Author Topic: Cuban fined 600k for tanking talk  (Read 5249 times)

Re: Cuban fined 600k for tanking talk
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
$600k is a tax write off. They should drop Dallas down to the last pick in the lottery.

I agree that a fine is not sufficient.  This is one of the 30 owners openly admitting mid-way through the season that he wants to lose.  That is atrocious for a business. Punishment should definitely impact his lottery chances.

Is it?

Do you think Mavs fans are so dense that they didn't realize their team was going to lose lots more games to end the season before Cuban said something on NBA TV?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2018, 03:07:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
$600k is a tax write off. They should drop Dallas down to the last pick in the lottery.

I agree that a fine is not sufficient.  This is one of the 30 owners openly admitting mid-way through the season that he wants to lose.  That is atrocious for a business. Punishment should definitely impact his lottery chances.

Is it?

Do you think Mavs fans are so dense that they didn't realize their team was going to lose lots more games to end the season before Cuban said something on NBA TV?
And the reality is someone has to lose.  There is only 1 winner and 1 loser from every game.  There is no real difference between Dallas and Brooklyn (well except Brooklyn has played 2 more games going 1-1 in those games).  I mean I think we all agree Brooklyn isn't tanking while Dallas is, yet they are both awful, so what is the difference.

Now sure if Cuban told the Mavs players to not try and to lose on purpose, then that is an issue, but Cuban obviously would never do that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2018, 03:22:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
From a business perspective, I think it's fair to say that fielding a roster devoid of anybody exciting -- i.e. what the Sixers did for several years -- is a lot worse than publicly acknowledging that your old and injury-prone team will probably be best-served by packing it in for a good draft pick in June.

To put it another way, the Sixers said a lot more about their intentions to lose, in a much more blatant way, from the start of each season, than Marc Cuban has ever done, without ever putting it into an explicit statement.

In either case, though, I think you can also argue that tanking is actually a good plan from a fan-interest perspective, because selling your fanbase on exciting draft prospects is a lot easier than getting them jazzed up about watching a bunch of journeymen and past-their-prime stars try to win enough games to earn the privilege of being swept in the 1st round.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2018, 04:47:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
From a business perspective, I think it's fair to say that fielding a roster devoid of anybody exciting -- i.e. what the Sixers did for several years -- is a lot worse than publicly acknowledging that your old and injury-prone team will probably be best-served by packing it in for a good draft pick in June.

To put it another way, the Sixers said a lot more about their intentions to lose, in a much more blatant way, from the start of each season, than Marc Cuban has ever done, without ever putting it into an explicit statement.

In either case, though, I think you can also argue that tanking is actually a good plan from a fan-interest perspective, because selling your fanbase on exciting draft prospects is a lot easier than getting them jazzed up about watching a bunch of journeymen and past-their-prime stars try to win enough games to earn the privilege of being swept in the 1st round.
Were the Sixers really devoid of anyone exciting?  At least in comparison to the Mavs.  I mean even that 10 win team had 20 year old Okafor averaging 17.5/7 as a rookie, had 21 year old Noel pumping out 11/8 coming off of an incredible defensive performance as a rookie, had Covington just entering his prime, had McConnell and Holmes showing promise as rookies, and intriguing play from younger players like Stauskas, Grant, Smith.  I just don't see how that is less exciting than the Mavs and frankly I'd be way more excited about young guys then over the hill vets like Dirk, Barea, Harris, and Matthews.  Sure Dallas has Smith and Barnes, Ferrell, Powell, etc. aren't old, but are they exciting?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Were the Sixers really devoid of anyone exciting?  At least in comparison to the Mavs.  I mean even that 10 win team had 20 year old Okafor averaging 17.5/7 as a rookie, had 21 year old Noel pumping out 11/8 coming off of an incredible defensive performance as a rookie, had Covington just entering his prime, had McConnell and Holmes showing promise as rookies, and intriguing play from younger players like Stauskas, Grant, Smith.  I just don't see how that is less exciting than the Mavs and frankly I'd be way more excited about young guys then over the hill vets like Dirk, Barea, Harris, and Matthews.  Sure Dallas has Smith and Barnes, Ferrell, Powell, etc. aren't old, but are they exciting?

First of all, Dirk is beloved so he's always going to have some excitement factor with Mavs fans, as he should.  It's not like he's decrepit. 

Also the leaders in minutes played on that 10-win Sixers team were:

Hollis Thompson

Jerami Grant

Isaiah Canaan

Nerlens Noel

Rob Covington

Of those players, only one has since secured a regular starting gig in the NBA.  None of them averaged more than 13 points per game.

Even Jahlil Okafor wasn't inspiring too many folks that season despite his 17 points per game, what with his speeding and bar fights and terrible defense.

As I recall, most Sixers fans just seemed annoyed he wasn't Embiid.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I just don't see how that is less exciting than the Mavs and frankly I'd be way more excited about young guys then over the hill vets like Dirk, Barea, Harris, and Matthews.  Sure Dallas has Smith and Barnes, Ferrell, Powell, etc. aren't old, but are they exciting?

Casual fans aren't typically excited about watching young players with very little offensive ability try to grind out low scoring wins (they averaged 97 points per game).
- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2018, 06:21:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

First of all, Dirk is beloved so he's always going to have some excitement factor with Mavs fans, as he should.  It's not like he's decrepit. 

Also the leaders in minutes played on that 10-win Sixers team were:

Hollis Thompson

Jerami Grant

Isaiah Canaan

Nerlens Noel

Rob Covington

Of those players, only one has since secured a regular starting gig in the NBA.  None of them averaged more than 13 points per game.

Even Jahlil Okafor wasn't inspiring too many folks that season despite his 17 points per game, what with his speeding and bar fights and terrible defense.

As I recall, most Sixers fans just seemed annoyed he wasn't Embiid.

Yea... one of the main reasons the NBA got involved was because so few people were interested in watching their roster they were killing teams at the gates. The owners of other teams said they were losing a home game because of it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400828392

If Nowitski was not playing I think this would be a bit different, but people do want to see a hall of famer even if he is fairly washed up.