Author Topic: Fan banned forever by cavaliers for heckling Patty Mills  (Read 8036 times)

Re: Fan banned forever by cavaliers for heckling Patty Mills
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 03:17:10 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I don't think it's racist. I think it's pretty ignorant and bigoted but not racist. Either way I think the appropriate action was taken.

Many of us plebe readers may read this as a distinction without a difference. Care to expound?

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think it's racist. I think it's pretty ignorant and bigoted but not racist. Either way I think the appropriate action was taken.

Many of us plebe readers may read this as a distinction without a difference. Care to expound?

I don’t know that it’s racist or bigoted. It’s using the guy’s hair to heckle him. Being called “Jamaican” isn’t a slur, it’s a reference to dreads.  This may be racial, but it’s not necessarily racist.

Is it any different than calling a tall white guy Lurch?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 03:30:41 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Yes, we are moving towards more political correctness, but I think this is a good thing, in general. People should be polite in public. Rude people occasionally deserve a punch in the nose, but our society doesn't allow for this either.

Not trying to off topic here, but there is a difference between politeness and political correctness. Most people (in America) are generally polite (except while driving, for some reason). They hold doors, say thank you and please, smile when passing by and generally respect your area of space. I can't say the same thing about other countries. I think the major difference is that Americans respect personal space. Canada is great at this as well.

Political correctness implies that there are disadvantaged groups in America and we should treat them differently (softer) than others. It's really unclear what the disadvantaged groups are because they're growing by the day, and asking for more information about what someone's disadvantage is could be viewed as a micro aggression or "concern trolling." From what I know about life, there are no disadvantaged groups in America, at least not for a long time. Every single person has triggers that make them laugh and cry, and if you find them, you'll get your intended reaction. If we're trying to build a society of vocal equals, telling the collective that certain groups have additional rights is not a good way to start. It also creates incentive to join a disadvantaged (read: victim) group so that you can claim that you are offended anytime things don't go your way.  Being from immigrant parents, I could easily qualify to get thrown right near the top of the victim scale, but I have too much self respect to ever consider myself a victim.

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 03:32:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I don’t know that it’s racist or bigoted. It’s using the guy’s hair to heckle him. Being called “Jamaican” isn’t a slur, it’s a reference to dreads.  This may be racial, but it’s not necessarily racist.

What is this? I have never heard this in my life but it sounds like an interesting term and story...

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 03:33:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I thought what they initially thought was said was a helluva lot worse than what actually was said. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

What is this? I have never heard this in my life but it sounds like an interesting term and story...

Ha!  I'm not sure anyone under 30 will get the reference.  Nice job, Roy!  ;)

Addams Family.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 03:34:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

From the Adamms family.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 03:42:31 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think the term RACIST is overused and most of the time when it is used, its used incorrectly.  And I think people are too thin-skinned.  And to the people have thin skin, I am sorry if I offended you.

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
You could hear the fan scream it while Mills was shooting FT’s.  The second shot he yelled it again, I remember thinking that it wasn’t funny the first time and the second time didn’t make it magically better.  I thought it was ignorant and. It even slightly funny but I didnt find it racist.  I can definitely see why some would feel that way though.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 04:07:39 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
You could hear the fan scream it while Mills was shooting FT’s.  The second shot he yelled it again, I remember thinking that it wasn’t funny the first time and the second time didn’t make it magically better.  I thought it was ignorant and. It even slightly funny but I didnt find it racist.  I can definitely see why some would feel that way though.

So ban him for being lame, making a lame joke. Or ban him for yelling from certain seats. But don't accuse him of being a racist when that remark is not necessarily racial. Are you telling me his hair doesn't look legitimately bad?

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

So ban him for being lame, making a lame joke. Or ban him for yelling from certain seats. But don't accuse him of being a racist when that remark is not necessarily racial. Are you telling me his hair doesn't look legitimately bad?

It would look a lot better if he had not shaved the sides like that.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 04:14:17 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

It would look a lot better if he had not shaved the sides like that.

We're going to be saying that about a lot of aggressively sideburnless players.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
You could hear the fan scream it while Mills was shooting FT’s.  The second shot he yelled it again, I remember thinking that it wasn’t funny the first time and the second time didn’t make it magically better.

Yeah lol when I heard it the first time I said to myself that it was a really, really lame joke. Then I heard him shouting it a second time and I couldn't bear the cringe. He's like one of those people on American Idol who can't sing but his family never told him. I honestly feel sorry for him.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

I'd call it ignorant because Mills is Australian and he's only using the bob-sled Jamaican bit from the movie "Cool Runnings". Maybe bigot is too strong a word? Either way there's no place for that in a basketball game. Keep it basketball.

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Ha!  I'm not sure anyone under 30 will get the reference.  Nice job, Roy!  ;)

Addams Family.

Haha. It’s sad when the culture you grew up with becomes dated. I grew up playing an Atari on a black and white TV in my room.

Here’s Dirk in Lurch costume:

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes