Author Topic: So.. what is Nerlens Noel's market going to be like next year?  (Read 5439 times)

So.. what is Nerlens Noel's market going to be like next year?
« on: February 21, 2018, 05:46:02 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
I put this on the Celtics Talk because I wouldn't mind kicking the tyres on him.

I presume his market will be absolutely no more than the mid-level, but someone will offer him that mid-level for sure.

I feel like it is worth taking a chance. But Baynes is showing, despite all his predictable struggles, that the MLE should not be treated as a wildcard.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: So.. what is Nerlens Noel's market going to be like next year?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:14:16 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Always liked Noel and of course he's a local kid so it would be great for him to be on the C's.  He would be a great backup center to play defense and rebound, but definitely does not have the offensive skills to get a big paycheck.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:12 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I feel as Dallas (and Noel himself) dropped his value enough to sign him at a cheap price.
He could still play this year.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 07:58:23 AM »

Online jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not $70M over 4 years, so that is a real bummer for Nerlens - especially since instead of making $17.5M this year, he chose to sign for the $4.1M QO.

I would probably place his value somewhere in the MLE area, but I will be very interested to see if a team will go a little higher. If not, he may not ever get over the regret of turning down the Dallas offer.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 08:07:56 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hard to see Noel getting any big offers this summer, certainly nothing near what Dallas initially offered him.

My guess is he signs a one year MLE type deal somewhere to try and rebuild his value. I can't see him re-signing in Dallas, though, not after the way they basically refused to play him.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Hard to see Noel getting any big offers this summer, certainly nothing near what Dallas initially offered him.

My guess is he signs a one year MLE type deal somewhere to try and rebuild his value. I can't see him re-signing in Dallas, though, not after the way they basically refused to play him.

I approve how the Dallas Mavericks have dealt with this situation. They get no value in playing Noel and seeing him leave for a better offer in the off-season when he does well.

They traded Anderson and two early second rounders for Noel. And although that's not a lot, it's still waisted assets without a longterm agreement from Noel. The only mistake Dallas made was actually offering Noel 70/4. That's a huge gamble and overpay. I still don't understand how Noel didn't accept that. Ridiculous. Noel should suffer the consequences not the Mavericks.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Aren't there a bunch of stories out there about how he's super immature? Trashing his rental home in Philly, getting a hotdog during a game in Dallas, etc.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The best possible deal he might get is a one year deal from a team with cap space that can’t sign another free agent.  I can’t see anybody giving him a multi-year deal for more than the MLE.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 01:25:34 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Aren't there a bunch of stories out there about how he's super immature? Trashing his rental home in Philly, getting a hotdog during a game in Dallas, etc.
He’s a dog in practice too- absolutely no effort- and claims he’s a “game player.”  Plus he just had surgery that the Mavs didn’t approve of and could have waited until the offseason.  I wouldn’t touch him.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
It's a double edged sword, old friend rick Carlisle burying Noel, Noel not capitalizing this year for multi year deal for $$$
Random things i see, he's not a starter unless its a junk team (or a great offensive team see perk) , he seems to think he is a starter.  I love his defense, what does rick not like.  Rick for better or worse has always been a thick headed I'm right guy (rondo, Indy/bird)
I have wanted him in past in green.  However I look at a big rotation of horford, baynes, Monroe and theis and he simply doesn't fit anymore

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 03:28:16 PM »

Online jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's a double edged sword, old friend rick Carlisle burying Noel, Noel not capitalizing this year for multi year deal for $$$
Random things i see, he's not a starter unless its a junk team (or a great offensive team see perk) , he seems to think he is a starter.  I love his defense, what does rick not like.  Rick for better or worse has always been a thick headed I'm right guy (rondo, Indy/bird)
I have wanted him in past in green.  However I look at a big rotation of horford, baynes, Monroe and theis and he simply doesn't fit anymore

Monroe is almost assuredly not returning next year and Baynes is certainly not guaranteed a spot. One of the smartest things Noel could do is come back 'home' and play for a contender for the MLE and hope to build up his value. Not playing on one of the worst teams has certainly ruined any previous value he had.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Monroe is almost assuredly not returning next year and Baynes is certainly not guaranteed a spot. One of the smartest things Noel could do is come back 'home' and play for a contender for the MLE and hope to build up his value. Not playing on one of the worst teams has certainly ruined any previous value he had.

I would try to resign Monroe for the full MLE next season way before Noel. I'd rather teach Monroe team defense then Noel offense.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Seems likely we draft a big man, given that we are all set at the wings and, obviously, PG. Hard to see a malcontent having value here in that situation. He's going to be angling for playing time (to get a bigger future contract). I've liked his game at times as well - but I don't see him working out here.

I could see him going to the Clippers if they move Jordan in the off-season. Nice mid-level replacement going to a team where a player like that has a defined role... ...could be a win for the Clippers and for Noel.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 05:00:36 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
people still hung up on him...
dude has no game. he is a center but has no strength, cant shoot, doesn't try hard, cant make FT's.
he just doesn't deserve to be on a NBA hardwood anymore, especially one of the best teams in the league and in history of the game, the Celtics.
Dallas is the worst team in the league and he can't get on the floor to save his life, what is there to talk about.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 05:01:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
MLE
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain