Author Topic: Goodell Releases Statement, New Policy on Protests  (Read 1492 times)

Re: Goodell Releases Statement, New Policy on Protests
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2018, 09:55:10 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 27
If we watch sports to escape politics, the NFL needs to stop accepting money from the government for ostentatious displays of patriotism and the military.

If respect for the national anthem is becoming a partisan issue, then I don't think the NFL wants to be on the side of "we don't respect the anthem".

Just one man's opinion..

It's sad that people consider kneeling "disrespecting the anthem"

Would you have an issue if JJ Watt were kneeling "in reverence for the troops" during the anthem. Doubt it

But he isn't doing that is he?
As a white male, JJ Watt has no reason to do anything but fall in line and behave the way white America expects him to.
LOL. IdPol is really going to help facilitate discussion ::)

The issue is about police violence against blacks! What do you want to argue? Finance?

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2018, 06:46:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1042
Veterans and those in the military aren't the arbiters of what is patriotic and what is American

Nope, we are the protectors that volunteered time out of our life to serve our country.  I volunteered during my generation's war.   I did not have too, I was a semester from graduation in college.  I did it because my family has always served.   We served in WW2, the Union side of the Civil War and even further back.

Also, I would bet money the real Tom Heinsohn would not agree with you.   I notice you did not respond to my comments but rather a little snipey comment.    How is that going to win people over?

As for what is patriotic, we volunteer to serve our country and protect the Constitution.   This is the oath, I took: 

Download Poster
I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

My feelings about the flag and the anthem are less intense than many -- I consider myself a big fan of America -- but I am not prone to showing patriotism through deference to the flag/anthem.  I am always personally respectful, but I am not triggered emotionally when others aren't.  Just providing a POV to show the breadth of how people in this country can, and do, view things differently.

I think people have every right to protest.   Freedom of Speech, is at the center of what is American.  We all have our individual ways, thoughts and the like.   I simply changed the channel for a few seconds and all was well in the world.   Like I said, it was not effective because its message did not line up with the protest and was detached. 

But just because some folks protest does not mean that everyone agrees with them.

The issue is about police violence against blacks!

Something I think it completely wrong and terrible and do not support.   

At the end of the day, patriotism, police violence and the like did not factor into the league decision it was money.   They made a decision about what was affecting their bottom line.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:55:50 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 172
Oh boy I see we are back to the PC crap on here, some of my posts are being deleted!!

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 907
It does seem interesting to me that the NBA has moved in a progressive direction, where the NFL has moved in a conservative one. I wonder how much it contributes to the NFL ratings declining and the NBA ratings increasing.

And yet the NBA doesn’t allow protests during the anthem.  It’s a business decision made by employers to protect their product.
In fact, the NFL policy is basically the same policy the NBA has had for years.  I mean in 1996, the NBA suspended Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf because he was sitting and praying during the anthem, which he was doing because the flag was a symbol of oppression and that the US had a long history of tyranny.  A couple of days later he worked out a deal with the league wherein he agreed to stand, but they let him close his eyes and look down (during which most games he cited an Islamic prayer).

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 13
Steve Kerr's statements on the policy:

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/999750131397353472

(1 minute video. You may agree or disagree with him, but he's clear and succinct, which I appreciate.)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5389
Gotta say I didn't like Trump saying that people who don't stand for the national anthem shouldn't be in this country.

“I don’t think people should be staying in the locker rooms, but still I think it’s good. You have to stand proudly for the National Anthem, or you shouldn’t be playing, you shouldn’t be there. Maybe you shouldn’t be in the country. You have to stand proudly for the National Anthem.”

I know. I should just get used to his divisive rhetoric that's meant to rile up his base but there's no way the POTUS should say such things

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2018, 06:16:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1042
I think ESPN's decline is somewhat because they too got political.   Of course, cord cutting is another factor IMHO.

http://awfulannouncing.com/orig/espn-culture-wars-liberal-bias-jemele-hill-clay-travis.html

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/07/espn-revenue-viewership-politics-layoffs

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/espn-subscriber-decline-politics-donald-trump/

More on the protests

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20171611/national-anthem-protests-no-1-reason-viewers-tuned-nfl-games

Gotta say I didn't like Trump saying that people who don't stand for the national anthem shouldn't be in this country..

That was indefensible and nonsense for Pres. Trump to say that.   But then think about it all too often it has been par for the course, so to say...