Author Topic: GMs share thoughts on Hinkie  (Read 1684 times)

GMs share thoughts on Hinkie
« on: February 21, 2018, 03:52:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Thought this article may be interesting to some given we debated it for many hours over the years.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759830-there-will-never-be-another-process-or-a-gm-job-for-sam-hinkie

A few points, the fellow GMs do really lean towards painting him in a negative light for his interactions with them and agents. It is kind of insinuated that Porzingas didn't work out for him because of his style/interactions with players, and interestingly thrown in that they didn't have access to Okafor's medical records (can someone explain how this is possible).

Overall, it seems like he is a really smart dude and is probably out of the league because of his people skills and not playing within the system enough.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:09:09 PM by Donoghus »

Re: GMs share thoughts on Hinkie
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
nothing really all that new there.  I would have been very interested to see what Hinkie could have done once he actually entered into the team building phase. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
This part is pretty [dang]ing of his ways.   Gotta learn to play the game and part of the game is relationships with agents & other teams. Like it or not.

Hinkie also aggravated agents by introducing a novel approach to contracts for second-round picks and free agents—multiyear, partially guaranteed deals. The idea from Hinkie's end was to trade the allure of longer-term security for fringe players while keeping the risk factor for the team manageable.

At times, that hurt Hinkie and the 76ers with agents miffed by this new negotiating ploy. Some paid him back by refusing to share information with him or provide access to their players, no matter where they were expected to fall in the draft. Porzingis' refusal to visit or work out for Philly is one example; league sources say Hinkie also didn't have full access to Okafor's medical records prior to drafting him.

"The environment was so toxic that agents, schools and teams wanted nothing to do with him," the second Western Conference GM said.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:01:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My impression is that Hinkie was excellent at the team building strategy and squeezing maximum value from transactions, but he really needed an Assistant GM to handle the agents, personalities, etc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 05:33:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
This part is pretty [dang]ing of his ways.   Gotta learn to play the game and part of the game is relationships with agents & other teams. Like it or not.

Hinkie also aggravated agents by introducing a novel approach to contracts for second-round picks and free agents—multiyear, partially guaranteed deals. The idea from Hinkie's end was to trade the allure of longer-term security for fringe players while keeping the risk factor for the team manageable.

At times, that hurt Hinkie and the 76ers with agents miffed by this new negotiating ploy. Some paid him back by refusing to share information with him or provide access to their players, no matter where they were expected to fall in the draft. Porzingis' refusal to visit or work out for Philly is one example; league sources say Hinkie also didn't have full access to Okafor's medical records prior to drafting him.

"The environment was so toxic that agents, schools and teams wanted nothing to do with him," the second Western Conference GM said.

This is the part that I was confused by. Can players really hide medical records from teams just cause they don't like their ownership? I had not heard of that before. Are they personal records, or are there things that have to be disclosed because of the draft? There has to be some element of requirement because otherwise players could hide a serious condition until after they were drafted...?

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Pretty crappy story but its bleacher report so what can you expect.  Some sour grapes from a couple anonymous GMs and execs when The Process is starting to bear fruit.   

The Sixers absolutely needed to lose as much as they did and really needed to lose more.  They only finished with the worst record and the #1 pick the year they drafted Simmons. 

The whole point of The Process was that you can't expect to draft that much better than other teams so you needed to improve the quality and quantity of your picks.  To bring up Gobert picked 27th when the Sixers picked 11th and Turner and Booker picked 11th and 13th when the Sixers picked 3rd is nonsense.  I'd like to see the draft records of these anonymous GMs.   

Porzingis didn't work out for the Sixers because he wanted to play in New York not because of Hinkie.  He was also considered a project.  He also would have been yet another big drafted just like Okafor. 

Embiid, Simmons, Saric and Covington plus a few backups plus plenty of cap space and no bad contracts (except Bayless who is on Colangelo).  That's pretty good for 3 years of the process.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

This is the part that I was confused by. Can players really hide medical records from teams just cause they don't like their ownership? I had not heard of that before. Are they personal records, or are there things that have to be disclosed because of the draft? There has to be some element of requirement because otherwise players could hide a serious condition until after they were drafted...?
Josh Jackson didn't work out for us but I also seem to recall him withholding some medical records. 

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 06:13:35 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
TP thanks nice article

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Pretty crappy story but its bleacher report so what can you expect.  Some sour grapes from a couple anonymous GMs and execs when The Process is starting to bear fruit.   

The Sixers absolutely needed to lose as much as they did and really needed to lose more.  They only finished with the worst record and the #1 pick the year they drafted Simmons. 

The whole point of The Process was that you can't expect to draft that much better than other teams so you needed to improve the quality and quantity of your picks.  To bring up Gobert picked 27th when the Sixers picked 11th and Turner and Booker picked 11th and 13th when the Sixers picked 3rd is nonsense.  I'd like to see the draft records of these anonymous GMs.   

Porzingis didn't work out for the Sixers because he wanted to play in New York not because of Hinkie.  He was also considered a project.  He also would have been yet another big drafted just like Okafor. 

Embiid, Simmons, Saric and Covington plus a few backups plus plenty of cap space and no bad contracts (except Bayless who is on Colangelo).  That's pretty good for 3 years of the process.

I'm kind of confused why you believe GMs that still have jobs would have sour grapes towards hinkie when they still have their jobs and he was forced out of league. It would make a lot more sense for hinkie to be the sour one right?

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 07:14:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I'm kind of confused why you believe GMs that still have jobs would have sour grapes towards hinkie when they still have their jobs and he was forced out of league. It would make a lot more sense for hinkie to be the sour one right?
sour grapes - used to refer to an attitude in which someone adopts a negative attitude to something because they cannot have it themselves:

Plenty of GMs would try what Hinkie did if they had the ownership backing. 

Edit - Its also pretty gutless for them to cut Hinkie down anonymously. 

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

sour grapes - used to refer to an attitude in which someone adopts a negative attitude to something because they cannot have it themselves:

This still isn't making much sense the way you are wording it here. They have a job (and very desirable jobs at that). He doesn't. This article also suggests he would be very unlikely to be given a GM job again in the future. And you are suggesting that they have sour grapes towards Hinkie because when he did actually have a job, he had more freedom in it than they do in their actual current role? On top of that, they have remained upset for more than a year after he lost his job even though they are still getting paid and running a team? That sounds like a pretty big stretch.

To put this in a bigger perspective, I had a coworker that was super casual about everything a few years ago at my job. He came in at 10am and did things very leisurely and did a lot less work than I did while also receiving very similar pay and no punishment. It was very frustrating for a while (because at times it created needless extra work for me) He eventually got worse reviews than I did though and then moved out of the company. I can't imagine for the life of me being upset at this guy a year or more later while I am still working cause he had it good at some point in the past.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:29:34 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

This still isn't making much sense the way you are wording it here. They have a job (and very desirable jobs at that). He doesn't. This article also suggests he would be very unlikely to be given a GM job again in the future. And you are suggesting that they have sour grapes towards Hinkie because when he did actually have a job, he had more freedom in it than they do in their actual current role? On top of that, they have remained upset for more than a year after he lost his job even though they are still getting paid and running a team? That sounds like a pretty big stretch.

To put this in a bigger perspective, I had a coworker that was super casual about everything a few years ago at my job. He came in at 10am and did things very leisurely and did a lot less work than I did while also receiving very similar pay and no punishment. It was very frustrating for a while (because at times it created needless extra work for me) He eventually got worse reviews than I did though and then moved out of the company. I can't imagine for the life of me being upset at this guy a year or more later while I am still working cause he had it good at some point in the past.
I can't imagine putting much worth in quotes from anonymous GMs.  It could be Presti or it could be Vlade. 

And Ric Bucher is a Process hater.  Here's what he tweeted on 21 Nov 2015.
I'm ready to Trust The Process. The Knicks' process. Inducing young talent to lose year after year isn't a process, it's negligence.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 12:23:01 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I can't imagine putting much worth in quotes from anonymous GMs.  It could be Presti or it could be Vlade. 

And Ric Bucher is a Process hater.  Here's what he tweeted on 21 Nov 2015.
I'm ready to Trust The Process. The Knicks' process. Inducing young talent to lose year after year isn't a process, it's negligence.

If you want to say you think the author has an agenda or it may be someone that is incompetent like vlade that is one thing. I just hope you realize your "sour grapes" phrasing of gms jealous of the unemployed guy couldn't make less sense