Author Topic: Celtics still third best in the East.  (Read 1537 times)

Celtics still third best in the East.
« on: February 15, 2018, 12:37:46 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Love this team so much more than last year, however the story Remains the Same. I think we're ranked behind Cleveland with the trades, and Toronto is better as well.  Both those teams beat us in a 7 game series just my opinion.

Re: Celtics still third best in the East.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Agreed.   I don't think that's a controversial opinion at this point. Hopefully they start to gel.  In my opinion the difference right now is a) no Smart b) Tatum has hit the rookie wall.  His shot used to be money - now it's off.  If Tatum gets a second wind for the playoffs, and they are healthy, things could change.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:16:00 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Love this team so much more than last year, however the story Remains the Same. I think we're ranked behind Cleveland with the trades, and Toronto is better as well.  Both those teams beat us in a 7 game series just my opinion.
1. The Celtics were the second-best team last year.
2. It's far from a given right now that we're better than teams like Milwaukee and Washington.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:29:47 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We turned over almost our entire roster from last year. Our new roster relies in part on 5 rookies and Smart and Jaylen who are inexperienced still. Some growing pains are to be expected.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
2. It's far from a given right now that we're better than teams like Milwaukee and Toronto.

Considering he mentioned Toronto as someone the Celtics are worse than... Milwaukee seems like the only team worth mentioning.

OP, I agree but think it’s worth mentioning that a lot  comes down to how we look a month from now, and if Hayward Can give us a boost.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 01:35:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2. It's far from a given right now that we're better than teams like Milwaukee and Toronto.

Considering he mentioned Toronto as someone the Celtics are worse than... Milwaukee seems like the only team worth mentioning.

OP, I agree but think it’s worth mentioning that a lot  comes down to how we look a month from now, and if Hayward Can give us a boost.
Washington could pose problems.  Even a team like Philly could pose problems in a 1st round matchup. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Miami with Wade back and Indiana with the Stud play of Oladipo.
But to be fair it's the playoffs, No team in the East not named Cleveland should expect a cake walk.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Miami with Wade back and Indiana with the Stud play of Oladipo.
But to be fair it's the playoffs, No team in the East not named Cleveland should expect a cake walk.

Good chance heat won't make playoffs

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

When I typed Toronto, I meant Washington. Case with Toronto is a lot more clear cut...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not worried about round one.

The Celts can and should beat Indiana, Philly, Miami, Washington, etc.

Round two will probably be against the Cavs; that will be pretty tough.

Let's all just remember, the Celts lost Hayward on day 1. 

Top 3 seed, making round two, possibly pushing the Cavs to 6 or 7, getting a great rookie season out of Tatum .... that's a really good year in light of Hayward's injury.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
They can and they should... but based on what you've seen recently are you convinced they will? I'm not.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think that CLE is going to go on a tear and claim the #1 spot. Long shot- yes.

TOR will be close at a game or two behind, and the Celtics will be a game or two behind them.

Celtics get Philly in the first round then have to go to TOR for the 2nd round. Still better than matching up with CLE in round 2.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 04:44:09 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Agreed.   I don't think that's a controversial opinion at this point. Hopefully they start to gel.  In my opinion the difference right now is a) no Smart b) Tatum has hit the rookie wall.  His shot used to be money - now it's off.  If Tatum gets a second wind for the playoffs, and they are healthy, things could change.

Pretty much agree with all of this, especially the Tatum piece.  Once he started struggling, the team fell apart.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
They can and they should... but based on what you've seen recently are you convinced they will? I'm not.

I am willing to punt on their recent play.  Yes, it sucks that they are 6-9 in their last 15, basically since coming back from London.  Given that trip, the break coming up shortly thereafter and the Smart injury, I will punt.

If they play .500 ball for the first couple weeks after the break...they are in trouble.

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I enjoyed watching last year’s team more. I suspect that having Hayward this year would have changed that.

Regardless of personal enjoyment, I think the team has exceeded reasonable expectations.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes