Author Topic: College Corruption Case Poised to Take Hall of Fame Coaches, Top Programs, etc.  (Read 14367 times)

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
not surprised at all

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
The NCAA is largely a hypocritical joke. If schools can make millions off these players (and they do), the players should be able to receive compensation. I think the power schools/conferences should sever ties with the NCAA and have their own association with their own tournament.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The NCAA is largely a hypocritical joke. If schools can make millions off these players (and they do), the players should be able to receive compensation. I think the power schools/conferences should sever ties with the NCAA and have their own association with their own tournament.

Yeah, the big time basketball and football programs really have no need to be associated with the NCAA. They should just cuts ties with them so they can freely pay their players whatever they want. By considering the players "employees" there would be no need to worry about Title IX compliance either.

If the top athletes are going to be forced to waste their time playing in college when they could already be pros if not for stupid rules preventing them from going pro, then they should be paid. I don't really care if they get paid legally or otherwise. But it'd be a lot better for the schools to find a way to do it legally.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Oh the justice if Duke got busted.  The most coddled team in college basketball by the media and refs getting busted?  ESPN wouldn't know what to do. 

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If some reporter can get a hold of all this info and get it out in the public soon, the NCAA tournament is screwed.
Finally got a prediction right!

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I still haven't figured out what the actual crime is and why the fbi cares
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I also sorta feel this way

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ayton allegedly paid 100k

FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussed $100K payment to lock recruit

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

The dominoes are falling
Probably will eventually cost Miller his career and Ayton for the year. Say bye bye to the tournament Zona.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Bribes across state lines?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

I don't see that as bribes though and certainly not in an illegal or dishonest manner.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I don't see that as bribes though and certainly not in an illegal or dishonest manner.
I could definitely see it as the coaches and agents not acting in the interest of the kid. The kid is being traded like cattle and doesn't even necessarily know it.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

A coach at a state school is paid tens of thousands of dollars by an agent to direct athletes to that agent’s agency.  This is contrary to school and NCAA rules.

How is that not a bribe? Any time you’re paying off a government official to give you an impermissible benefit, it’s bribery.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I do think that such acts are illegal. At the same time, I wish the FBI would finish every important case that they have before they start down this rabbit hole. I feel that only naive people would be surprised that college bball coaches are bribing players and agents, and in the grand scheme of things, this seems like a very low priority.

I'm not really sure how to prevent this from happening, besides big brother monitoring every conversation that every coach has with every recruit. A tall task for an agency that has not been able to finish other investigations.

Is anyone actually offended by these scandals? I feel that it has been happening for such a long time that it is almost old news. Sort of like lobbyists bribing politicians to pass legislation.