Author Topic: So.. what is Nerlens Noel's market going to be like next year?  (Read 5442 times)

Re: So.. what is Nerlens Noel's market going to be like next year?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 02:43:41 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
I live in Arlington TX and watch the Mavs a lot.  Noel is not a good fit for the Celtics.  Carlisle who is a very good coach sat Nerlens because of his bad attitude and lack of commitment so I would not like to see him in a Celtics uniform at all.

MikeB   

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Nerlens agent was dumb for not taking the offer he had this past off season...
I have no idea what his market is but its not looking good if you ask me...just a dumb move.

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Noel market will be maybe room exception or mle. I can't see anyone running out to sign this guy

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2018, 04:31:21 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I wonder who will end up losing more money because of this past season, Noel or Isaiah? Their seasons could not have gone worst.

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 08:45:19 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I wonder who will end up losing more money because of this past season, Noel or Isaiah? Their seasons could not have gone worst.

This isn't even a contest if the season ended today. Noel was never going to get more than the 4 year, $17m/yr that the Mavs supposedly offered him. He'll sign for the MLE or somewhere close to it next year.

IT was looking for the max (or close to it). This injury, coupled with an awful season, will make it difficult to offer him more than the MLE next year. Thus this year cost IT somewhere between $10m and $12m per year more than Nerlens.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 12:07:53 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I'd consider signing him on a 1-year minimum, or maybe on a 2 or 3-year deal with non-guaranteed out years for part of the MLE at a little more, but I don't think he's worth much more than that.

Centers are going to have a really hard time finding money in free agency this season.  Between the lack cap space across the league, the number of teams already with tons of money/bad money tied up in Center contracts, and the large number of quality big men coming into the league in the 2018 draft I think some of the lesser free agents are going to get squeezed big time.

Brook Lopez, Baynes, Noel, Okafor, Alex Len, and Greg Monroe are all going to be UFA's looking for a piece of the same small pile of money this summer.  And that's before teams start cutting non-guaranteed guys, team/player options don't get exercised, etc.  Buyers market this year.

I think there is a reasonable chance Okafor has to go overseas or the g league. I remember when I used to be on an island on this board saying he was terrible. Got a few more people on the island now.

I see Okafor getting cheap deal from Nets, so they can continue to build up his value into a reliable sixth man.  Guy still can score, needs to keep working on defense and efficiency, should become valuable trade chip when they do decide to trade for a star.  That'd be my guess for what Nets' have in mind

As for Noel, this dude is absolutely toast.  If Rick Carlisle doesn't want anything to do with you, it is likely no one will take flyers.  Just look how far Rondo's value fell once Rick was done with him.

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I have no idea what his market is but its not looking good if you ask me...just a dumb move.
Pretty sure the agent doesn’t make the decisions. 

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd consider signing him on a 1-year minimum, or maybe on a 2 or 3-year deal with non-guaranteed out years for part of the MLE at a little more, but I don't think he's worth much more than that.

Centers are going to have a really hard time finding money in free agency this season.  Between the lack cap space across the league, the number of teams already with tons of money/bad money tied up in Center contracts, and the large number of quality big men coming into the league in the 2018 draft I think some of the lesser free agents are going to get squeezed big time.

Brook Lopez, Baynes, Noel, Okafor, Alex Len, and Greg Monroe are all going to be UFA's looking for a piece of the same small pile of money this summer.  And that's before teams start cutting non-guaranteed guys, team/player options don't get exercised, etc.  Buyers market this year.

I think there is a reasonable chance Okafor has to go overseas or the g league. I remember when I used to be on an island on this board saying he was terrible. Got a few more people on the island now.

I see Okafor getting cheap deal from Nets, so they can continue to build up his value into a reliable sixth man.  Guy still can score, needs to keep working on defense and efficiency, should become valuable trade chip when they do decide to trade for a star.  That'd be my guess for what Nets' have in mind

As for Noel, this dude is absolutely toast.  If Rick Carlisle doesn't want anything to do with you, it is likely no one will take flyers.  Just look how far Rondo's value fell once Rick was done with him.
The notion that Okafor could become a valuable trade chip for a star is a pipe dream.  His stint with the Nets has confirmed how bad of an NBA player he currently is.  He's been in the league 3 years and he doesn't appear to have improved at all.  Nets should focus on Jarret Allen. 

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 01:29:34 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

No, but they do have a lot of influence.

Personally, if I was an agent I would steer my clients as far away from Dallas as possible. After the shady way they treated Noel for declining their offer I wouldn't let my clients go there ever (not unless they wanted to severely overpay).

Carlisle may be a brilliant 'X's & O's' coach, but he is a stubborn child. And Mark Cuban is proving to be an even bigger jerk, and possibly guilty of allowing sexual harassment to happen in his work workplace.

This situation looks far worse for the Mavs than it does Noel, in my opinion. Benching a player and intentionally tanking his value out of spite for how contract negotiations played out is about as amateur as it gets.

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 01:37:28 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Celticsblog forum users will look over anything if the guy can do 1 thing we need.

Noel is a trash human being who just wants to get paid for being tall. I wouldn't let him near my lockerroom even if he came for free and didn't take a roster spot.

I like the type of guys the Celtics want. High character good workers multi-dimensional. Noel isn't even close to any of those things.

ok fine

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 01:44:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Noel is a trash human being

Woah, do you know Noel personally?

That's an awful critical judgment to pass on someone for simply wanting to be paid what they think is their fair value. Noel may very well be wrong about what his value is, but claiming that it makes him a "trash human being" is about the most disgusting thing I have heard in a long time.

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Rondo pretty much toasted his own value with his conduct in the playoffs. That's not on Rick. Been on one-year flyers ever since. Might've cost himself $100M. Now only shooters get paid, so his value has cut in half simply on account of deflation. Such players as he are out of fashion.

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

They don’t, but as somebody in a similar professional role: people almost always listen to professional advice if there’s a sense of trust.  The client can always decide not to follow advice, but if you’re dealing with competent professionals, those clients who decline advice will be wrong much more than they are right.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Noel is a trash human being

Woah, do you know Noel personally?

That's an awful critical judgment to pass on someone for simply wanting to be paid what they think is their fair value. Noel may very well be wrong about what his value is, but claiming that it makes him a "trash human being" is about the most disgusting thing I have heard in a long time.
I knew of Nerlens growing up. He hung around the neighborhood and knew my son. He's generally a good immature kid but surrounded himself with a bad crew. Maybe he has changed since going pro but he is a good kid, or at least was.

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2018, 02:52:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
This guy has barely gotten any playing time and yet people here still think we should make some kind of solid offer (clearing some $$$ with trades) to acquire him as a "potential difference maker" for us.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller