Author Topic: Fan banned forever by cavaliers for heckling Patty Mills  (Read 7968 times)

Fan banned forever by cavaliers for heckling Patty Mills
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The team thinks it’s racist

“Hey Jamaica called, they want their bobsledder back”

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22595452/cleveland-cavaliers-ban-person-heckled-san-antonio-spurs-guard-patty-mills
I fail to see the racism here personally.

Re: Fan banned forever by cavaliers for heckling Patty Mills
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
You seriously don't see that as racism?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Interested to see the direction this thread goes. I have seen some fierce disagreements over it on other discussion forums.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:39:35 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Racist for sure. He has dreads, and the fan was only calling him a Jamaican bobsledder based on the way he looked.

Offensive? Yeah.

Strong reaction by the Cavs? Yes.

Top 10 offensive news item from this past week? Nope.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 01:41:49 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Banned indefinitely does not mean 'banned forever'.

Dumb fan, dumb comment which I believe the majority of people reading this would find to be racist.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Racist for sure. He has dreads, and the fan was only calling him a Jamaican bobsledder based on the way he looked.

Offensive? Yeah.

I honestly don't think that is a strong reaction by the Cavs.  They did exactly what I would expect every single professional team to do in that situation.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 02:01:21 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Offensive? Yeah.

I honestly don't think that is a strong reaction by the Cavs.  They did exactly what I would expect every single professional team to do in that situation.

I was thinking that the guy was a season ticket holder. I'm not sure why I thought that. The reaction isn't that strong- he basically got kicked out of one game and won't be able to buy future tickets for a while.

I think this particular instance is interesting b/c the words appear to be more benign than traditional hate speech. It all depends on the individual. Some may find this to be incredibly insulting, while others might not find the words themselves to be that mean. Either way, this was not a good fan-player interaction.

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 02:09:56 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Banned indefinitely does not mean 'banned forever'.

Dumb fan, dumb comment which I believe the majority of people reading this would find to be racist.

This. The Cavs will “reevaluate” in a year his status. Very much not forever.

This also isn’t an overreaction. Don’t scream racially motivated comments in a public venue. One that includes children, no less. Also, don’t claim that “it’s about his hair, not his skin!” Both skin and hair differ between races of people.

The Cavs Can do whatever they’d like, and “indefinitely with a chance to explain yourself and repent a year from now” is beyond fair.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:18:08 PM by Jiri Welsch »

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
This should be in off topic because the mods will probably warn my post as usual.

This dilution of the word racism is why it doesn't mean anything anymore when you call someone a racist. It used to mean something and was properly chosen for people who actively held back minorities. I used to be a social liberal and then I looked around and realized that current social liberalism is insane. It's just a bunch of victims competing with each other on who can be more offended so that they can get the most amount of sympathy.

The guy made a racial joke that wasn't particularly funny. Should he be banned? I'm not sure. I don't know the rules regarding heckling. Is he a racist? Not enough information.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:32:49 PM by Erik »

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 02:32:57 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Oh yes - how could a professional basketball player be forced to tolerate something that could be construed as a racial taunt?

"You are a cancer to your team, and to the league."

It can't be that a black guy has ugly dreadlocks? He has a choice about his hair. Give me a break. If the Celtics did that to a fan I would stop attending games. Patty Mills' dreadlocks look objectively terrible. It is almost as defenseless a hairstyle as the Drew Gooden "back side soul patch."

I don't have an issue with dreadlocks, they look good on some people. But Patty Mills has shaved the sides of his head, with the dreadlocks on top. It just looks awful. Making fun of an ugly haircut is legitimate. And while maybe the taunt was inartful - so was the hair; and we aren't banning Patty Mills from anything.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
My guess would be the fan was aggravated by the way the game was going, wanted to take out his frustration on Mills and decided that the statement he made was how he was going to get his attention. Dumb, it crossed a line, he should be banned for a time I agree.  Is the fan an idiot?  Probably.  But should everyone be freaking out about racism?  That's where I stop.

If the guy hates people with dark skin why is he at an NBA game to begin with?  So to me a forever ban would be an overreaction.

Worse to me was seeing Lebron get doused with a beer at the garden a couple years back.  That's physically trying to do something to a player. 

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
This should be in off topic because the mods will probably warn my post as usual.

This dilution of the word racism is why it doesn't mean anything anymore when you call someone a racist. It used to mean something and was properly chosen for people who actively held back minorities. I used to be a social liberal and then I looked around and realized that current social liberalism is insane. It's just a bunch of victims competing with each other on who can be more offended so that they can get the most amount of sympathy.

The guy made a racial joke that wasn't particularly funny. Should he be banned? I'm not sure. I don't know the rules regarding heckling. Is he a racist? Not enough information.

I don't think you would get warned for anything you said in this post. Regarding the "racial joke" here we probably don't have enough information.

Did the fan actually think the guy Patty is from Jamaica or is saying he looks Jamaican just because of his haircut? The fact that Patty is actually Australian adds a whole different layer to this because I think if the guy said "Australia called they need someone to wrangle their kangeroos" I doubt he would be banned for it.
In that vein if someone yelled out "Hey Tony Parker go drink some Bordeaux and eat a baguette cause you are waaashed up" would people think it was inappropriate?

That being said, the NBA wants it to be a comfortable viewing experience for fans, their families and the players and if people are finding comments offensive that are being yelled there isn't a lot the team can do besides kick the guy out.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 02:52:42 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
My guess would be the fan was aggravated by the way the game was going, wanted to take out his frustration on Mills and decided that the statement he made was how he was going to get his attention. Dumb, it crossed a line, he should be banned for a time I agree.  Is the fan an idiot?  Probably.  But should everyone be freaking out about racism?  That's where I stop.

If the guy hates people with dark skin why is he at an NBA game to begin with?  So to me a forever ban would be an overreaction.

Worse to me was seeing Lebron get doused with a beer at the garden a couple years back.  That's physically trying to do something to a player.

Agree. We have the ability to measure degrees of harm. This Patty Mills instance is low on the spectrum, in my opinion, but still isn't right. The fan shouldn't have focused on Mills' looks, but I've heard way worse things at a Celtics game that went relatively unnoticed.

Yes, we are moving towards more political correctness, but I think this is a good thing, in general. People should be polite in public. Rude people occasionally deserve a punch in the nose, but our society doesn't allow for this either.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I don't think you would get warned for anything you said in this post. Regarding the "racial joke" here we probably don't have enough information.

Did the fan actually think the guy Patty is from Jamaica or is saying he looks Jamaican just because of his haircut? The fact that Patty is actually Australian adds a whole different layer to this because I think if the guy said "Australia called they need someone to wrangle their kangeroos" I doubt he would be banned for it.
In that vein if someone yelled out "Hey Tony Parker go drink some Bordeaux and eat a baguette cause you are waaashed up" would people think it was inappropriate?

That being said, the NBA wants it to be a comfortable viewing experience for fans, their families and the players and if people are finding comments offensive that are being yelled there isn't a lot the team can do besides kick the guy out.

It's just the SJW world we live in. The Left is like sharks swimming around just looking for "racism" and punishing people for thought crimes. IT never ends..

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 03:09:12 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I don't think it's racist. I think it's pretty ignorant and bigoted but not racist. Either way I think the appropriate action was taken.