Author Topic: The only move LeBron can make without changing his narrative  (Read 3672 times)

Re: The only move LeBron can make without changing his narrative
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Wilt Chamberlain played for 3 different teams. To think he or Shaq aren't all-time greats, like top 5 to 10 all-time great, just because they played for more than 2 teams is silly.

Yeah, I think Lebron’s legacy is secure.
He is securely in the top 5 all time, but he could still get to #1

It’s going to be really hard to be #1 in the eyes of the public. He’d need to win at least two more rings, and probably more.
Lebron right now is 7th all time in points scored, 11th all time in assists, 18th all time in steals, and 61st all time in rebounds.  He could reasonably finish as the all time leading scorer, top 5 in assists, top 10 in steals, and top 25 in rebounds (I don't know if he gets to all of those, but they are all doable).  If he adds another couple of titles, it would be hard not to call him #1.  But he has to add the titles when he is still the team's best player or at least a near equal.  He can't just be a tag along player at the end of his career.  You give him the stats, 5 titles with at least 5 other finals appearances, and I don't see how most wouldn't call him #1 all time. 

That is why I don't see him going to the Lakers.  They just aren't close enough to winning titles, which is the only thing that can change James' place on the all time list.  And when you hear James talking about chasing the ghost in Chicago and things like that, you know he clearly has his place in history on his mind. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 09:17:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wilt Chamberlain played for 3 different teams. To think he or Shaq aren't all-time greats, like top 5 to 10 all-time great, just because they played for more than 2 teams is silly.

It’s going to be really hard to be #1 in the eyes of the public. He’d need to win at least two more rings, and probably more.
Lebron right now is 7th all time in points scored, 11th all time in assists, 18th all time in steals, and 61st all time in rebounds.  He could reasonably finish as the all time leading scorer, top 5 in assists, top 10 in steals, and top 25 in rebounds (I don't know if he gets to all of those, but they are all doable).  If he adds another couple of titles, it would be hard not to call him #1.  But he has to add the titles when he is still the team's best player or at least a near equal.  He can't just be a tag along player at the end of his career.  You give him the stats, 5 titles with at least 5 other finals appearances, and I don't see how most wouldn't call him #1 all time. 

That is why I don't see him going to the Lakers.  They just aren't close enough to winning titles, which is the only thing that can change James' place on the all time list.  And when you hear James talking about chasing the ghost in Chicago and things like that, you know he clearly has his place in history on his mind.

#1 all-time scorer + 5 rings definitely makes a compelling argument.  Of course, Kareem is the all-time leading scorer, 6-time MVP and 6-time champion (although two came with him as a secondary player). Nobody gives him much consideration for GOAT.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 09:20:46 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I actually disagree with the OP, but for yet a different reason.

LeBron will never surpass Jordan for number of rings.  What he CAN do that would be unique is to win rings with 3 (or more!) different teams.  This is an achievable goal and would solidify his legacy and keep him in the GOAT conversation for a long time.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 12:33:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
What about Lebron going to the Sixers? He could win a couple of more rings as the main guy, with Embiid and Simmons taking that role over later when he can continue to win rings as a supporting player as he gets to age 40?

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
What about Lebron going to the Sixers? He could win a couple of more rings as the main guy, with Embiid and Simmons taking that role over later when he can continue to win rings as a supporting player as he gets to age 40?

Embiid and Simmons are awesome players and great to watch. They both still definitely have their maddening turnovers and youthful moments. Simmons still has to really develop his shooting a bit to reach that next level. If they were about two years further along I think this would make a lot more sense. If Lebron went there now I think their youth would be very frustrating for him and he would still be an underdog to the warriors in the finals. If he really only cares about wins he should go to the rockets or go play with the spurs for pops (I think he could also win with the bucks but it doesn't seem possible).

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 12:58:45 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I don't believe LeBron can/will catch Jordan as the perceived GOAT, but San Antonio would be a great option if he is willing to surrender himself to a real system and culture.  My biggest knock against LeBron is his controlling nature and refusal to adapt to the conditions around him. 

