Author Topic: YIKES! Smart's Injury Actually Was Close To Being Season-Ending  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/Scott_Souza/status/966468117076602887?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Scott Souza‏
@Scott_Souza

#Celtics guard Marcus Smart said about a 3-inch shard of glass was pulled out of his hand by doctors after he punched picture frame. Said it was between tendons. If had clipped one, told he would have needed season-ending surgery. Considers himself very fortunate.

Forsberg and others have reported similar in the past few hours.

Ugh, the thought about the glass shard and pulling it out.. makes me sick.

But apparently if it clipped/hit a tendon, that could have been it for Smart this season  :o

Close call. Not just for our season right now, but I'd assume it would have had a ton of implications on Smart's next contract as well, since he hits FA this summer.

Either way, glad he was fortunate and am happy he's getting healthy. Now we need him to come back and help us with getting that defense together and energizing this team again with his hustle/intensity.

We could certainly use some "winning plays" from him as well.

Despite what numerous posters say here, we MISSED Marcus Smart, and I for one am ecstatic that he's coming back.  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: YIKES! Smart's Injury Actually Was Close To Being Season-Ending
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 09:37:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Marcus needs to invest in a punching bag (even if there’s a legitimate question about whether he’d shoot better with a severed tendon, haha).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:40:19 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I’m lazy... any word on his return date?

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:52:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
cleared to return Friday
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

He's cleared to practice and will play Friday.

Can't wait to see him back.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:16:46 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Thanks guys. Here’s hoping we find an identity these last 21 games with Marcus back in the fold.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 10:17:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Stupid. He really let his teammates, coaches and team down. He's lucky. Very lucky.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:01:17 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I hope he learns his lesson and i think he does, and i'm very happy he's back, but at the same time, i hope this tanks his value in the FA market because i do want him back...just not at a over inflated price lol

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 11:12:20 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I've done dumber things at his age but no one ever cared if I missed 2 weeks of work.
ok fine

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:22:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've done dumber things at his age but no one ever cared if I missed 2 weeks of work.
Little different when you're making $5 million a year and it effects a multi-billion dollar franchise in a negative way.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 12:21:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Thanks guys. Here’s hoping we find an identity these last 21 games with Marcus back in the fold.

Dang I just realized the regular season is actually close to ending  :o

Just 21 games left, or 19 after this week.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 12:25:06 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

He's cleared to practice and will play Friday.

Can't wait to see him back.

It will be interesting to see how the team plays.  If they play better will it be because they are rested or is Marcus really that important to this team.  If they play much better with Marcus then it will be very hard for the C's not to resign him.  But does resigning him mean Rozier is gone or with the emergence of Rozier will he be a candidate to be traded.  I will definitely be paying close attention down the stretch.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 08:05:40 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Glad he wasn't seriously hurt.  But that was just a dumb, knuckle headed move.  I'm pretty sure this will deter him from punching picture frames in the future but it shows a lack of emotional maturity that I find disturbing.  Especially for a guy on the brink of restricted free agency.

Marcus offensive numbers are already bad, but doing things like this lowers his value imo for a team who might have thought of offering more salary than he deserves to lure him away from Boston.  I'm hoping we can sign Marcus to an Avery Bradley level extension for 3-4 years.  If he proves himself, in the next 3-4 years, he will still be in his prime and ready for his next big contract.

Bradley got a 4 year/32m dollar deal at the time.  Given inflation, I expect something like 4/40m for Smart.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 10:57:19 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Glad he wasn't seriously hurt.  But that was just a dumb, knuckle headed move.  I'm pretty sure this will deter him from punching picture frames in the future but it shows a lack of emotional maturity that I find disturbing.  Especially for a guy on the brink of restricted free agency.

Marcus offensive numbers are already bad, but doing things like this lowers his value imo for a team who might have thought of offering more salary than he deserves to lure him away from Boston.  I'm hoping we can sign Marcus to an Avery Bradley level extension for 3-4 years.  If he proves himself, in the next 3-4 years, he will still be in his prime and ready for his next big contract.

Bradley got a 4 year/32m dollar deal at the time.  Given inflation, I expect something like 4/40m for Smart.

If we keep Smart at 4/40M in this day and age with the market the way it is, I'll be ecstatic.