Author Topic: Gun Control?  (Read 21604 times)

Re: Gun Control?
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2018, 02:12:57 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5509
I don't see this elsewhere in the thread, and I've been meaning to post it since last week, but:

Very sad that the FBI missed all of the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter. This is not acceptable. They are spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign - there is no collusion. Get back to the basics and make us all proud!

Just want to again point out that the actual President of the United States said this after the worst high school shooting I can remember.

I remember seeing this last week and basically trying not to vomit. I cannot believe so many people are still okay with Trump saying stuff like this.

Mind you all the follow up comments about investigating Obama instead really sells his point well.

It is insane how obvious his first instinct is to say, "But what about ME!", and people are all so cool with that.
His photo ops in Parkland with the big smiles and thumbs up were equally sickening and out of place as well.

« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2018, 02:55:31 PM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2077
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't see this elsewhere in the thread, and I've been meaning to post it since last week, but:

Very sad that the FBI missed all of the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter. This is not acceptable. They are spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign - there is no collusion. Get back to the basics and make us all proud!

Just want to again point out that the actual President of the United States said this after the worst high school shooting I can remember.

I remember seeing this last week and basically trying not to vomit. I cannot believe so many people are still okay with Trump saying stuff like this.

It's disgusting but remember this is just the comments section brought into the highest office in the country. This kind of shallow reactionary non sequitur is very popular.

Also, while I've so far given the benefit of the doubt to "maybe Trump wasn't coordinating with Russia and it's just his dumb ego that's led to all this denial and guilty behavior", this sure makes him sound like he's very, very guilty and knows it.

« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2018, 09:52:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27668
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I understand armed guards. Armed teachers, though? Even if the logistics and liability issues could be worked out, I’m skeptical.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2018, 10:21:54 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
What's next. Encasing every school in America with multiple fences around them and three police officers working there. One to monitor the surveillance cameras, one at the entrance and one walking the halls inside. What? All for the sake of not passing some excellent gun control laws?

Teachers with guns is a stupid move on so many levels.

« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2018, 10:39:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 947
Don't worry - Florida has come to the rescue! The Florida House has approved a bill to post, "In God We Trust" in a conspicuous place in all public schools. We don't need gun control - religion will save us all  ::)

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gradebook/2018/02/21/florida-house-approves-bill-to-post-in-god-we-trust-in-all-public-schools/

« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2018, 11:33:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2429
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If we go way out of our way, nationally even, to protect schools, with bulletproof this and armed guard that, are we not just tacitly admitting that we’re okay with mass shootings not under those specific contexts? Churches, ballparks, food courts, playgrounds, if we just say ‘we are going to protect schools’ and stop there are we not just saying, ‘but if it happens outside of school, you’re on your own’

Doesn’t the whole idea of just acting to protect schools (and which schools? Who pays for
It? Do all schools get this treatment? Primary schools? Nursery schools? Is there a minimum student count?) especially if it is based around someone being armed, whether it is a teacher or what, aren’t we just saying, ‘but hope someone else who is capable, trained, and prepared is nearby’?

It’s guns or nothing.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2018, 11:41:36 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
Don't worry - Florida has come to the rescue! The Florida House has approved a bill to post, "In God We Trust" in a conspicuous place in all public schools. We don't need gun control - religion will save us all  ::)

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gradebook/2018/02/21/florida-house-approves-bill-to-post-in-god-we-trust-in-all-public-schools/
Ludicrous. Only in the south! ::)

First, I am not sure that is legal given the fact that its supporting Christian beliefs over others in a public facility, but why stop there? Why isn't Florida putting "In God we Trust" in every gay bar in the state? Surely that will protect innocent gay people from being massacred in a mass killing.

« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2018, 06:35:59 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 903

First, I am not sure that is legal given the fact that its supporting Christian beliefs over others in a public facility, but why stop there? Why isn't Florida putting "In God we Trust" in every gay bar in the state? Surely that will protect innocent gay people from being massacred in a mass killing.

You should incinerate all your US currency if you feel so strongly about the phrase. Sure it's a silly thing to engrave, but who really cares? And the Orlando nightclub thing was a bit much.

« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2018, 07:39:03 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 132
  • Forever LIT

I think this is pointless but I understand the sentiment. I just hope that when the inevitable next mass shooting happens they don't try to flip the narrative and say the shooter was "not a true believer in god" and then Atheists and Agnostics become vilified. 

« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2018, 08:05:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1060
A determined attacker is always gone to find a way,  that being said, we should make it as hard on them as possible.   You takes these measures and they will shoot up the bus, still something needs to be done.

« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2018, 08:23:35 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 339

You should incinerate all your US currency if you feel so strongly about the phrase. Sure it's a silly thing to engrave, but who really cares? And the Orlando nightclub thing was a bit much.

I have a problem with this as well.  Christianity is not the official religion of the USA.  Now you could argue that "In God We Trust" is generic enough that it is not strictly a Christian slogan (is that the right word) but I don't see any reason that this should be engraved in every school.  These are public institutions/facilities, they should be neutral to religion as should courts, state houses, etc.

But this has nothing to do with gun laws.  This time it feels different.  The sight of Marco Rubio trying to explain why there is no reason to restrict the sale of assault rifles.  He said something along the lines of "If I thought banning assault rifles would have prevented this, I would support legislation..."  He was roundly booed.

I heard Sen. Trey Gowdy say "whether you are killed with a gun or a brick, you are equally dead".  Yeah, that makes sense.  These are just such lame rationalizations for continuing to support this well funded political special interest.

Really what Rubio Gowdy should have said is "if I thought I could vote for the legislation and still get the funding from the NRA and the votes from the radical gun base, I would vote for it".

« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2018, 08:27:18 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 947

The phrase totally goes against how this country was built. Personally, I have a major problem with it being added to our money [in 1957] and with 'under god' being added to the Pledge of Allegiance [in 1954]. I am not going to turn this into a freedom of religion argument (although god and guns are very intertwined in our country), but sweeping all of this under the rug and saying that god will protect us is insane...like clinically insane.

« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2018, 08:33:57 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 1075
  • What a Pub Should Be
Rubio has gone from supposedly the “rising star” of the GOP just a couple of years ago to becoming a walking punch line. Talk about a PR disaster last night.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2018, 09:01:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1527
  • Pre-school artwork
I understand armed guards. Armed teachers, though? Even if the logistics and liability issues could be worked out, I’m skeptical.

As a teacher, I wouldn't want it.

Lets just look at the different times the military, or the police or armed security have hit the wrong person.   Now we want teachers to be shooting at a gun man while students are running everywhere?   

There are not that many teachers that are ex-military or police.   And their is not way they would get the constant training that someone in the police or military get when they are active.   

Now having police stationed at the schools make sense. 

And this thing about these shooters being cowards?   Don't most of them want to or plan die during their plan? 

Knicks: Irving, Drummond, Marcus Morris, S. Muhammad, C. Lee, Sullinger, Hield, M. Chriss , V. Carter, T. Zeller, N. Cole, T. Prince, Livio Jean-Charles, Tyler Ulis, N. Collison

« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2018, 09:03:58 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1527
  • Pre-school artwork
I also do not get the "We do just this one thing and everything is fixed" mentality coming from both sides.

It is as if the blame can only be attached to either the guns or the mental makeup of the person. 

Of course the problem is both.

Knicks: Irving, Drummond, Marcus Morris, S. Muhammad, C. Lee, Sullinger, Hield, M. Chriss , V. Carter, T. Zeller, N. Cole, T. Prince, Livio Jean-Charles, Tyler Ulis, N. Collison