Author Topic: 2018 Basketball Hall Of Fame (Congrats Dino Radja... and Ray)  (Read 8913 times)

Re: 2018 Basketball Hall Of Fame Finalists Named
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2018, 02:06:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would have put Chris Webber and Ray Allen in ahead of Mo Cheeks.

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2018, 02:10:50 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Per Woj.  No Ray, apparently.

Adrian Wojnarowski

Grant Hill, Jason Kidd and Steve Nash have been notified that each will be inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame's Class of 2018, sources tell ESPN. Formal announcement comes at Final Four weekend.

Adrian Wojnarowski

Maurice Cheeks will be inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2018, league source tells ESPN. He will join Nash, Hill and Kidd as part of starry group.

That seems weird. I would've thought Ray was a no-brainer first ballot guy.

My complaints about Ray's behavior notwithstanding, he's definitely a Hall of Famer. And though I think the notion of "first ballot" Hall of Famer is silly—someone is either a Hall of Famer or they're not—he should definitely be a first-ballot guy.

I agree. It's the same weird standard applied to Reggie Miller, and more often in baseball.  Enough voters didn't deem him "first-ballot" that he couldn't clear the threshold. Next year he'll probably coast in easily.

If we're going to treat "first-ballot" as some special tier, then put it in the rules, set a higher vote threshold or whatever. This unofficial norm stuff is just silly.

I agree. I see it in other sports too. I'm not a fan of Barry Bonds or Pete Rose, but they're among baseball's best players ever. Period.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Adrian Wojnarowski

Grant Hill, Jason Kidd and Steve Nash have been notified that each will be inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame's Class of 2018, sources tell ESPN. Formal announcement comes at Final Four weekend.

Adrian Wojnarowski

Maurice Cheeks will be inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2018, league source tells ESPN. He will join Nash, Hill and Kidd as part of starry group.

My complaints about Ray's behavior notwithstanding, he's definitely a Hall of Famer. And though I think the notion of "first ballot" Hall of Famer is silly—someone is either a Hall of Famer or they're not—he should definitely be a first-ballot guy.

I am thinking there is a chance Ray is losing the respect of his peers right now with the scorned lover routine he is doing on the talk show circuit. You really don't see that many players trying slam their ex teammates with locker room stories a few years after retiring when some of the other players are still playing and trying to make a living. Wouldn't surprise me if a few voters thought they didn't want the focus of hall of fame weekend to be Allen doing more interviews to promote his book and how the celtics screwed him (he is on front page of espn nba section again talking about that).

I understand this aspect, but this is the kind of stuff that absolutely should not factor into a player's consideration for the Hall of Fame. A player's attitude toward his former teammates or employer(s), or a player's attitude toward the media—none of these things should have any bearing on whether a player gets into his sport's Hall of Fame. The only question that should matter is: "Is (Player X) one of the best of all time?" In Allen's case, the answer is a clear "yes," because he's absolutely one of the best long-range shooters ever.

Well its not like he won't ever get in. If they feel like he is acting like a sideshow right now and want to have him wait a year when he isn't throwing dirt on a bunch of current and former players, is that the end of the world?

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
The fact that Grant Hill got into the HOF is a joke. 

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2018, 02:56:24 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Adrian Wojnarowski

Adrian Wojnarowski

I am thinking there is a chance Ray is losing the respect of his peers right now with the scorned lover routine he is doing on the talk show circuit. You really don't see that many players trying slam their ex teammates with locker room stories a few years after retiring when some of the other players are still playing and trying to make a living. Wouldn't surprise me if a few voters thought they didn't want the focus of hall of fame weekend to be Allen doing more interviews to promote his book and how the celtics screwed him (he is on front page of espn nba section again talking about that).

I understand this aspect, but this is the kind of stuff that absolutely should not factor into a player's consideration for the Hall of Fame. A player's attitude toward his former teammates or employer(s), or a player's attitude toward the media—none of these things should have any bearing on whether a player gets into his sport's Hall of Fame. The only question that should matter is: "Is (Player X) one of the best of all time?" In Allen's case, the answer is a clear "yes," because he's absolutely one of the best long-range shooters ever.

Well its not like he won't ever get in. If they feel like he is acting like a sideshow right now and want to have him wait a year when he isn't throwing dirt on a bunch of current and former players, is that the end of the world?

