Author Topic: How Do You Define An Assist?  (Read 624 times)

How Do You Define An Assist?
« on: February 16, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Watching video of Jokic's trip dub last night has me asking this question: what is really an assist and what isn't?

On some of these passes, the guy who gets the ball will take multiple dribbles, even do a move to create space before taking a shot.

That doesn't seem like an assist to me.  And this was on the road!  Not like it was home cooking.

To me, a player should get an assist if they basically did the work of creating and / or seeing an open passing lane and they found a guy who was in a position to score either right away or after one or two steps.  The player receiving the assist shouldn't have to make any moves or adjustments, just take the shot or move toward the hoop and put the ball in.  Otherwise, the assisting player isn't really creating that basket, are they?  They're just keeping the ball moving.

Put it more succinctly -- an assist is a pass to an open player who takes advantage of their openness to score very soon after getting the ball.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: How Do You Define An Assist?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:55:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I always thought an assist was pass that led to a score with the person taking less than two dribbles to do so.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:56:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I always thought an assist was pass that led to a score with the person taking less than two dribbles to do so.

I think that's right. I think what Pho is asking is: does that make sense?

If a player receives a pass, sizes up the defense, pump fakes, takes two dribbles to the basket and then lays it in, should that really be an assist?

I agree that what I sometimes see recorded as assists make me shake my head. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 06:08:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

If a player receives a pass, sizes up the defense, pump fakes, takes two dribbles to the basket and then lays it in, should that really be an assist?

I agree, there are times in the NBA where sometimes players get assists even when they take more than 2 dribbles. I guess they interpret it as someone in the action of scoring while given a complete pass.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 06:10:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Watching video of Jokic's trip dub last night has me asking this question: what is really an assist and what isn't?

On some of these passes, the guy who gets the ball will take multiple dribbles, even do a move to create space before taking a shot.

That doesn't seem like an assist to me.  And this was on the road!  Not like it was home cooking.

To me, a player should get an assist if they basically did the work of creating and / or seeing an open passing lane and they found a guy who was in a position to score either right away or after one or two steps.  The player receiving the assist shouldn't have to make any moves or adjustments, just take the shot or move toward the hoop and put the ball in.  Otherwise, the assisting player isn't really creating that basket, are they?  They're just keeping the ball moving.

Put it more succinctly -- an assist is a pass to an open player who takes advantage of their openness to score very soon after getting the ball.

The assist has gotten more and more liberal in it's counting over the years....

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 06:25:17 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Some passes some one scores.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 06:32:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
helping an old lady across the street

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yes -- essentially, if the player to whom you pass the ball has to do work on their own to create an opening for a shot, did you really assist them?  What did you do to help create that basket?

I suspect a lot of point guards back in the day got assists by dumping it into a big man who would do a collection of post moves and then score.   Is that really an assist, though?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain