Author Topic: Does anyone listen to podcasts?  (Read 1732 times)

Does anyone listen to podcasts?
« on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:08 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
So I just got a new car with bluetooth, have to make some long commutes, and figured I should start listening to some podcasts to kill the time. The only problem is there's so many out there it seems overwhelming. My interests vary form basketball, true crime, medicine, TV shows, and cinema, but I'm not sure where to begin. Anyone have podcasts they listen to regularly or can anyone make any recommendations?

Re: Does anyone listen to podcasts?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 12:58:08 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
So I just got a new car with bluetooth, have to make some long commutes, and figured I should start listening to some podcasts to kill the time. The only problem is there's so many out there it seems overwhelming. My interests vary form basketball, true crime, medicine, TV shows, and cinema, but I'm not sure where to begin. Anyone have podcasts they listen to regularly or can anyone make any recommendations?

Yahoo Sports NBA: Chris Mannix
The Bill Simmons Podcast
The Lowe Post
The Woj Pod
The Ringer NBA Show

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 01:12:09 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
In terms of basketball podcasts, very, very rarely.

I find them generally boring and rather uninformative.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 04:57:45 AM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I listen to a lot of podcasts and agree with Slightly biased bias fan's list with some caveats.

The Lowe Post is the best in terms of basketball. Zach Lowe is just one of the most knowledgeable hosts.

If they talk basketball (there's a lot of culture, football and other topics in there, too), the Bill Simmons podcast is very entertaining, especially if you are a fan of the C's.

I'm not so high on Woj. His forte is breaking news, not radio/podcasts.

The Ringer NBA Show is a mixed bag. There's a lot of variation in the format. I like the ones with Kevin O'Connor and those hosted by Bill. If it's NBA Group Chat I generally don't listen because it's way too chaotic and unnerving.

Chris Mannix, meh. Not a fan.

Other ones I like:

NBA: The Full 48 with Howard Beck and (on occasion), The Jump with Rachel Nichols. I am not a fan of Toucher and Rich but once a week they have a chat with Danny Ainge, so that's interesting to listen to.

Tech: the Vergecast, Wired.

Business, economics: Freakonomics Radio, HBR Ideacast, The Economist Radio.

A word of caution: once you listen to podcasts regularly, it becomes an addiction :)

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 05:41:50 AM »

Offline yelkao

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 17
If you like true crime then for sure check out Serial Season 1 and 2 (season 1 is better), Up and Vanished, Atlanta Monster, Dirty John, and S-Town. They are all riveting and perfect for commutes.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 07:53:48 AM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Chapo trap house

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I've been watching the Joe Rogan Experience on youtube. Apparently he has one of the biggest podcasts.

He has a great mix of guests from all sides. He's very free with language, so if thats not something you like, or have kids in the car, stay away. But I've learned a lot over the last couple weeks. Some times it's more dry than others. His whole thing is he wants to learn, so he'll have guests from Milo, to Kevin Smith, to MMA fighters, to other comedians, Far leaning left and far leaning right. And it's usually a really good conversation and not and insult fest.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
I like Nate Duncan "Dunc'd on podcast"

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 10:40:31 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Here's a tip, check the settings of your podcast player to see if you can increase the speeds of playback.  If not, try to download a player where you can.

You can usually take in information a lot faster than someone can speak it.  Also there can be lulls in the conversation from when the host asks a guest a question and the guest thinks on it for a second, and then there's just regular verbal clutter, sponsor plugs, etc. that are great to speed through.

I usually listen to podcasts at 1.25-1.5 speeds.  Turns an hour podcast into 40-48 minutes.  Doesn't make a big difference on one normal podcast, but when you listen to a lot of them, it adds up.  Plus I listen to some 3-4 hour podcasts where it makes a more notable difference.

Hard to go back once you get used to it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:57:27 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 11:04:54 AM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
To deviate a bit from other answers, if you have any i ntrest in pro wrestling then listen to The Solomonster Sounds off. Exellent podcast that I've been listening to since 2011 and haven't missed a single episode.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 06:55:49 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Must Listen for sports/comedy/pop-culture:

Bill Simmons - BS
Bill Burr - Monday Morning Podcast
Joe Rogan Experience
Lowe Post
The Ringer NBA
Jalen and Jacoby (

For Economics/News/Politics:

Jason Stapleton Program
Ron Paul Liberty Report

Mystery:

Serial Podcast - Season 1 is an awesome listen.
Sh**Town - is another good one

History:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is the best in this genre

The only color that matters is GREEN