No, not the end of the world at all, but to me, it's not a matter of "first ballot," "second ballot," "tenth ballot'; a player is either a HOFer or he isn't. It's really that simple. If people want to "send a message" to a malcontent like Ray, they can text him their disapproval, or give his book horrible reviews on Amazon. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2018, 04:36:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
When he retired, Mo Cheeks was (i) Top 5 All Time in assists (ii) #1 All Time in steals.

I don't think he gets the respect he deserves on here.

Outside of the freakish talents of Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertsons and a few others ... at that time, Mo Cheeks was the quintessential PG (bettered since by John Stockton). He represented everything you want in a PG. One of the best defensive PGs ever. Excellent decision maker and floor general. An excellent leader (widely regarded as main leader inside that Sixers locker room). A solid rebounder. A very good passer. A solid scorer who could drive, shoot and was a menace in transition. Like I said, he represented everything you wanted from your PG. He made everyone around him better on both ends of the court and was a consummate leader. A guy who always put the team before himself and had great success individually and collective during his career.

I am shocked that it has taken this long for Mo Cheeks to be in the HoF. I would have him in much sooner.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:49:58 PM by Who »

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
When he retired, Mo Cheeks was (i) Top 5 All Time in assists (ii) #1 All Time in steals.

I don't think he gets the respect he deserves on here.

Outside of the freakish talents of Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertsons ... at that time, Mo Cheeks was the quintessential PG. He represented everything you want in a PG. One of the best defensive PGs ever. Excellent decision maker and floor general. An excellent leader (widely regarded as main leader inside that Sixers locker room). A solid rebounder. A very good passer. A solid scorer who could drive, shoot and was a menace in transition.

I am shocked that it has taken this long for Mo Cheeks to be in the HoF. I would have him in much sooner.

His career numbers are largely due to longevity though. His 6.7 assists per game for his career are not that impressive (34th alltime). He was only an all star four times, and never made an all NBA team.

Does anybody believe that Alvin Robertson should be a Hall of Famer? Mo Cheeks is on that level.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Here's an interesting thought that this reminds me of.

Had John Stockton never played in the NBA, Mark Jackson would have retired in 2004 as the All-Time assist leader having passed HOFers Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Isaiah Thomas to top the list.

He would have been HOF eligible in the class of 2010, but Jason Kidd would have passed him as the leader in Nov 2009, a few months before HOF voting.

So in a world where Mark Jackson has a 5-6 year reign as the all time assist leader, does he as a 1x All-Star and ROY get in the HOF in 2010?

Kind of hard to keep a guy who was the all time leader in one of the big 3 stats out of the hall.

What a world that would be.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2018, 06:37:23 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

If he doesn't get hurt we'd be talking about him being one of the greatest of all time.
ok fine

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2018, 08:04:28 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

If he doesn't get hurt we'd be talking about him being one of the greatest of all time.
If Cheeks got hurt when Hill did guys like Rod Strickland and Marbury would be more Hall worthy.

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2018, 12:34:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Apparently, ESPN is reporting now that Ray DID make it in the HOF.   

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22978026/jason-kidd-steve-nash-ray-allen-grant-hill-headline-2018-naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-fame-class
Down at the end of the article it says Dino Radja is going into the HOF as well.

The 2018 Hall of Fame class is rounded out by Rod Thorn, a longtime NBA executive and the general manager of the Chicago Bulls when they drafted Michael Jordan; Charlie Scott, a five-time All-Star who scored nearly 15,000 combined points in the ABA and NBA; Rick Welts, president of the Warriors; Dino Radja, one of FIBA's 50 greatest players and a two-time EuroLeague champion who played for the Celtics; and Ora Mae Washington, a dominant basketball and tennis player whom Arthur Ashe once said "may have been the best female athlete ever."

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22978026/jason-kidd-steve-nash-ray-allen-grant-hill-headline-2018-naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-fame-class
Down at the end of the article it says Dino Radja is going into the HOF as well.

The 2018 Hall of Fame class is rounded out by Rod Thorn, a longtime NBA executive and the general manager of the Chicago Bulls when they drafted Michael Jordan; Charlie Scott, a five-time All-Star who scored nearly 15,000 combined points in the ABA and NBA; Rick Welts, president of the Warriors; Dino Radja, one of FIBA's 50 greatest players and a two-time EuroLeague champion who played for the Celtics; and Ora Mae Washington, a dominant basketball and tennis player whom Arthur Ashe once said "may have been the best female athlete ever."

WOW! Dino!!! They are letting everybody in these days   ;D

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2018, 01:44:28 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Glad to see that Ray is in on the first ballot. Well deserved.

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2018, 03:30:05 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Dino and Charlie Scott
Hate to say it but i don't see them HOF level