Author Topic: Appreciating Smart  (Read 3589 times)

Re: Appreciating Smart
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Was interesting to read quotes from Smart about the team's success since the break.

“You have Kyrie doing what Kyrie does,” Smart said. “With me playing on the ball, and him playing off the ball, it takes out another defender. We know exactly how they’re going to play Kyrie. With me on the ball, I’m a great passer and a great playmaker. What a way to have it with our best player and our best scorer off the ball, and your best playmaker finding him.”

He's right that that's an interesting set. But calling himself the best playmaker on the Cs? When a player starts talking about himself in public this way I get a little concerned. What do his teammates think of this, and why would he say it? Surprised me a little. He seems to have embraced his sixth man role, but maybe it still grinds on him.

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Was interesting to read quotes from Smart about the team's success since the break.

“You have Kyrie doing what Kyrie does,” Smart said. “With me playing on the ball, and him playing off the ball, it takes out another defender. We know exactly how they’re going to play Kyrie. With me on the ball, I’m a great passer and a great playmaker. What a way to have it with our best player and our best scorer off the ball, and your best playmaker finding him.”

He's right that that's an interesting set. But calling himself the best playmaker on the Cs? When a player starts talking about himself in public this way I get a little concerned. What do his teammates think of this, and why would he say it? Surprised me a little. He seems to have embraced his sixth man role, but maybe it still grinds on him.

I think he is right. He has better vision at this point in CBS system than Irving. Irving will in the long run, but when he talks about "play-making," he is talking about setting up teammates.

The "on-ball" thing I think is talking about a current trend where you take your worst shooter and give him the ball, forcing his defender to engage on defense the whole possession. By doing that, there is no place for your worst defender to hide or be lazy.

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 01:26:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Maybe he was talking about Horford?

Al is this team's best playmaker.

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 01:42:11 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Maybe he was talking about Horford?

Al is this team's best playmaker.

25% of this board will tell you otherwise and tell you Al's a bum.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I hear you, but having Marcus engage in delusions about his playmaking is far preferable to delusions about his shooting.   Let him consider himself an elite playmaker, defender, energy-guy all day long.  He'll shoot less.

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As far as the topic of the thread, I do appreciate Smart for what he brings to the team.  His elite defense, will to make the hustle plays, and overall toughness are much needed traits.

I don't even mind when he has the ball in his hands, I just wish he had better shot selection.  When he focuses on being more of the playmaker he seems to envision himself as, he definitely can have a positive impact on the offense.  It's when he starts feeling himself, and taking absurd amounts of threes early in the shot clock that I start to lose my patience with him.

EDIT:  Basically what Neurotic Guy said above.