proved that.  Morocco getting the bid over the US wouldn't surprise me at all after that.

It really is neck & neck between the IOC & FIFA over who is more corrupt. 

ederson:

--- Quote from: Donoghus on February 28, 2018, 10:44:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: Roy H. on February 28, 2018, 10:23:29 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Exactly.  The Qatar selection proved that.  Morocco getting the bid over the US wouldn't surprise me at all after that.

It really is neck & neck between the IOC & FIFA over who is more corrupt.

--- End quote ---

It is true though that FIFA tries to send the circus to every continent. Brazil, Russia, Qatar ... It is Africa's turn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version