Author Topic: All star weekend thread  (Read 7388 times)

All star weekend thread
« on: February 16, 2018, 11:18:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Did anyone see trouble 07 do good work in the rising stars game? Brown had a nice stat line

I didn't get a chance to see how pierce did in the celeb game

Re: All star weekend thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 02:32:19 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Its all exhibition with no D whatsoever...

Jaylen was able to score at will because of it...trouble happens when somebody guards him..he becomes limited and becomes Jeff Green 2.0 .

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 04:25:36 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Jaylen was able to score at will because of it...trouble happens when somebody guards him..he becomes limited and becomes Jeff Green 2.0 .

Gosh! Jeff Green has become a catch all for criticism of all athletic SF/PF types on this forum.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 07:40:03 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Gosh! Jeff Green has become a catch all for criticism of all athletic SF/PF types on this forum.

It's weird, right? The funny thing is, I would love to have Jeff Green on this year's team coming off the bench. He has certainly been effective in that role with the Cavs - probably a reason they weren't even worse before the big trade.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:59:23 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Great game by Brown and Tatum did pretty well, too. If we were basing it just on style, Team USA wins in a landslide with some really fun dunks (especially by Jaylen); however, Bogdan and Team World just took and made a million 3s.

Still exciting to see two of our prized young guys in the game - too bad the team as a whole got destroyed.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Horford is in the skills challenge, which is the only legit competition left in ASG weekend.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

Personally I wish Brown had brought his A game or even his B game vs the Clippers Wednesday. They'd have won. No defense exhibitions don't count.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Horford is in the skills challenge, which is the only legit competition left in ASG weekend.
Personally I would be for cancelling all star games period.  The only one that's ever any decent is when MLS brings in a top European club to play their all stars. Usually you get an interesting match. With the other sports the players make too much money, no one wants to get hurt (understandably) and to me its just not interesting.

The only solution I could offer for the NBA is maybe you play the game to kick off the next season.  Guys are trying to get into game shape so it might encourage them to try a little.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 11:53:34 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Jaylen Brown rose up for sure! 35 points and a spectacular series of dunks.  Brown had his way and really showcased his athleticism.

Brown plays with a lot more fire in his belly than Green ever did.  I think the comparisons stop at the athleticism.  Brown's mentality is superior.  He's constantly wanting to improve and the sky is still the limit for this kid.

https://youtu.be/EqaGca7JhnU

I don't see how you can't be high on JB's showing against his peers!

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Jaylen Brown rose up for sure! 35 points and a spectacular series of dunks.  Brown had his way and really showcased his athleticism.

Brown plays with a lot more fire in his belly than Green ever did.  I think the comparisons stop at the athleticism.  Brown's mentality is superior.  He's constantly wanting to improve and the sky is still the limit for this kid.

It's easy to look great in basketball when the opponent plays no defense. Brown has really struggled recently.  His handle is weak and his hands aren't all that great. Plus he struggles making FT's. He's got a long way to go.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

TP, loved the highlights! He looked super silky on those shots and dunks. I for one, think he is only get better and better each year. Exciting stuff!How he has transformed his shot in a year is really amazing and bodes well for continuous evolving of his game.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 01:28:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It's easy to look great in basketball when the opponent plays no defense. Brown has really struggled recently.  His handle is weak and his hands aren't all that great. Plus he struggles making FT's. He's got a long way to go.
There was a time when Brown's handle wasn't that good but that time is not now. He has improved his handles immensely this year. He isn't just a straight line driver to the basket as he has incorporated twists, euro steps and stops and starts in his drives all while lowering his TO% to a very good 11.9 while increasing his usage percentage. Brown's handle is pretty good right now.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I think we undervalue Brown. Seldom you see the player primarily guarded by Brown go off for a big scoring night. Even when he isn't playing great, his defense is always there. You can't say the same for Rozier or Tatum.

And as Nickagneta pointed out Brown is definetely improving his game. Last year he was so raw and just a back-up for Jae Crowder. People who said that he might be able to replace Crowder in the starting line-up were considered overly optimistic.   

There are three guys from the 2016 draft who are for sure on their way to become All Stars and they are Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown and Jamal Murray.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It was an okay exhibition. Liked how it started off more than how it ended. Lots of nice dunks by team USA. Team world had better passing and 3pt shooting.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 02:57:54 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
How could you leave Jalyen off the dunk contest this year?  I mean he has had some many highlight dunks during the year, with some complete posters of a number of guys.  After watching the Jaylen highlights of the rising stars game, I think the NBA really missed the boat not including him.