Author Topic: All star weekend thread  (Read 7434 times)

Re: All star weekend thread
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 03:54:47 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I didn’t catch the game last night (but caught the highlights) but watched tonight’s events... pretty weak imo.

I really don’t know how to fix it. It may just be dead.

I guess if all the Saturday nights events featured only all-stars, that’s would make it good, but they simply don’t want to do it.

I’d say we had what, 18 participants across the 3 events? How many were all-stars? Off the top of my head I can only recall Horford, Embiid, Drummond, Thompson, George, Lowry, Beal. and Oladipo. Thats 8 (maybe I forgot one or two) of 18. There’s no reason they can’t put together a better event using the 24 all-stars.

NBA should push them to do it. Wouldn’t it be fun to see Durant vs Steph vs Klay in the 3pt contest? LeBron finally do the dunk contest (cmon, let’s be honest, punk move to never do it)!

Skills Challenge:
Horford
Embiid
Drummond
Davis
Lillard
Harden
Dragic
Walker

3-point Shootout:
Curry
Thompson
Durant
Irving
George
Beal

Dunk Contest:
James
Antetokounmpo
Westbrook
Oladipo

Or something like that. But how much more interesting is that? No disrespect to the guys that participated tonight, props to them, but this is ALL-STAR weekend. I just don’t get how the best players are such divas and don’t want to have fun for the fans. Would anyone still not think LeBron is a top-10 player of all time if he can’t put down his first dunk and flushes a lame one on his second? Who really cares?

It’s a shame this weekend went from Jordan vs ‘Nique to Mitchell vs Nance, Jr.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don’t mind the 3 point contest at all, but it might be time for a change with the dunk contest, and the skills challenge does nothing for me.

I’d love to see a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 competition, and also horse (not involving dunks).

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I don’t mind the 3 point contest at all, but it might be time for a change with the dunk contest, and the skills challenge does nothing for me.

I’d love to see a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 competition, and also horse (not involving dunks).

Horse would be awesome! The problem with it though for a live televised event, is the length is totally unpredictable and could take forever.

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 11:49:53 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Horse would be awesome! The problem with it though for a live televised event, is the length is totally unpredictable and could take forever.

They tried some version of horse once already, and it was a pretty big flop.

I like the skills challenge, but they need to spice it up a little bit. Add an extra challenge or two.

The dunk contest is what it is. Some years it's great, other years it's a dud.

I thought they should have kept the shooting stars challenge. It was a neat 'team' event that brought in old timers and women to kind of mix it up a bit.

Obviously the three point shootout is still the best event, though.   No need to mess with that much. I did like the old format better, but it's fine as is.

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Here's an idea to improve the quality of competition in the All Star Game:

Get rid of the Game MVP award and only hand out a Defensive Player of the Game Award with a substantial cash prize.

As bad as the game has been, I always liked rooting for the East because it was my home team.  Having no allegiance and Celtics on each side is weird.
Yup

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 12:13:13 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Get rid of the Game MVP award and only hand out a Defensive Player of the Game Award with a substantial cash prize.

As bad as the game has been, I always liked rooting for the East because it was my home team.  Having no allegiance and Celtics on each side is weird.

This is by far the best idea I have seen for improving the all-star game.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 12:18:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Which is exactly why it will never happen.

After a few years we'd end up with a bunch of Marcus Smart's dominating in an early 90's Mike Fratello type scoring game.  Team Smart beats Team Tony Allen  72-67.
Yup

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2018, 12:35:14 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, I agree - this is a fantastic idea! You could even expand it to an All-star Defensive Team of 5 players to provide even more competition. I also agree with the East vs West thing - not having an allegiance to either side makes it even less interesting this year..

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I like that all star game idea for the defensive player award.

The skills contest is kind of a joke.  It’s so short that it’s highly flukey.  Whoever wins the dunk contest can claim to be the best dunker that year and whoever wins the 3 point contest can claim to be the best 3 point shooter that year.  Those titles have a little bit of meaning.  I don’t think anyone considers the winner of the skills challenge to be the most skilled.  Or even above average in skill.

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 01:13:07 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I like that all star game idea for the defensive player award.

The skills contest is kind of a joke.  It’s so short that it’s highly flukey.  Whoever wins the dunk contest can claim to be the best dunker that year and whoever wins the 3 point contest can claim to be the best 3 point shooter that year.  Those titles have a little bit of meaning.  I don’t think anyone considers the winner of the skills challenge to be the most skilled.  Or even above average in skill.

They should replace the skills challenge with a 3 on 3 tournament or a HORSE tournament. Add a time restriction in HORSE to make it feasible for TV, like however is ahead after a specific amount of time wins, or it goes to next letter wins.

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Didn't they have a HORSE competition. I remember Rondo did great in it and was in the Finals against, I think, KD. Rondo lost. But it was incredibly boring and drawn out.

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2018, 03:50:15 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Didn't they have a HORSE competition. I remember Rondo did great in it and was in the Finals against, I think, KD. Rondo lost. But it was incredibly boring and drawn out.

It was never fully a part of the all-star weekend, and I believe didn't air on tv. They also didn't organize it well. They could put a time restriction on it and spark it up with some bigger names, replace the skills challenge with it.

A one-on-one tournament would be totally awesome too. Play up to 11, 1 pointers and two pointers (behind the 3pt line), and no free throws, call your own fouls. Single-game elimination. I would love to see that.

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It was never fully a part of the all-star weekend, and I believe didn't air on tv. They also didn't organize it well. They could put a time restriction on it and spark it up with some bigger names, replace the skills challenge with it.

A one-on-one tournament would be totally awesome too. Play up to 11, 1 pointers and two pointers (behind the 3pt line), and no free throws, call your own fouls. Single-game elimination. I would love to see that.
Oh I remember watching it on TV. I also remember that it was held in a different arena than the other events were happening at.

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
When does the game actually start? Half an hour? An hour?

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
What's all this pre game idiocy going on at the All Star game? Makes no sense. It's like they suddenly think they're American Idol