Author Topic: Cuban fined 600k for tanking talk  (Read 5288 times)

Cuban fined 600k for tanking talk
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:32:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I thought Cuban would get fined but 600K.  WOW!! 

I have no problem with teams tanking but to have a dinner with your players and tell them that losing is the best option is a bridge too far.  It is funny to see him try to justify his tanking when he was so critical of the Sixers tanking. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22532215/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-owner-fined-600000-tanking-comments

Re: Cuban fined 600k for tanking talk
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 06:58:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Hypocritical until they fine when 76ers for “trust the process.”

What is the process? Someone tell me. If it involves tanking for a few years. Fine the 76ers and take their next few years draft picks 

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:07:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hypocritical until they fine when 76ers for “trust the process.”

What is the process? Someone tell me. If it involves tanking for a few years. Fine the 76ers and take their next few years draft picks
Hinkie didn't talk about tanking and he didn't tell his players that losing was the best option. 

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 07:10:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
$600k is a tax write off. They should drop Dallas down to the last pick in the lottery.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What he said was true.  If the NBA and the other owners don't like it, they could go ahead and change the rules.  Even the changes going into effect next year don't change the fact that a team in Dallas's position would be better off losing every single game.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:41:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
What he said was true.  If the NBA and the other owners don't like it, they could go ahead and change the rules.  Even the changes going into effect next year don't change the fact that a team in Dallas's position would be better off losing every single game.

Yeah. I understand the fine but it's a shame someone gets fined, not just for telling the truth but for telling a truth that everybody is already fully aware of.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 08:24:23 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Yeah. I understand the fine but it's a shame someone gets fined, not just for telling the truth but for telling a truth that everybody is already fully aware of.

Agreed.  Relatedly, Cuban has been a great addition to Shark Tank.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This is nothing compared to what the fallout might be from the sexual harassment accusations against the Mavs front office, brought to light in a recent SI article.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I would imagine Cuban was warned after he opening talked about tanking last year after the Mavs were eliminated.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 10:58:37 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
This is nothing compared to what the fallout might be from the sexual harassment accusations against the Mavs front office, brought to light in a recent SI article.

He should be ousted for this.  Now we may know why he was so against Sterling getting ousted.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I agree every semi informed NBA fan understands the value in tanking when your team isn't even a playoff contender let alone a championship contender. Fining an owner for stating the obvious is ridiculous. Its on the same level as the NBA trying to control tampering. Its all happening the NBA offices just don't want to hear about it.

This is in no way a long thought out plan but along with more drastic lottery reform the league should consider some type of revenue sharing system tied to a teams wins. Maybe take a percentage of revenue sharing away from any franchise with a sub .320 winning percentage? Or perhaps make it a lose of a percentage of revenue sharing for any team with consecutive sub .320% seasons.

The owners will never agree to it but it would use economics to fight the tank epidemic.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 11:33:38 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
$600k is a tax write off. They should drop Dallas down to the last pick in the lottery.

Who exactly is hurt by Cuban openly stating this?

Who is going to Mavs games in March thinking the team is trying to win, or even entertain?

It is within the league's power to change the incentives if they want teams to focus on winning in the second half of seasons in which they have no hope of making the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 11:40:19 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Tanking is borderline point shaving. I'm surprised wise guys haven't hit up the players that play for such teams and have no problem openly sucking.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This fine is a mockery. Its following the letter of the law perhaps, but not the spirit.

The Hawks, Suns, Kings, Magic, Grizzles, Bulls, and Knicks are currently in tank mode. There may not have been any official memos, but starting g-league players and holding out legit NBA players with fake injuries may as well be a memo.

The Sixers did far more to damage the competitiveness of the NBA than the Mavs. The Mavs have tried to do things the right way. They try to sign upside players (Barnes, Jordan, Matthews), they develop rotational talent in house (Barea, Curry, Kleiber, Powell, etc.), and they tried to win games. Where did it get them?

They've been a middle-of-the-pack playoff team in the West without a real shot at the championship for the last 7 years.

Meanwhile, in the same time, the Sixers had solid starting talent (Holliday, Iggy, Vucevic, Williams, and Young) and were also a middle-of-the-pack playoff team -- with their youth, they were on the rise. After the 2011-2012 season, they had 5 straight losing seasons, largely as part of the process.

Its the height of hypocrisy to follow the letter of the law with the Mavs while promoting the Sixers as one of the most exciting products in the NBA.

Still, if Cuban had to pay 600k to get a top 5 draft pick this year, I'm sure he would. If they pick right, it could set the franchise up for the next two decades.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Agreed.  Who cares.  It's evident when a team tanks.  The only difference is they are not open about it.  Cuban spoke honestly and it was the truth.  You would think that he knows better by know what he can and can't say but I don't think he really cares at this point.  Teams tank to get top picks.  Realistically there are 1-2 possibly 3 franchise type players in each draft depending on the draft.  A lot of drafts don't have any franchise types but the statistics go up when you can secure a top 5 pick.  Of course there will always be players in each draft that defy the logic but getting a top 5 pick helps a team in their rebuild.