Imagine if he went to San Antonio and dethroned the Warriors by playing within Pops system.  There's no doubt that it would significantly add to his legacy. 

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Cleveland makes it back to finals seems likely LBJ stays put provided they package Nets pick for a stud.

If they don’t, Philly may be his destination but seems a bad fit, and would likely diminish Simmons’ growth and value. Not sure Philly wants that. Not to mention neg impact on Fultz resurrection.

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 01:03:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

#1 all-time scorer + 5 rings definitely makes a compelling argument.  Of course, Kareem is the all-time leading scorer, 6-time MVP and 6-time champion (although two came with him as a secondary player). Nobody gives him much consideration for GOAT.

Because 4 of his championships earned when he wasn’t their best player, and wasn’t on the court when they won a 5th in ‘80.

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Because 4 of his championships earned when he wasn’t their best player, and wasn’t on the court when they won a 5th in ‘80.

He was leading playoff scorer on his team for four of the championships, and averaged 19.2 points in the playoffs in a fifth. It’s really only his last title that he was a role player for.

As for 1980, he “wasn’t on the floor” for the clincher, but he led his team to three wins, averaging 33.4 points in the Finals.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

He was leading playoff scorer on his team for four of the championships, and averaged 19.2 points in the playoffs in a fifth. It’s really only his last title that he was a role player for.

As for 1980, he “wasn’t on the floor” for the clincher, but he led his team to three wins, averaging 33.4 points in the Finals.

I agree with Roy. I think Kareem has always been underrated for his place in the sport (as is Russell). He was also way ahead of the curve on some things that are a lot more common today in terms of understanding how to take care of his body and promote longevity. He was into yoga before it was on every street corner.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 02:34:47 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
If Cleveland makes it back to finals seems likely LBJ stays put provided they package Nets pick for a stud.

If they don’t, Philly may be his destination but seems a bad fit, and would likely diminish Simmons’ growth and value. Not sure Philly wants that. Not to mention neg impact on Fultz resurrection.

If Lebron goes to Philly, Ben simmons, Fultz, and something something get shipped out for AD or Kawhi or some veteran stud to be his running mate.  Book it.

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wilt isn't an all time great because he is the Peyton Manning to Russell's Brady. Other than that he's pretty good.
[/qgood.That's ridiculous.
Dr. J's one NBA ring and two ABA rings are more impressive than Wilt's 2 rings. 

Wilt is one of the only players in sports history whose entire career largely was defined by being dominated by another player, yet somehow amazingly gets into the same conversation as players who did the dominating. Makes no sense whatsoever. 

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 09:32:18 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Wilt isn't an all time great because he is the Peyton Manning to Russell's Brady. Other than that he's pretty good.

Wilt is one of the only players in sports history whose entire career largely was defined by being dominated by another player, yet somehow amazingly gets into the same conversation as players who did the dominating. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Pretty sure Wilt's career is not defined by his team's relative lack of success by anyone but pure green Celtics fans.

He did AVERAGE 30/23 for his career. 4x MVP.  '72 Finals MVP. Scored 100.

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 10:05:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Pretty sure Wilt's career is not defined by his team's relative lack of success by anyone but pure green Celtics fans.

He did AVERAGE 30/23 for his career. 4x MVP.  '72 Finals MVP. Scored 100.
whoop de darn doo...and thank you for calling me a pure green Celtics fan

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 10:15:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Kareem suffers from a couple of things.  First, he played with Magic and didn't win with the Lakers until Magic got there.  That was Magic's team, not Kareem's even with a near decade of excellence before Magic showed up.  Second, that near decade of excellence was the 70's, which is widely regarded as the weakest decade in NBA history in a large part because of the ABA, but also because it lacked stars and all time greats (aside from Kareem).  Also, as an aside, I'd like to think him converting and changing his name doesn't play a role, but it probably affected him some at the time which has to still linger today.  Kareem is an all timer, and he is underrated a bit, but I don't think many of the experts have him in the top 5, and I don't think they are all wrong.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip