Author Topic: Gun Control?  (Read 21644 times)

Re: Gun Control?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2018, 09:49:53 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2080
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Bunch of basketball fans sitting around on the internet saying what will/might/won't/can't help.

It's almost like I wish there was a well established and respected institution with boatloads of people with expertise in data crunching, study design, study/data interpretation and knowledge of public health issues that could be deployed to at least look into the issue...but apparently just that is too partisan.

Absolutely. We all have our own opinions and experiences but ultimately none of us has the expertise and information to definitively pin down what will or won't be effective.

And both regular people like us and those that actually make policy can't be better informed about what would work, because we've forbidden any publicly funded research into it.  That's the travesty that underlies the policy debate.

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2018, 09:53:30 AM »

Offline gift

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 142
I'm almost in favor of banning guns just so we can move on to the next solution when that doesn't work.

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 87
It is disappointing to me that these situations are politized before the people who passed away are even buried. Psychotropic drugs seem to be a common denominator. Maybe itís time to take a closer look at these drugs.

I think much of what I read on cblog about guns is apolitical. It is not "Republicans did this" and "democrats did that"

Instead it is: "let's consider this approach" or "lets consider that approach"

Having a debate about the tradeoffs of different approaches is not political.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »

Offline triboy16f

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 519
I would not make all guns illegal.

Why not?

Us economy will survive and it would result in significan less mass murders, murders in general

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »

Offline liam

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 792
It is disappointing to me that these situations are politized before the people who passed away are even buried. Psychotropic drugs seem to be a common denominator. Maybe itís time to take a closer look at these drugs.

I think much of what I read on cblog about guns is apolitical. It is not "Republicans did this" and "democrats did that"

Instead it is: "let's consider this approach" or "lets consider that approach"

Having a debate about the tradeoffs of different approaches is not political.

I agree. I don't think this is a "Political " argument. I think people just want to feel safe and have their kids feel safe and they feel nothing is even being tried. The time is now to try and do something about this situation.

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2018, 10:20:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1527
  • Pre-school artwork
I still believe that guns should be registered. 

I still believe that gun owners not only need a licence, but have had to have at least some sort of basic gun class.  If you can afford to buy a legal gun, you should be able to afford a low cost gun safety class. 

And I just don't see the purpose of assault weapons.  I know people want to shoot them.   So have gun ranges own them where people can go to shoot them. 

And increase the penalties for someone who lets their guns be used in crimes.  If it is stolen, report it.  If it is to be sold, report it. 

Knicks: Irving, Drummond, Marcus Morris, S. Muhammad, C. Lee, Sullinger, Hield, M. Chriss , V. Carter, T. Zeller, N. Cole, T. Prince, Livio Jean-Charles, Tyler Ulis, N. Collison

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »

Offline triboy16f

• Johnny Most
Gun control would have done nothing to prevent the vegas , florida school mass murders

These killers had no previous criminal records.

Well how about then prevent sale to people with known mental problems?  What if a gun owner develops mental issues after owning a gun?

Bumper stocks should have been automatically banned after the Vegas shooting. But the NRA opposed for whatever bs reason as usual.
Semi automatics are still here. And weapons are getting fancier and more advanced

Only real solution is to ban guns outright.

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »

Offline triboy16f

• Johnny Most

I still believe that gun owners not only need a licence, but have had to have at least some sort of basic gun class.  If you can afford to buy a legal gun, you should be able to afford a low cost gun safety class. 

Would this one or two added steps done anything to prevent th vegas/florida mass shootings??
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:31:22 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1527
  • Pre-school artwork

Would this one or two added steps done anything to prevent th vegas/florida mass shootings??

Can anyone say it could or couldn't?

With most of the ideas, we don't know until we try it.   

But trying ideas to fix a problem is a whole lot better then not trying because there is a group who think it will not help. 

Knicks: Irving, Drummond, Marcus Morris, S. Muhammad, C. Lee, Sullinger, Hield, M. Chriss , V. Carter, T. Zeller, N. Cole, T. Prince, Livio Jean-Charles, Tyler Ulis, N. Collison

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2018, 10:50:47 AM »

Offline liam

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 792
The NRA will not even allow any steps to be taken. Something needs to be tried.

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »

Offline gift

• Don Chaney
Gun control would have done nothing to prevent the vegas , florida school mass murders

Well how about then prevent sale to people with known mental problems?  What if a gun owner develops mental issues after owning a gun?

Bumper stocks should have been automatically banned after the Vegas shooting. But the NRA opposed for whatever bs reason as usual.
Semi automatics are still here. And weapons are getting fancier and more advanced

This solution assumes that banned guns = people don't have guns.

Would you ban all guns on domestic, civilian lands? Like no police or military weapons? They shouldn't need them if guns are banned for everyone else.

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »

Offline triboy16f

• Johnny Most

Can anyone say it could or couldn't?

With most of the ideas, we don't know until we try it.   

But trying ideas to fix a problem is a whole lot better then not trying because there is a group who think it will not help.

Registering weapons maybe helpful against gun buyers that sell it to folks who shouldnt be owning guns.

It wouldnt have helped in the vegas/florida mass shooting cases

These shooters register, attend gun class, sign documents not to hurt innocent people etc

Doesnt matter.

Real control would be banning bumper stocks. Semis. Increasing prices of guns, magazines.  Limiting purchase/ownership of guns per individual/household.  Raising min age gun purchase. Implementing - Automatic death penalty in the event of 1st degree mass murder charge where evidence is clear

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »

Offline triboy16f

• Johnny Most

Would you ban all guns on domestic, civilian lands? Like no police or military weapons? They shouldn't need them if guns are banned for everyone else.

No.  Purpose of gun ownership for police and military would be different.   I would still allows hunters to rent guns as well.

But for the average joe who lives in the US..no guns allowed. It is not a mature enough society to carry guns responsibly.

You want to protect your house from thieves? Buy a guard dog instead.

The NRA has poisoned the publics mind that people are safer with guns than without.  At the end of the day , they and gun makers become rich and there are at least 5-10 school type mass murders every year. No other country faces this issue

Getting sick and tired of this. It is not right.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:13:04 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »

Offline gift

• Don Chaney

No.  Purpose of gun requirements for police and military are different.   I would still allows hunters to rent guns as well.

But for the average joe who lives in the US..no guns allowed. It is not a mature enough society to carry guns responsibly.

You want to protect your house from thieves? Buy a guard dog instead.

The NRA has poisoned the publics mind that people are safer with guns than without.  At the end of the day , they and gun makers become rich and there are at least 5-10 school type mass murders every year. No other country faces this issue

Getting sick and tired of this. It is not right.

What is the purpose of guns for police and military (domestically)?

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 340
The primary reason that a common sense policy cannot be agreed to is that there is a large base out there that has been whipped up with lies to believe that if they allow any gun control at all that it will open the flood gates and shortly after the government will confiscate all guns.

Republicans fall into two categories relative to this conspiracy whisper campaign.  They are either actively promoting the conspiracy or they are quietly playing along keeping that voter base in their camp.  Vote for me or Obama/Clinton/Pelosi/etc. will take your guns away.

I will applaud the first "conservative" that comes out and says no one wants to take hunting rifles away from hunters.  There is no secret democratic/liberal conspiracy to confiscate all guns.  Now with that pretense, can we discuss some common sense reforms?