Author Topic: Gun Control?  (Read 21551 times)

Re: Gun Control?
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27670
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
What the NRA doesn't get is by not allowing the enactment of tougher gun laws now, they are growing a generation that will repeal the 2nd amendment. Just like the current generation fought for gay rights and the legalization of marijuana, what these mass school shootings are doing is growing a generation that hates gun violence and will repeal the 2nd Amendment. So sell your guns while you can NRA because if you don't help push for much, much tougher gun laws now that help to stop these school shootings, in 25 to 40 years there will be no 2nd Amendment and no gun sales in this country anymore.

It only takes 13 states to veto any amendment. Alaska, Maine, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Utah, Nebraska, Kansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and a bunch of Southern states will never cave, based upon hunting alone.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5505
What the NRA doesn't get is by not allowing the enactment of tougher gun laws now, they are growing a generation that will repeal the 2nd amendment. Just like the current generation fought for gay rights and the legalization of marijuana, what these mass school shootings are doing is growing a generation that hates gun violence and will repeal the 2nd Amendment. So sell your guns while you can NRA because if you don't help push for much, much tougher gun laws now that help to stop these school shootings, in 25 to 40 years there will be no 2nd Amendment and no gun sales in this country anymore.

It only takes 13 states to veto any amendment. Alaska, Maine, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Utah, Nebraska, Kansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and a bunch of Southern states will never cave, based upon hunting alone.
That's now. But in 25 or 50 years? Can we be so sure? What atmosphere will be created with another couple of decades with mass murders at schools in America?

« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That's now. But in 25 or 50 years? Can we be so sure? What atmosphere will be created with another couple of decades with mass murders at schools in America?

Hunting is so engrained in these places, and has been as long as there have been people. I think the only way any of those individual states change is if there’s a tragedy there, and I think if you took a vote in Colorado (site of Columbine) I bet an anti-gun bill (let one an amendment) would fail.

« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1527
  • Pre-school artwork
Expecting extreme gun law changes are not going to happen.   The 2nd is not going away.

The goal should be to protect the rights of hunters and those who choose to protect themselves while removing assault style weapons and doing the better job of tracking where these weapons are and who has them.

Knicks: Irving, Drummond, Marcus Morris, S. Muhammad, C. Lee, Sullinger, Hield, M. Chriss , V. Carter, T. Zeller, N. Cole, T. Prince, Livio Jean-Charles, Tyler Ulis, N. Collison

« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5505

Hunting is so engrained in these places, and has been as long as there have been people. I think the only way any of those individual states change is if there’s a tragedy there, and I think if you took a vote in Colorado (site of Columbine) I bet an anti-gun bill (let one an amendment) would fail.
You may be right. But on the other hand, we don't know what another 20-30 years of mass killings is going to do to an entire new voting block. It isn't the 1700s, 1800s or 1900s anymore. Its a world of instant news access, especially for children. These children may grow up thinking hunting is pretty stupid when weighed against the lives of young children. The newer voting blocks could see hunting as passe. You just don't know.

We will see what type of turnout this March for Life has amongst children, especially high schoolers in this country. The future voting blocks may give a sign on what they think about gun control and the 2nd Amendment. Remember, these are kids that to this point have been unaffected by NRA propaganda yet.

All I am saying is this country and the NRA better get massive gun control legislation passed before a couple of new voting generations growing up in fear of mass killings in schools gets to make the decision for them.

« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2018, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 339

Who said anything about banning hunting or hunting rifles?  Hunting is already one of the most regulated and controlled activities that you can do.  You need a specific license.  You can only do it during specific seasons.  You can only use certain fire arms and ammunition.  I agree that if you took a vote to outlaw hunting through constitutional amendment, yes it would fail.  But you don't need to amend the constitution in order to have sensible regulation on assault rifles.

The younger generation will be less interested in hunting from what I can tell but that does not mean they want to outlaw it.  They just don't want it to be so easy to buy an assault rifle.  The students that are speaking out in Parkland are very clear and consistent in what they are saying.  I have not heard one say that all guns should be outlawed or that hunting should be outlawed.

« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2018, 01:22:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 164
You don't need to do away with the 2d Amendment to enact reasonable regulations on gun ownership - that's allowed under Heller.

And Heller may not last. It isn't hard to imagine a court 20 years from now significantly narrowing the holding of that case, or even overturning it. The country got along pretty well for more than 200 years before a court discovered an individual right to bear arms in the Constitution; it would do fine if that innovation was abandoned

« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »

Offline gift

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 142
You don't need to do away with the 2d Amendment to enact reasonable regulations on gun ownership - that's allowed under Heller.

And Heller may not last. It isn't hard to imagine a court 20 years from now significantly narrowing the holding of that case, or even overturning it. The country got along pretty well for more than 200 years before a court discovered an individual right to bear arms in the Constitution; it would do fine if that innovation was abandoned

You've got a mismatch going on here though. On one hand, you are stating that the court ruling in 2008 established individual citizens' rights to bear arms and proposing that things were fine before then. However, the reality is that individuals were armed for those 200 years you say the "country got along pretty well". It was only ruled that this status quo was covered by the 2nd amendment in 2008. I don't think that's the statement you want to make given what it seems like you are trying to say.

« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »

Offline triboy16f

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 519
NRA is paranoid to the max ...its incredible

Take away AR15s...NRA: what next are you going to take away? How are we going to protect ourselves from imaginary monsters that will come for us?  You know cars can kill alot of people also, take away their licenses ...and on and on BS logic

The guns and excitement of shooting it has taken over any logical/reasonal thinking .  Nobody is stating to ban guns outright but to implement more control so that it doesnt fall into the wrong hands that can cause mass killings

Gun Control will pass with this type of unrelentless pressure from victims/family + pass gun victims etc

Its not unreasonable to ban assault rifles, raise age limit,  implement a gun registry and for 1st time gun owners to go through some type of psychiatric assessment. 

« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2018, 11:24:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Take away AR15s...NRA: what next are you going to take away? How are we going to protect ourselves from imaginary monsters that will come for us?  You know cars can kill alot of people also, take away their licenses ...and on and on BS logic

The guns and excitement of shooting it has taken over any logical/reasonal thinking .  Nobody is stating to ban guns outright but to implement more control so that it doesnt fall into the wrong hands that can cause mass killings

Gun Control will pass with this type of unrelentless pressure from victims/family + pass gun victims etc

Its not unreasonable to ban assault rifles, raise age limit,  implement a gun registry and for 1st time gun owners to go through some type of psychiatric assessment.

Requiring a psychiatric assessment to exercise a Constitutional right wouldn’t fly.

« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2018, 11:37:07 AM »

Offline triboy16f

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 519

Requiring a psychiatric assessment to exercise a Constitutional right wouldn’t fly.

Well it needs to

Germany has this evaluation and they rank #4 in gun ownership in the world...yet less than 1000 related gun kills per year. I think it was less than 500 last year.  No mass shooting deaths in years

Compare this to 11,000 related gun deaths in the US and 5-7 mass type shooting in the last 12 months alone

« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2018, 11:52:47 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 91
  • #StayWoke
I am both Pro Gun and Pro Common Sense Gun Laws. This should not be a divisive stance to take. Yet the paranoid NRA followers will tell you that common sense gun laws will take away their ability to fend of 15 intruders who've come to steal their $300 TV. This line of thought is based in a fictional reality. This is America, not Mad Max, there are no gangs of armed thieves running around stealing and pillaging. I grew up in the hood, I can't think of a single instance that a robbery turned into a homicide. Yet the NRA has these people shaking in their boots like it's a commonplace circumstance. This is nonsense. Should citizens be able to own guns? Yes. Should they need to register them, take the proper training, get background checks, get a national PTP, comply with what ever the government deems necessary to own a gun? Absolutely. Do they need assault rifles, automatic hand guns, high capacity magazines, silencers, bump stocks, or military and tactical gear? Nope. There is no need, none of those things are necessary. If people admit the only rational reason they want any of those things is because they think they are cool and saw it in CoD, or they want to pretend they are in the service, maybe we could get somewhere. But these bogus rationalizations of protecting their families from armed invasions, or being able to stop the government if needed keep this debate going, keeps the NRA in power, and keeps getting innocents killed.
"I don't really have an ego. I have a presence and aura about me that's very reality-based."

-Zen Master Kyrie

« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 925

Sure it could.  I mean a felon can't own a gun, even a felon for some white collar crime or drug offense that harms no one. You have the right to freedom of speech, but you can't just say whatever you want wherever you want either.  Same goes for assembly.  There is nothing stopping reasonable regulation of a constitutional right, especially when the provision specifically talks about regulation.

« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »

Offline seancally

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 24
What concerns me is that Scalia's D.C. vs. Heller ruling in 2008 (?) basically affirmed a constitutional right for private citizens to bear arms with little restriction. My worry is that the gun reform we need would end up running up against that decision and the second amendment (as it's now interpreted) at large. Meaning we need to reexamine that amendment and I'm not sure that can happen in my lifetime.

Secondly, even if we implement strict gun control regulations, there are still SO MANY GUNS in the U.S. I am very confident I could get my hands on a high-caliber rifle through secondhand means if I really wanted one. So while I agree we need better measures - that's a must - I'm not sure that's enough. But I think as soon as we start talking "confiscation" people will start claiming TRYANNICAL GOVERNMENT.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »

Offline seancally

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 24

You may be right. But on the other hand, we don't know what another 20-30 years of mass killings is going to do to an entire new voting block. It isn't the 1700s, 1800s or 1900s anymore. Its a world of instant news access, especially for children. These children may grow up thinking hunting is pretty stupid when weighed against the lives of young children. The newer voting blocks could see hunting as passe. You just don't know.

We will see what type of turnout this March for Life has amongst children, especially high schoolers in this country. The future voting blocks may give a sign on what they think about gun control and the 2nd Amendment. Remember, these are kids that to this point have been unaffected by NRA propaganda yet.

All I am saying is this country and the NRA better get massive gun control legislation passed before a couple of new voting generations growing up in fear of mass killings in schools gets to make the decision for them.

I'd be pumped if there are still enough animals in our wilderness to hunt in 20-30 years. Or enough wilderness to walk around in and look for animals.

EDIT: Sorry for the back-to-back post. Is that frowned upon? Feel like it's frowned upon.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens