Author Topic: Rockets are 30-1 when Harden, Paul, and Capela all play  (Read 2753 times)

Re: Rockets are 30-1 when Harden, Paul, and Capela all play
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I do wonder what will happen if the Rockets are able to launch 40-50 threes a game against the Warriors. That's a variable that we've not seen in NBA history.

That being said, Paul, Harden, and D'Antoni are chronic playoff chokers.

Also, the Warriors have an extra level to go up defensively, especially for covering the three.

I completely agree.  I think of this series in terms of a tie game with 5 minutes remaining.  The Warriors simply have more flexibility on both sides of the ball.  Can Houston win if you take away their pace?  Harden is probably the best iso player in basketball but his playoff failures speak for themselves.  As for Chris Paul, I think he will be over matched in the closing minutes.  This has more to do with father time than anything else.  G-State has the ability to clamp down on defense when needed, yet still score efficiently in the half court.
During Houston's current 13 game winning streak they have the slowest pace in the NBA.  In their prior 13 game winning streak they had the 5th fastest pace in the league.  So yeah, Houston can win at any pace.

I know that they are having success with Harden and Paul in the half court but I'm still not convinced that it will translate against the Warriors.  I see a 6 game series at best.  The Rockets are a crazy talented group with the best isolation scorer/playmaker in the game.  I can't knock any of this.  It all boils down to my lack of faith in Harden come playoff time.  Steamrolling through the regular season just isn't enough to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Your pace statistics definitely indicate that things could be different this season.  My problem is that James Harden lead teams rarely play close games.  During the 13 game winning streak there have been virtually zero games that have come down to the final minutes.  Kudos to Houston for destroying everyone but it still doesn't provide evidence of what to expect in crunch time against the Warriors.  The Rockets seem to blow everyone out in their wins.

Here's a crazy stat - The Rockets average margin of defeat during their 25 playoff losses with Harden is 14.88.  This indicates a lack of mental toughness.  For the sake of the average NBA fan hopefully Chris Paul can change this culture come playoff time.

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
One thing I know for sure -- I hope that any Warriors - Rockets series swings on a hot-streak by either Nick Young or Gerald Green.

I don't care which one.  I just want one of them to swing the series.  I think it'd be hilarious.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 02:08:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
That record is definitely impressive, but the idea that Capela could have any impact on a game is just mind boggling.

Capela is playing fantastic basketball. He accounts for 7.5 of their win shares.

He's basically a perfect player in his specific role, i.e. set picks, run from one paint to the other, bother shots at the rim on defense, catch and finish near the rim on offense.

There's a lot of value in that given he finishes over 70% within 3 feet, grabs 23% of available rebounds, and blocks 6% of two point attempts that go up when he's on the floor.
He also shows that you don't need a center that can shoot the ball from deep to be successful.

True.  But even though he's valuable in his role, I don't think any team, including the Rockets, should pay him big $$$$ to do it.  You can always find another athletic pogo stick to fill that role, even if they won't necessarily be as elite in that role as Capela.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
One thing I know for sure -- I hope that any Warriors - Rockets series swings on a hot-streak by either Nick Young or Gerald Green.

I don't care which one.  I just want one of them to swing the series.  I think it'd be hilarious.

Of course we want it to be GG.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Houston definitely has a punchers chance.  But I agree with an earlier sentiment on Harden.  He's choked massively in the past (the series against Miami comes to mind) and can't be fully trusted.

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Houston definitely has a punchers chance.  But I agree with an earlier sentiment on Harden.  He's choked massively in the past (the series against Miami comes to mind) and can't be fully trusted.

Last year against the Spurs was absolutely dreadful too!  I would have more faith in Harden if he came up short after competing for 48 minutes.  As I mentioned earlier, the Rockets lose by an average of 15 PPG in their 25 playoff losses with Harden.  When things get uncomfortable Harden shuts down.  I wont buy in until he proves me wrong. 

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
It's an absolutely amazing stat but I still don't view Houston as a legit threat against a full strength Warriors squad.  Mike D'Antoni's best teams have always been great during the regular season.  Their free flowing style of play is infectious.  The problem is that they lack defensive intangibles come playoff time.  Mediocre defense can win as long as you have the ability to get timely stops.  Golden State can win any style of game.   

In fairness to D'Antoni it's probably not his fault if they don't get over the top.  The unfortunate reality is that Rockets SHOULD be the favorite in most years.  Durant's move to the Warriors shifted the balance of power way too much.  Hopefully I'm wrong about this.

This current Rockets team has a number of high level defensive players (Capela, Paul, Ariza, LRMAM, Tucker).

I think people sleeping on this team are fooling themselves.

TP

I absolutely agree.  They will be the ultimate matchup for GSW.  Capela is a defensive anchor in the middle and will help on a lot of the drives by GSW.  Houston is a bit better defensively and a bit worse offensively.  This will be a heavy weight matchup.  Hopefully their series goes 7 and they beat the hell out of each other.

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Can we stop kidding ourselves by acting like any team in the league has a shot of beating a healthy Warriors squad in a seven-game series?

I would be surprised if Houston pushed them past six.

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 02:01:07 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Can we stop kidding ourselves by acting like any team in the league has a shot of beating a healthy Warriors squad in a seven-game series?

Capela and Gordon have been really good for them. If HOU can maintain their shooting through the WCF, they definitely have a chance to beat GS.

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Capela and Gordon have been really good for them. If HOU can maintain their shooting through the WCF, they definitely have a chance to beat GS.
I think they and OKC have a good chance.  Not a great one, but certainly a greater chance than an injury.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
30-2 after Saturday.  ;D

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 03:08:55 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
30-2 after Saturday.  ;D

30-3. We will beat them so badly it will count as two losses.