Author Topic: Lebron upset with refs  (Read 2965 times)

Lebron upset with refs
« on: February 26, 2018, 02:26:17 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22580038/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-referees-falling-sexy-allure-shooters

He says he doesn't get to the free throw line because "chicks dig the long ball" and the league only protects shooters now. Thoughts?

Re: Lebron upset with refs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 02:29:19 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22580038/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-referees-falling-sexy-allure-shooters

He says he doesn't get to the free throw line because "chicks dig the long ball" and the league only protects shooters now. Thoughts?

He’s mad he lost. This is the point in the season where I am done with the non-Celtic storylines, especially LeBron.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:43:03 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I read a tweet somewhere that says Lebron takes the 2nd most restricted area shot attempts in the league, but is 12th in free throw attempts. The only person ahead of him in RA shot attempts (Giannis), has 139 more free throw attempts than Lebron.

Of course there's a lot factors that go into stats like that, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Do I think he gets fouled more than his free throw numbers indicate? Maybe, but it's hard to tell when he complains about everything. Which is a reason why I feel like refs won't adjust their officiating.

Also, LeBron gets a lot of leeway from the refs as is so unless he wants to get called for 4 travels a game in exchange for an extra 2 or 3 free throw attempts then maybe he should just let things slide.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 04:12:44 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I read a tweet somewhere that says Lebron takes the 2nd most restricted area shot attempts in the league, but is 12th in free throw attempts. The only person ahead of him in RA shot attempts (Giannis), has 139 more free throw attempts than Lebron.

Of course there's a lot factors that go into stats like that, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Do I think he gets fouled more than his free throw numbers indicate? Maybe, but it's hard to tell when he complains about everything. Which is a reason why I feel like refs won't adjust their officiating.

Also, LeBron gets a lot of leeway from the refs as is so unless he wants to get called for 4 travels a game in exchange for an extra 2 or 3 free throw attempts then maybe he should just let things slide.

Lebron doesn’t get called for fouls either. Let’s not forget that!

- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 04:16:53 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Doesn’t matter now.

When the playoffs begin you can’t be in the same zip code as him without a foul called.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 05:50:57 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Doesn’t matter now.

When the playoffs begin you can’t be in the same zip code as him without a foul called.

To be fair, Lebron never really struck me as a guy who constantly got superstar calls the way Wade did. If anything, he got superstar non-calls. He doesn’t get called for travels or fouls. What’s amazing is, it seems like neither does his team!
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 06:07:57 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
1. They never call fouls on him.
2. He walks half the time he's going to the rim and they don't call that too.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 06:11:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lebron is like Prime Shaq: he plays through contact so well that a lot of fouls aren’t called. I hate defending the guy, but for the league’s best player he doesn’t get the calls that some others do.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hate defending the guy, but for the league’s best player he doesn’t get the calls that some others do.

And yet he is eighth in all time free throw attempts with 9,108.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fta_career.html

I think the opposite is true, with all due respect, when he is shooting poorly the league seems to pad his stats with Free Throw Attempts.  That is enough to put him in top 8 all time leaders so he gets plenty of calls and benefits more from no calls on travels and goal tends than anyone I have seen.

He averages 8.1 FTA attempts per game for his career.   This year it is a little down to 6 FTAs.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html

He is a spoiled brat when it comes to the officials.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 08:13:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hate defending the guy, but for the league’s best player he doesn’t get the calls that some others do.

I think the opposite is true, with all due respect, when he is shooting poorly the league seems to pad his stats with Free Throw Attempts.  That is enough to put him in top 8 all time leaders so he gets plenty of calls and benefits more from no calls on travels and goal tends than anyone I have seen.

He averages 8.1 FTA attempts per game for his career.   This year it is a little down to 6 FTAs.

8th all time, but he’s 7th all-time in scoring, 10th all-time in FGAs and he drives a lot. That doesn’t seem incongruent to me.  He’s 14th all-time in FTAs per game.

Lebron is 14th in the NBA in FTAs per game this season. The guy plays through uncalled contact a lot, especially given his status.  If he was being coddled he’d be much higher.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

He is 9th all time in field goal attempts and 7th all time in field goal makes though.  So his FT attempts are in line with his FG attempts. 

Lebron gets hit pretty much every time he drives to the hole.  They don't call it every time.  It is kind of like holding in the NFL.  They could call it every play, but they only call the more egregious ones.

I think yesterday the issue for Lebron was that San Antonio only had 3 fouls called on it in the second half.  I didn't watch the game, but that just seems really low.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 08:19:53 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
reason 998,000 I can't stand this overrated piece of trash - they changed the rules to make this guy better. when they changed the rules for Jordan and shaq they tried to make them less dominant.

and now he's complaining about the refs...

I almost wish the NBA would just come out before the season starts and say "hey whatever team Lebron is on is the champion". this way this instant gratification clown is happy and we could enjoy the playoffs.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I haven't seen any recent games that weren't against the Celtics, but in general LeBron gets away with travels and goaltends and fouls and so does whomever he is playing against.

The NBA lets him get away with whatever he wants but they don't protect him from anyone else either.

I'm pretty sure no athlete, coach, or fan has a favorable view of the officials regardless of team or sport. I've never met anyone who never got upset with them at one point or another.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 09:24:26 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

8th all time, but he’s 7th all-time in scoring, 10th all-time in FGAs and he drives a lot. That doesn’t seem incongruent to me.  He’s 14th all-time in FTAs per game.

Lebron is 14th in the NBA in FTAs per game this season. The guy plays through uncalled contact a lot, especially given his status.  If he was being coddled he’d be much higher.

Well, he also plays very physical defense (high MPG as well) but rarely gets into foul trouble.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
His free throws are down this year, but its not uncommon for that to happen as a first indication that a player is losing his athleticism.