Author Topic: Kyrie: "We need [Hayward] for years to come."  (Read 2552 times)

Kyrie: "We need [Hayward] for years to come."
« on: February 19, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Kyrie twice alluded to staying with Boston for the long-term in a recent ESPN piece from Forsberg:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22470564/kyrie-irving-wait-gordon-hayward

Nothing super newsworthy - this may even have appeared on other forum topics lately, not sure - but I wanted to point out something Kyrie DID NOT say:

"They better back up the Brinks truck."
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Re: Kyrie: "We need [Hayward] for years to come."
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:32:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wanted to point out something Kyrie DID NOT say:

Like most players, Kyrie will get the best contract he can. He’ll be expecting his own Brinks truck.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 05:02:26 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
The other day I told my employer that they better " back up the Brinks truck!"

Today I am looking for a job.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 05:05:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Like most players, Kyrie will get the best contract he can. He’ll be expecting his own Brinks truck.

Roy I agree with you that all players early in their careers do do this. However, do you feel like IT would have been better off not verbalizing it?

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:10:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Roy I agree with you that all players early in their careers do do this. However, do you feel like IT would have been better off not verbalizing it?

I do, although I don’t really think it factored into the trade. But, vocalizing that he wanted to get paid certainly turned off some fans.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 05:21:45 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
The other day I told my employer that they better " back up the Brinks truck!"

Today I am looking for a job.

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Do they come in TRacToR Trailer Size ... :D

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I do, although I don’t really think it factored into the trade. But, vocalizing that he wanted to get paid certainly turned off some fans.

I agree. I thought the Brinks truck comment was funny. A harmless poke at Danny when he was playing at a very high level. At the time, I liked that he was a player with a chip on his shoulder, and thought that gave the Celtics an advantage in the playoffs. Danny made the best decision, and it is understandable that IT was p---ed. At this point, there shouldn't be any issues that fans have with IT- he gave us a ton of effort and great results.

Re: Kyrie, I think that this team is his if he wants it. Looking around the NBA, BOS is a definite top 10 destination, and probably top 5 now. Yeah, he could go to the Clippers or the Spurs, but I could see him wanting to be the leader of a team that has been together for a couple of years. The Hayward injury has helped solidify Kyrie's role as a leader in the locker room.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 09:28:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I agree. I thought the Brinks truck comment was funny. A harmless poke at Danny when he was playing at a very high level. At the time, I liked that he was a player with a chip on his shoulder, and thought that gave the Celtics an advantage in the playoffs. Danny made the best decision, and it is understandable that IT was p---ed. At this point, there shouldn't be any issues that fans have with IT- he gave us a ton of effort and great results.

Re: Kyrie, I think that this team is his if he wants it. Looking around the NBA, BOS is a definite top 10 destination, and probably top 5 now. Yeah, he could go to the Clippers or the Spurs, but I could see him wanting to be the leader of a team that has been together for a couple of years. The Hayward injury has helped solidify Kyrie's role as a leader in the locker room.

Agreed.  And I'd say Boston is the top destination. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

He's going to be looking at a Harden/Westbrook type contract right? When he re-signs I'd expect him to be one of the five highest paid players in the league.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 10:43:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He's going to be looking at a Harden/Westbrook type contract right? When he re-signs I'd expect him to be one of the five highest paid players in the league.

He won't be eligible for a super-max contract like those guys. Because he will be a 7-9 year veteran, he will 'only' be eligible for a 30% max contract at 5 years with 8% raises from the Cs - which is still considerably more guaranteed money than any other team can offer.

Not only will it be in his best financial interest to remain in Boston, but it might actually be the best for his basketball future, as well. A lot will have to go wrong for Kyrie to leave...which is good for us!

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 10:51:23 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Danny has already prepared himself for this. He's going to sign a big, fat contract to trump Hayward and Horford's deals. Could end up being one of the biggest deals in NBA history. Horford's contract will roll off at the same time and he will likely start taking shorter, cheaper deals. They have a brief window to spend more before having to resign Brown and Tatum.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 06:49:07 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Kyrie is a max player and I doubt the Celtics would fool around with trying to negotiate with him about that.

But...

Is Kyrie the type of guy who might pull a Durant and take a little less money to help the team? Kyrie is a pretty weird guy, he likes to think for himself. Maybe he decides that the best thing for his brand is to play deep into the playoffs and be on the highest rated national TV games every year and the best way to do that is leave some money on the table for better teammates. He's got one of the best selling shoes, he's got a movie coming out this summer. Does he make enough money elsewhere and does he see what's going on in Golden State and decide he should do that?

I don't expect this to happen but what are the odds?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Kyrie is a max player and I doubt the Celtics would fool around with trying to negotiate with him about that.

But...

Is Kyrie the type of guy who might pull a Durant and take a little less money to help the team? Kyrie is a pretty weird guy, he likes to think for himself. Maybe he decides that the best thing for his brand is to play deep into the playoffs and be on the highest rated national TV games every year and the best way to do that is leave some money on the table for better teammates. He's got one of the best selling shoes, he's got a movie coming out this summer. Does he make enough money elsewhere and does he see what's going on in Golden State and decide he should do that?

I don't expect this to happen but what are the odds?

I think about that argument a lot - like, these guys make a lot of money outside the game, so maybe taking a paycut from the league would allow them to boost the brand and still get paid.

The problem is the principle of it, in my opinion. Less so with the Celtics who have great owners and management, but it's still there: We ask players to take pay cuts and get angry when they demand the max, but the owners are billionaires.

Secondly, if Kyrie get injured, there goes his money. For any player, the risk of injury is enough to try to guarantee a big contract.

With that said... I still think IT's "Brinks truck" comment was idiotic  ::)
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Kyrie will get the max amount of money he's eligible for. And they knew when they made the deal that this would be the case.  So they're going to pay him. They would never have dealt the Nets pick if that were not the case.

If the money offered isn't what Kyrie expects - there are about 20 or more other teams that would get in line to pay him.