Author Topic: Cs are extremely poor in transition offensively  (Read 980 times)

Cs are extremely poor in transition offensively
« on: February 24, 2018, 11:12:04 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I do not understand why we are doing so poorly in transition... so many youth, athleticism, shooting and yet we are extremely poor on transition offensively this year!!

As Coach Stevens said, with just 1 more basket per half we would be among the top offenses in the league! And it frustrate me so much to see them squander so many easy tr ansition opportunities every game...

Two things i did notice :

1) holding on the ball too long:

We rarely take advantage when we have numbers in transition (2 on 1 or 3 on 2, etc) because it seems to me that the guy with the ball hold on to it too long...
The opposing defensive players have time to scan what our options are if our ballhandler keeps the ball too long...!
When in transition and out numbering the defense just pass the ball around dont ever dribble once unless you are given the clear path to the rim! That way the defenders will stay unbalanced and guessing... the more our ballhandler dribbles the narrower our options are and the easier it is for the opponents....

2) Not running to the corners:

I noticed this and was soooo happy when Coach Stevens himself highlighted the fact we are not running straight to the corners in transition. I thought this will finally be fixed and we could become more lethal in transition but unfortunately it only lasted 1 game!!!
Last night vs detroit everybody is running to the middle again in transition!! This is maddening!! Im watching Cleveland fill up the lanes with players sprinting straight to the corners in transition and we just do not do it enough! This results in turnovers or easy basket that we miss...running to the corner doesnt necessarily means we will be shooting the 3 everytime but it means more options for us and makes it harder for the defense to contain us in transition...

I strongly beleive that just doing those 2 things can give us at least 1 more basket each half!

Re: Cs are extremely poor in transition offensively
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
not making the right passes, missing layups, general disconnect of speed between different players on the roster (some guys would be playing really fast, others can only go so fast)

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We really are quite poor:

https://stats.nba.com/teams/transition/?sort=PPP&dir=1

Second worst in points per transition possession and eFG%.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 03:35:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
not making the right passes, missing layups, general disconnect of speed between different players on the roster (some guys would be playing really fast, others can only go so fast)

This team seems to blow a LOT of lay-ups. Players like Tatum, Rozier, and Brown seem to get to the rim with ease and then inexplicably miss. Brown has worked a controlled euro step into his game and Tatum started out the season very well at the hoop so I am hoping it is just youth. Rozier and Smart may never be able to shoot consistently within 5 feet, though.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
we were doing a better job of all of this early in the season, specifically during the huge win streak(go figure). I even started a thread about how refreshing this team was compared to last season's team. I specifically noted that it was nice to finally see guys go to the basket and actually finish at the basket. they were doing this because they were getting the ball up before the D was settled and guys like Jaylen and tatum were able to use their skills against 1 or 2 defenders instead of 5.

I personally think this is/was a change in philosophy by stevens for whatever reason. maybe it was because the injuries started piling up, or maybe he's trying to limit turnovers by being conservative, maybe both.

whatever it is it's not the way we started the season. now this team when we actually get a rebound instead of looking up we look to get the ball to the PG and the D is allowed to get back and set their half court D.

this is such a hard way to win.