Author Topic: We Sure We Don't Need Smart??  (Read 1143 times)

We Sure We Don't Need Smart??
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:34:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
This offense has been inconsistent and at times horrible during the year WITH/WITHOUT Smart.

But the biggest difference I'm seeing is, we're missing Smart's toughness and defense.

Forget the offense, and look at the defense. This defense is starting to give up 110+ consistently now, and it's starting to mirror the Cavaliers defense we all used to joke about before the trade deadline..  :(

Yeah, Smart isn't a great shooter and I'm not saying he'd solve our issues on offense, but frankly I think the issues on offense look exponentially greater because our defense is so putrid, to the point where we now have to outscore teams to win, and that simply won't work for us especially without our 2nd best scorer in Hayward.

Hope Smart comes back after the ASB and provides a spark. I think this team really does need him back and he IS VALUABLE to this team after all. Rozier overall had a good stretch and I'm happy for him, but clearly we miss Smart's D and toughness.

It's shown the past 10 days.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: We Sure We Don't Need Smart??
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:41:00 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Smart is our traffic guy on the defensive end. This team is lost without him calling plays.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Well Smart being a dumbass put them in this spot

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Well Smart being a dumbass put them in this spot

Yes, but wishing him traded or gone next year is akin to cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face.  (I think — I never quite get that metaphor correct.)

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:45:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It is clear now that Marcus Smart is going to get paid. We need him on this Celtics team.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:47:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
It is clear now that Marcus Smart is going to get paid. We need him on this Celtics team.

Ideally we keep him at 4 years, between 40-48M.

Frankly I don't see many other teams offering more than that, so we should match.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 11:23:12 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Clearly Smart is more valuable than most of us realized.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 11:30:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Hopefully some us remember these last few weeks the next time he has a 3-13 game or bricks a game-winner.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 11:38:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart's teammates gotta feel severely let down by Smart's actions given he was like this team's captain. Bunch of losses pile up and the defense falls apart. Smart is missed but if I am Stevens and the other players, I am pretty p!ssed off at Smart.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 11:40:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Smart's teammates gotta feel severely let down by Smart's actions given he was like this team's captain. Bunch of losses pile up and the defense falls apart. Smart is missed but if I am Stevens and the other players, I am pretty p!ssed off at Smart.

I think everyone has let each other down.  Smart by being out, but also his teammates for not stepping up.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 11:43:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Hopefully some us remember these last few weeks the next time he has a 3-13 game or bricks a game-winner.

What stat would aim to measure Smart’s absence’s impact? Would it simply be on/off? Do on/off stats capture time Smart is “off court,”  even counting when he is injured?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01/on-off/2018

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 11:54:47 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I don't think this is all about Smart.  Nobody is even trying right now.  We're a layup drill in the paint.  We're giving up a ton of open looks on the perimeter when we were previously (and may still be) the best team in the league in terms of opponent 3P%.  Those are the two things that a defense needs to limit, but we're offering both freely.  Can't win like that.  Smart helps us in these areas, but we still have several good defensive players without him. 

This team is similar to last year's in the sense that they have to play really hard to beat teams.  Defense requires a lot of effort and I think it has worn us down.  Hopefully the break rejuvenates us some. 

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 12:08:00 AM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
Who would of though our best defensive  player is also vital to running our offense?

It has become very clear in the time smart has missed that the team needs him more than we realise.

He is also very vocal calling out screens and to switch on defensive.

Let's hope Marcus makes a speedy recovery because it's no coincidence the team is currently in a slump

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 12:41:56 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Who would of though our best defensive  player is also vital to running our offense?

It has become very clear in the time smart has missed that the team needs him more than we realise.

He is also very vocal calling out screens and to switch on defensive.

Let's hope Marcus makes a speedy recovery because it's no coincidence the team is currently in a slump

Smart's defense and physical play tends to wear the opposition down over the course of a game, so we do better in the second half.