Author Topic: Boston the front runner to host 2022 All-Star game  (Read 2234 times)

Boston the front runner to host 2022 All-Star game
« on: February 17, 2018, 04:46:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
From Chris Mannix:

Hearing in LA there is a strong likelihood that Boston—if it wants it—can secure the NBA’s All Star game in 2022. Boston last hosted the game in 1964.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Boston the front runner to host 2022 All-Star game
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 04:51:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Long, long, long overdue

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
That seems like a terrible idea. Old arena during the middle of a New England winter in one of the least fun [major] cities in the U.S?

I love Boston and I called New England home for almost 30 years, but why would this even be an option? Are there plans for a new arena that I don't know about? Are the resurrecting the old Boston Garden?

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
That seems like a terrible idea. Old arena during the middle of a New England winter in one of the least fun [major] cities in the U.S?

I love Boston and I called New England home for almost 30 years, but why would this even be an option? Are there plans for a new arena that I don't know about? Are the resurrecting the old Boston Garden?

I think the the TD Garden is about 23 years old. Is that really that old of an arena?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

What least fun cities?!?! I’ve lived in Boston for a long time now and I beg to differ.  Plus there is a multiyear project underway to add even more restaurants/shops around the Garden area.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 05:44:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 05:49:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What least fun cities?!?! I’ve lived in Boston for a long time now and I beg to differ.  Plus there is a multiyear project underway to add even more restaurants/shops around the Garden area.

Charlotte, Chicago and Indy are the next three. Are Charlotte and Indy much more exciting? Are Indy and Chicago much warmer?  Is the United Center that much newer?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
'bout time and LONG overdue.

The most storied franchise in the NBA and one of the most storied in ALL of sports?

Of course it's overdue.

The great thing is by then we'll be well into our primes (Kyrie will be only 29, Hayward will be 31, Horford will be 35) and hopefully with a few more banners hanging up in the rafters.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Its long overdue but the way that Bostonians are, they'll probably complain about traffic and stop the project. However, it'd be really nice. Lots of projects going on in the area on both Garden and Cambridge side. By then it'd be a great spot.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
'bout time and LONG overdue.

The most storied franchise in the NBA and one of the most storied in ALL of sports?

Of course it's overdue.

The great thing is by then we'll be well into our primes (Kyrie will be only 29, Hayward will be 31, Horford will be 35) and hopefully with a few more banners hanging up in the rafters.

If things go right, we could have four All Star players that year, Irving Hayward Brown Tatum.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 07:11:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hope they get it. I think it would be great for the city and the franchise. Remember when the All-Star game was at Fenway. Tons of baseball fans still say that was about the best All-Star game/celebrations ever.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Imagine Celtics holding up a gold medal in boston. Would be amazing

If coach K is still coach of the olympics, kyrie and Tatum will be there at least

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 08:22:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

If coach K is still coach of the olympics, kyrie and Tatum will be there at least
Are confusing the Olympics with the All-Star game? Not sure what this post has to do with the subject.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 08:59:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Are confusing the Olympics with the All-Star game? Not sure what this post has to do with the subject.
lol I thought it was the summer olympics

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hope they get it. I think it would be great for the city and the franchise. Remember when the All-Star game was at Fenway. Tons of baseball fans still say that was about the best All-Star game/celebrations ever.

Yeah, Boston in the summer is great and Fenway is the holy grail of sports stadiums. That was a fantastic event and it was made even better by Pedro's performance.

Charlotte, Chicago and Indy are the next three. Are Charlotte and Indy much more exciting? Are Indy and Chicago much warmer?  Is the United Center that much newer?

Nope, Indianapolis would also be a terrible city both for the weather and the lack of activities. But, having been to the Field House, I can say that it is clearly better than the TD Garden. Chicago isn't warmer and I don't know much about the United Center, but it is definitely a more electric city with more to do. As far as I'm concerned, though, All-Star games should always take place in warm weather cities.

I am not going to get into a big argument about how much Boston sucks in the winter time or how unimpressive the TD Garden is - those are just facts - but I think it would make a lot more sense to wait until Boston gets a new or updated arena. Heck, Orlando built the Amway Arena in 1989 and then opened the Amway Center in 2010...and the old Amway Arena was still better than the TD Garden.

Boston will need to get very creative about how to handle the weekend festivities if they do get the All-Star game awarded to them. People in the city might have a fun time, but it's not like it is going to be a draw to anybody outside of the region.