Is Nash a HOFer?

Yes
27 (84.4%)
No
1 (3.1%)
Not Sure
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Will Rose or Nash be the first eligible MVP winner to not be in the HOF  (Read 2470 times)

Re: Will Rose or Nash be the first eligible MVP winner to not be in the HOF
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
FWIW, Basketball Reference has Nash's HOF probability at 98.3%.  61st overall.

Yeah, he's getting in.
the HOF probability is that high because of the 2 MVP's.  Steve Nash finished his career with 14.3 ppg, 8.5 apg, 3.0 rpg.  He was a very poor defender (like IT poor levels at points in time).  No Finals appearances.  8 all star games and 7 all league teams (3 first team) are nice, and obviously the 2 MVP's (whether he should have gotten them or not) are also nice, but I do question whether or not he was good enough long enough to be in the HOF.
If John Stockton made it, there's no doubt that Nash is making it as well.
Are you implying Nash > Stockton?

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 07:42:11 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Nash is a definite Hall of Famer!  Those Suns teams were ahead of their time.  They could have won a title if not for some unfortunate circumstances.  Amare got suspended for game 5 of the WCF Finals in 2005.  They only lost the game to San Antonio by 3 points on their home floor.  A win would have given them a 3-2 lead in the series. 

Amare also missed the prior season but they still took the Mavericks to game 6 of the WCF.  I prefer teams that play defense but it's hard to deny the results. 

Derrick Rose has no shot IMO.  His MVP season was amazing but he never expanded his game.  A commitment to becoming a better shooter would have down wonders for his career.  The injury was unfortunate but he was able to retain the majority of his athleticism.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:53:49 PM by Green-18 »

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Since I'm lazy - are there other examples of HOFers who had a big MVP year but then had their career derailed by injury?

Nope. I looked into myself, and even posed the same question 2-3 years ago when Rose was on the steady decline, and everyone seemed to agree that Rose is the only one.

TP, thanks. It's a little surprising, honestly.

Also I remember distinctly watching the NBA that year and thinking... Derrick Rose is a beast but I still think Lebron is the MVP. I think a lot of people felt that way.
Lebron probably should have won about 6 MVPs in a row. Its much like MJ. He should have won about 8. But the MVP voters get sick of giving it to the same guy so try to go out of their way to give it to others.

I agree, Rose didn't deserve that MVP. Nash probably didn't deserve his. But they got them so you can't that away from them when considering their candidacy for the Hall.

Nash is in. Rose might be the first MVP to not make it but it will be because of the disingration of his game and not because he didn't deserve the MVP.

I disagree about Rose.  Was he the best player in the league at the time?  No.  But regardless of what we each think "most valuable" means, the award is certainly a regular season award and should be based upon regular season performance.  Otherwise, hand the award out at the all-star break.  That regular season, Rose led his team to the best record in the NBA...  and he led them.  The other starters on his team were Luol Deng, Carlos Boozer, Joakim Noah, and Keith Bogans. 

I think Nash deserved his first one.  Best record in the league and was leading the DAntoni-ball that had blown away the league.  They averaged 110ppg that season.  The second best offense averaged 103.  Nash's second MVP season I remember there being a lot of uncertainty who "deserved" it that year.  The boring and balanced Spurs and Pistons were the best teams in each conference and each candidate almost had an excuse why not to get it.  Kobe's team wasn't winning enough, Dirk didn't play D, was Wade even the best player on his own team, etc were all points hashed out on the daily ESPN shows.  There were plenty of players that MVP could have gone to that season though.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 07:46:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
FWIW, Basketball Reference has Nash's HOF probability at 98.3%.  61st overall.

Yeah, he's getting in.

Yea I don't really get how this is even up for a debate. As everyone else said, Nash is definitely getting in, and it won't be particularly close.

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Without a doubt Rose won't get in so an easy yes. 

Of course, judging from the comments clearly many people not understanding the question.  I read it as, will either Nash or Rose not get in the HOF and I say yes because I don't think Rose will.  Looks like many answering yes because they think at least Nash will. 

Funny.