Author Topic: All star weekend thread  (Read 7379 times)

Re: All star weekend thread
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 03:04:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think we undervalue Brown. Seldom you see the player primarily guarded by Brown go off for a big scoring night. Even when he isn't playing great, his defense is always there. You can't say the same for Rozier or Tatum.

And as Nickagneta pointed out Brown is definetely improving his game. Last year he was so raw and just a back-up for Jae Crowder. People who said that he might be able to replace Crowder in the starting line-up were considered overly optimistic.   

There are three guys from the 2016 draft who are for sure on their way to become All Stars and they are Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown and Jamal Murray.
He's definitely improving, I'm not disputing that. Problem is they need more consistency out of him - because Hayward's out and the team struggles to score - and he's just not delivering it.  I thought he stunk Wednesday and that was a very winnable game.

He can hit the corner 3 and his game is getting to the basket, which is needed - but he gets himself in trouble on dribble penetration far too often.  I'm not saying get rid of him, I'm just saying let's not anoint him quite yet.  I'd trade the spectacular for a little more consistency. 

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 03:23:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I still don't quite understand how Joe Ingles is not in the three-point shooting contest.  He's literally one of the two or three best shooters in the game.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 04:28:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Jaylen Brown rose up for sure! 35 points and a spectacular series of dunks.  Brown had his way and really showcased his athleticism.

Brown plays with a lot more fire in his belly than Green ever did.  I think the comparisons stop at the athleticism.  Brown's mentality is superior.  He's constantly wanting to improve and the sky is still the limit for this kid.

https://youtu.be/EqaGca7JhnU

I don't see how you can't be high on JB's showing against his peers!
It's easy to look great in basketball when the opponent plays no defense. Brown has really struggled recently.  His handle is weak and his hands aren't all that great. Plus he struggles making FT's. He's got a long way to go.
There was a time when Brown's handle wasn't that good but that time is not now. He has improved his handles immensely this year. He isn't just a straight line driver to the basket as he has incorporated twists, euro steps and stops and starts in his drives all while lowering his TO% to a very good 11.9 while increasing his usage percentage. Brown's handle is pretty good right now.

This times like 1000. People need to.update their scouting reports on Brown. Hid handle could still get better, but saying he has none us factually wrong.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 04:47:01 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I still don't quite understand how Joe Ingles is not in the three-point shooting contest.  He's literally one of the two or three best shooters in the game.

I don't understand either. Not that I care, though. No interest in All Star weekend.

Now I can fully concentrate my attention to the Olympics.

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Its all exhibition with no D whatsoever...

Jaylen was able to score at will because of it...trouble happens when somebody guards him..he becomes limited and becomes Jeff Green 2.0 .

Gosh! Jeff Green has become a catch all for criticism of all athletic SF/PF types on this forum.

I’m not even sure they compare athletically.  Brown seems to have a lot better agility and body control, whereas Green was good with a head of steam in straight line drives, and had trouble with lateral movement.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 08:15:08 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
The skills challenge is the only consistently fun event during All Star weekend.  The other events always have their good years and bad ones, but I've dug the skill challenge ever since they moved to this bigs vs smalls thing. 

Too bad Horford couldn't nail that three though.

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 08:27:02 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Horford got beat by embiid. Sucks

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 08:59:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
This dunk contest is going to be good.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 09:03:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Typical Raptor choking in the spotlight when it matters.  ;D

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 09:13:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Kyries shoe laces have the year of every Celtics championship on them

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
was Dennis Scott deliberately not calling Devin Booker the JBL 3-pt competition champion/winner. He did it twice. Is the NBA against calling the victors winners?

Scott said twice.. give it up for the 2018 JBL 3 point contest, and he pointed at Booker.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 09:28:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Kyries shoe laces have the year of every Celtics championship on them
More evidence along with waiving his trade kicker and telling Hayward that he needs to take care of himself because he is needed for years to come that I think Kyrie has bought into Boston long term. He ain't going anywhere after next year.

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 09:39:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

They made Russell stand up for some meaningless thing. I don't think he can stand very long on his own anymore. Sad

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
There were a couple of creative dunks in this contest.  Mediocre overall.

I guess you just don't get showdowns like the Lavine-Gordon contest every year. 

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
There were a couple of creative dunks in this contest.  Mediocre overall.

I guess you just don't get showdowns like the Lavine-Gordon contest every year.

Pretty disappointing.  Some of Jaylen's in-game dunks last night were more impressive.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC