Author Topic: Ben Simmons alludes to recruiting lebron to 76ers  (Read 3632 times)

Re: Ben Simmons alludes to recruiting lebron to 76ers
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 12:30:03 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The notion that Lebron and Simmons wouldn't work together is silly.  Simmons and Saric work pretty well together.  Saric is a nice player but Lebron is better then him in every way except age.  Simmons, Redick, Covington, Lebron and Embiid would be a really tough matchup for GSW.  Curry would need to play exceptionally well.

Are you thinking that Lebron just becomes the Saric upgrade? I don't see that happening. Saric usage rate is 20.4, Lebron's is 30.9. Hey, they'd still win the east, but in order to maximize Lebron in Philly it's ironic that the guy we're talking about "recruiting" him would be best to move for better fitting pieces. Lebron is a better Simmons upgrade than a Saric upgrade.

For instance, sign Lebron and use Simmons in a package for Anthony Davis is better than keeping Simmons with Lebron.

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 01:09:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Are players allowed to do this? I get he isn't front office but crazy magic Johnson can't say Giannis is a great players but Simmons can do this.
Of course they can.  It happens all the time.  The only way there would be an issue would be if it became public that it was being done at the direction of the Sixers organization. 

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 01:29:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Are players allowed to do this? I get he isn't front office but crazy magic Johnson can't say Giannis is a great players but Simmons can do this.
Of course they can.  It happens all the time.  The only way there would be an issue would be if it became public that it was being done at the direction of the Sixers organization.

I'm pretty glad Tatum and brown don't do this stuff. Just seems like a distraction

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 01:33:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
The notion that Lebron and Simmons wouldn't work together is silly.  Simmons and Saric work pretty well together.  Saric is a nice player but Lebron is better then him in every way except age.  Simmons, Redick, Covington, Lebron and Embiid would be a really tough matchup for GSW.  Curry would need to play exceptionally well.

Are you thinking that Lebron just becomes the Saric upgrade? I don't see that happening. Saric usage rate is 20.4, Lebron's is 30.9. Hey, they'd still win the east, but in order to maximize Lebron in Philly it's ironic that the guy we're talking about "recruiting" him would be best to move for better fitting pieces. Lebron is a better Simmons upgrade than a Saric upgrade.

For instance, sign Lebron and use Simmons in a package for Anthony Davis is better than keeping Simmons with Lebron.
I thought about flipping Simmons for AD but that assumes that AD becomes available. Disagree that Lebron is a better Simmons upgrade than Saric.  Saric is a good role player.  Simmons is a young star.  When Lebron's play declines in 2 or 3 years, you want Simmons to be there to take over.  Of course, Fultz's situation is a big variable in the equation. 

Embiid's usage rate is third in the league at 33.8% and he is only getting assisted on 48.4% of his field goals.  That's too much offensive load considering the load he carries on defense.  It would be good to get him closer to AD's 28.8% usage and 70.1% assisted field goals. 

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I sure hope Lebron crashes and burns soon enough. It is crazy how much noise there is over what team Lebron goes to and how that team will be the new favorites for a championship. Good GMs work for years building a team through the draft, trades, and FA; it's annoying that Lebron going to [enter team name here] and that team trading its best assets for Anthony Davis is a legit possibility.

The best things that can happen to this league are: GSW having to pay real maxes to its top players (and eventually losing one or two of them) and Lebron finally declining. We are all just in a stand and wait period until then.

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I'm pretty glad Tatum and brown don't do this stuff. Just seems like a distraction
Half a minute to do an Instagram post is a distraction?  Players have a lot of downtime.  You don't know what Tatum and Brown are doing with theirs.   

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 02:06:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I sure hope Lebron crashes and burns soon enough. It is crazy how much noise there is over what team Lebron goes to and how that team will be the new favorites for a championship. Good GMs work for years building a team through the draft, trades, and FA; it's annoying that Lebron going to [enter team name here] and that team trading its best assets for Anthony Davis is a legit possibility.

The best things that can happen to this league are: GSW having to pay real maxes to its top players (and eventually losing one or two of them) and Lebron finally declining. We are all just in a stand and wait period until then.

TP until real max players get max cap hits the NBA salary cap is a joke. I really dont care whether or not a player takes a discount, that is his problem. The cap hit MUST reflect reality otherwise the cap is a joke. What planet are you playing in when Durant is not a max contract hit for salary cap purposes?

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 02:28:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If Cleveland gets back into finals which is pretty likely, I highly doubt Lebron leaves Cleveland.

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I suspect LBJ's going to LA, and the decision will have little to do with winning a title.

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 02:54:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Cleveland gets back into finals which is pretty likely, I highly doubt Lebron leaves Cleveland.

He left Miami in that situation.  I think Lebron wants a shot at another ring, and that’s very likely not happening in Cleveland.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 02:55:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Half a minute to do an Instagram post is a distraction?  Players have a lot of downtime.  You don't know what Tatum and Brown are doing with theirs.

It's not the time spent. Why on earth with you think I meant that? I meant worrying about luring free agents during the offseason in the middle of the playoff race. I didn't really love it when IT did this kind of Stuff either. If you don't care or find it tiresome good for you.

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 02:56:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I suspect LBJ's going to LA, and the decision will have little to do with winning a title.

What does losing with the Lakers offer him? He’s already got all the fame / celebrity he could ask for.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

It's not the time spent. Why on earth with you think I meant that? I meant worrying about luring free agents during the offseason in the middle of the playoff race. I didn't really love it when IT did this kind of Stuff either. If you don't care or find it tiresome good for you.
If IT hadn't done it we might not have gotten Hayward.  You can bet Pierce recruited KG. 

One Instagram post during the AllStar weekend doesn't mean that Simmons is worrying about recruiting Lebron.  He's just having fun.   

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

What does losing with the Lakers offer him? He’s already got all the fame / celebrity he could ask for.
Lebron clearly didn't handle the losing stint this year very well.  Can't see him going to the Lakers or anywhere else that won't be a competitive playoff teams. 

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The Lakers traded Nance and Clarkson to the team Lebron is currently on, and they will likely lose Randle and maybe even Lopez, KCP and/or a few bench guys in the process to sign Lebron and George.

Yes, they have Ball, Ingram and Kuzma, but that still is quite a bit of inexperience and not a sure title contender for at least a few years. Playoff team? Absolutely. Contender? Well, unless they somehow add like 2 extremely good bench guys, I'm not seeing it in a loaded West.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller